Can someone tell the name of those rims?

Matze

Reaction score
Hey. I'm new here. Got my 68 Fury III a couple of weeks ago.

I searched for a fitting thread, but couldn't find any. Can someone identify those rims? I couldn't find a complete option list.

Also, my tires are 215/65/15. This size is also written in my registration (German papers). To my knowledge, 215/75/15 was factory standard? Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

930CBB24-E40D-445A-9857-4C6F2FAC8609_1_201_a.jpeg

It would appear from the pic that those are a standard chrome smooth steel rim.
Should have been 14" wheels originally I believe.

Thanks. Searched again for "Smooth Chrome rim" and those turned up:
313 Smoothie - Chrome Rim by Cragar Wheels Wheel Size 15x6

So this is some aftermarket product, right? Nothing that Plymouth provided at that time?

Haven't checked, yet, but I think I got front disc brakes. So 15" would be correct. However, the height of the sidewall made me curious. 65 instead of 75.

The 21565r15 are too small.
The 2157515 will fit and ride better.
Hope this helps.
The chrome smoothies or reversed chrome wheels look good on your car.

Thanks for your replies. I like them too. Haven’t seen them very often.

The 21565r15 are too small.
The 2157515 will fit and ride better.
Hope this helps.

I try to fix that, but since my registration demands 65 height I can’t change them without having them registered. And I have to explain that the speedometer doesn’t need any change because it was a mistake it the first place.
I guess, it leads back to a typo when the car arrived in Germany and received its first papers 14 years ago.
Since then, it rides on 216/65/15

Last edited:
The chrome wheels and “baby moon” caps look good on your car.
If those rims are at least 7” wide you can fit much wider tires on that car if desired in the future.

Thanks. Searched again for "Smooth Chrome rim" and those turned up:
313 Smoothie - Chrome Rim by Cragar Wheels Wheel Size 15x6

So this is some aftermarket product, right? Nothing that Plymouth provided at that time?

Haven't checked, yet, but I think I got front disc brakes. So 15" would be correct. However, the height of the sidewall made me curious. 65 instead of 75.

lots of things not original to your car.

Hier is a link to the 1968 Plymouth Fury data book pages used by the salesman back in the day

The 1970 Hamtramck Registry - 1968 Plymouth Dealership Data Book - Fury

To know if your car came with certain options from the factory like disc brakes you need to decode the fender tag or broadcastsheet.

Carsten

Great looking formal roof hardtop. Those chrome reverse rims and baby moon caps are a good, period correct look.

Great looking formal roof hardtop. Those chrome reverse rims and baby moon caps are a good, period correct look.

Thanks everybody for the encouraging words!!

Initially, I wanted a more sporty look from my first US-car (looked for 67 Coronets/Satellites and Fury Fasttops, but couldn't find one that was right for me). Anyway: Main priorities were: Mopar, 2 door, no B-pillar - That's done! :)

Maybe I give it white letter tires when I correct the size. BFGoodrich has only 215/70/15. Thought about the Goodyear Speedway as well, but those are really expensive in Germany. This leaves only Cooper Cobra with the correct size. Is that suitable or, if not, do you have any idea, what else might fit? Maybe I'm heading in the wrong direction here. Would that look stupid on those rims?

Sorry for all those newcomer questions. This helps me getting a feeling for it.

lots of things not original to your car.

Hier is a link to the 1968 Plymouth Fury data book pages used by the salesman back in the day

The 1970 Hamtramck Registry - 1968 Plymouth Dealership Data Book - Fury

To know if your car came with certain options from the factory like disc brakes you need to decode the fender tag or broadcastsheet.

Carsten

Thanks, this helps a lot.

Not everything has to be as original as possible. But when I start putting money and time in it, I want to do my best to restore the original style.

I know some moldings are missing and it has not the original tailpipes. But what else do you see is not original?

When you download the factory Chrysler service manual from www.mymopar.com, it has a section which details the speedometer gear combination for particular tire sizes. Take the original "inch" width and convert to metric, then add a "75" to it for the complete modern tire size equivalent. Which would make the orig 8.25x14 size into P215/75R-14 equivalent size.

The orig power disc brake size would have been 8.45-15, which woiuld be P215/75R-15, which would have been a slightly taller tire. Which might explain the "65" aspect ratio, which would result in a shorter tire, possibly more the diameter of the P215/75R-14 tires it probably had from the factory, with drum brakes.

There are a few tire size comparison utilities on the Internet. The first one I found was at the Mazda Miata Club website. Put in the metric numbers for one tire, then the tire size it's being compared to. It has a graphic of both sizes "stacked" onto the other and the related speedometer calibration differences in "revolutions/mile". Using the "revs/mile" number, you can then used the tire specs for the tire being considered at www.tirerack.com to determine what sizes might fit your reve/mile criteria. Have to do it with the particular brand/model of tire from their "Specs" chart for each one.

Personally, I've had very good luck with BFG Radial T/As, in both performance and extended-use durability. The P225/70R-15 size in raised white letters is one of the "go to" tires for '70s muscle cars. That size is also equivalent to the G70-15 size in physical dimensions. Unfortunately, they have become a bit more pricey in more recent times.

Congrats on your purchase and enjoy!
CBODY67

Thanks CBODY67.

I'm sure, I will find a size close to the original. Style-wise BFG would be my favorite. Cooper Cobras look a little too close to the 80s (which is nice, but not on the Fury)

So all comes down to checking which type of breaks where the original ones and which are on now. As soon as I have more time for it, I will go to work on that. Unfortunately, it has to stay unattended for another couple of weeks :-/

Thanks also for all the sources. I've done a lot of research beforehand but still, there is much to discover. Thanks for all your input so far!! :)

You can go 22570r15 and get white lettering in a BFG or Cooper Cobra.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Cooper&tireModel=Cobra+Radial+G/T&partnum=27TR5CRGTRWL
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Radial+T/A&partnum=27SR5RADTARWL2V3

Here Frankie,the 69 Fury III with 22570r15 (27.4 O.D.) on 15x7 wheels.
Original size was 7.75-15 but had puny 20575r15 on him when we bought him.
Fills out the wheelwells nicely and rides like a dream..
20201010_131140.jpg

cell sept 2019 002.jpg
cell sept 2019 026.jpeg

Hope this helps.

If those rims are 7” wide 225/70x15 will fit very nicely and are even available at reasonable prices in a whitewall. This size looks great on my Monaco.

Also just a thin pinstripe like the Sport Fury’s came with would be an easy accent that would look original.
upload_2021-2-11_14-24-9.jpeg

RWL tires were not available back in the 1968 model year.

You can probably ask for a Datenblatt in germany and ask the TÜV to put different tires in your paperwork.
You should ask your preferred TÜV station how to get the original type size tires into the paperwork

Carsten

You can go 22570r15 and get white lettering in a BFG or Cooper Cobra.

Here Frankie,the 69 Fury III with 22570r15 (27.4 O.D.) on 15x7 wheels.
Original size was 7.75-15 but had puny 20575r15 on him when we bought him.
Fills out the wheelwells nicely and rides like a dream.. Hope this helps.

I agree. 225/70-15 is a great size for a slab-side and will go perfect on a 7 inch rim.

Jeff

Back