Car stalled on me the other evening

Blackrifle

Reaction score
Coming home late at night with the wife and my son in the car, Stopped at a light and she just stalled, tried to start her up a couple of times and nothing but cranking. I was right next to a gas station and was able to push her into a spot by the pumps thinking maybe I was out of gas. The gauge doesn't work. Dropped a quick 20 into her, she started but immediately died again. So I pushed her away from the pump area and into a parking spot. Open the hood and immediately noticed alot of fuel on the manifold around the carb.
didnt notice anything else really. Since I recently rebuilt the carb I figured maybe my buddy forgot to change something out and that I needed a new carb. Its a 1966 Newport 383 with a 2 bbl Stromberg. Wife called an Uber and we were home in 5 minutes. Next morning I head over she fired right up and ran like it fine. A friend said that possibly the choke closed up and stalled the car out and thats why there was gas all over. I did press the pedal quite a few times when i was blocking traffic in the street.
Any ideas?

Electronic ignition? sounds like it Points sounds like s bad condenser. Look at the points also. Get it to stall then check if ou have spark quickly. The components get hot and fail.

Last edited:
Did the car just die or did it chug a bit before it did?

Only place to gas to get out of that carb is from the bowl vent valve or through the venruis into the intake manifold. Check the spark plugs for "soot" buildup, especially on the center ceramic area and edge of the threads . . . which would indicate a very rich mixture. Also, smell the motor oil on the dipstick. Another sign of a very rich mixture if you smell gas there.

Gas exiting through the bowl vent valve would indicate a "flood" situation from a malfunctioning needle and seat OR a float with a compromised seam solder, letting fuel into it so it does not "float" any more.

Do NOT crank down on the air cleaner stud nut! Just enough tightness to keep things located and tight, that's all.

CBODY67

Electronic ignition? sounds like it Points sounds like s bad condenser. Look at the points also. Get it to stall then check if ou have spark quickly. The components get hot and fail. I have your distributer in it and pertronix

I have your distributor in the car with pertronix.

Just thinking out loud here... But I think you flooded it trying to restart.

Should be fne just next time see if it has spark. One more thing to know works. Flooding can do it also.

through the venruis into...
... worn out throttle shaft bores then out on to the manifold. some percolation in the bowls, out the venturis, engine stalls, driver doesn't "clear flood" by holding the throttle wide open instead presses "the pedal quite a few times".

Last edited:
I once had a 68 fury that would periodically die and not restart. Then an hour or day later it would and run fine. It was an intermittent and annoying problem.
Turned out the filter sock in the fuel tank had torn open, and the line would suck up a bunch of crap in the tank until it choked off the fuel supply. Then eventually the suction would go away and the crap fell away from the fuel line and the car would start again.

Just an idea when you run out of other ideas...

For me the carb is guilty, as it most likely flooded your engine, inside and out.
I had the same problem on my '58. It would stall and I would find small puddles of gas on the intake manifold.
Later, once the excess gas had evaporated, it would restart.

I rebuilt the carb once, but it did it again after that.
Then I changed the carb to a modern one, problem solved.

Back