Can someone tell me if the 73 disc brake dust shields are unique to the 73, or....

strokerpost

Reaction score
...can other years be used. I think I read somewhere here that the 68-73 spindles dimensionally are the same in every way except the bearing area, which is a larger diameter on the 73. Anyone know the deal on this? Thanks.

I was told it was 1 yr only. I don't have any shields on my 66, not an issue

Yes they are. But you can easily make a set from a 69-72 disc brake C-body work. I did this on my 73 swap. I had a 71 300 I parted out and used the dust shields from it. The dust shields themsleves are identical, it the opening for the casting around the inner bearing that is different. The 69-72 disc brakes use a smaller inner bearing, and therefore the actual casting on the inside of the rotor is smaller. SO the 73 disc brake inner casting will not slip down all the way. So you just need to remove a little bit of the material from the "hat"? and you good to go.

Measure down about 1/4 inch I think...maybe a bit more. Can't remember now.

Then cut it off and your done. Think I had to just tweak them a little more once I installed the new rotors...but just a quick zip with a grinder to clear the inner par tof the rotor.

Hands down my favorite site on the net!

Knowledge, entertainment, first hand experiences from the old days. I just threw my TV out the window. LOL.

That's what we're here for...to help others in the quest to keep these old cars on the road. If I can pass on a little of my acumulated knowledge then it makes it all worth while. ;)

Back