Car stereo upgrades

polara383500

Reaction score
Has anyone did any kind of upgrades! I want to leave the stock one in place but hook up a a new one with speaker and amps. Maybe put the new head unit in glove box or in my console so I don’t touch the stock dash!
1685DEE7-30A1-49FD-B373-B2C0C60D7C3F.jpeg

Am/FM. Bluetooth, USB, hands free calling.
Can also get pre-amp outputs. No need for another head unit.
Aurora Radio Conversions. I had mine done by Gary Tayman (Florida).
I would believe he would also make it work with the 8 track. An option.
image.jpg

Am/FM. Bluetooth, USB, hands free calling.
Can also get pre-amp outputs. No need for another head unit.
Aurora Radio Conversions. I had mine done by Gary Tayman (Florida).
I would believe he would also make it work with the 8 track. An option.
View attachment 461678
Yeah for the work it’s like 400$ just for the radio! That’s crazy

Yes not the cheapest option, but for me the hassle of finding a good convenient spot and still control it going down the road was a plus. I have spent money on worse things.
I considered it a little present to myself.
I really wanted to do the conversion myself and save some money, but couldn’t find anyone to just sell me the parts.

Yeah for the work it’s like 400$ just for the radio! That’s crazy

This is another area where I think you get what you pay for.

Sure you can run down to walmart and put together a throw-away set up for $2-300 that will make noise, for a while, but a quality system with good sound will cost a little bit of money.

Last edited:
This is another are where I think you get what you pay for.

Sure you can run down to walmart and put together a throw-away set up for $2-300 that will make noise, for a while, but a quality system with good sound will cost a little bit of money.
Yeah I don’t mind spending a lil money just not 400 to 500 on a head unit!!

I have been considering just getting an amplifier with equalizer and Bluetooth and run everything off my phone and leave my AM radio alone for awhile.
Put 6 by 9's in the cutouts in back and everything else hidden under the seat.
There was a topic not long ago talking about this and a guy gave a whole bunch of good info on the subject. I will try to find and post a link.

I have been considering just getting an amplifier with equalizer and Bluetooth and run everything off my phone and leave my AM radio alone for awhile.
Put 6 by 9's in the cutouts in back and everything else hidden under the seat.
There was a topic not long ago talking about this and a guy gave a whole bunch of good info on the subject. I will try to find and post a link.
I wouldn’t mind something like that where my phone plugs into you like a switch board or a crossover to Amps and speakers.

There are many ways and many different products that will do what you want - phone to amp and then to speakers. Here is one example that should work at moderate/low cost. Get this Bluetooth receiver designed specifically for cars. It has a blue wire to turn your amp on/off automatically when bluetooth connects with your phone. Then get 2 splitters like these to connect to a small class D amp like this which then connects to 4 speakers. I have a clone of this amp. It wont do 4 X 100 but will do more than enough. The Bluetooth receiver can go behind your dash high up preferably behind plastic instead of metal. The directions should tell u more. You will need to connect the Bluetooth receiver to a switched 12v. The amp can be placed in your trunk or probably under your front seat. You will need to get power to it and get the signal from the Bluetooth thing to the amp. Probably best to get an amp kit like this to connect everything but my choice would be to get black wire for under the hood cuz red is ugly. You are in for $160 at this point and that is before speakers. No AM/FM or CD. Only what can play from your phone. Nothing is seen except the under hood wires. And speaking of the phone you will need a charge port for that too so probs something like this cigarette charger. They have them with volt meters built in which is cool too but very modern looking. This is just an example so people can get an idea of what's involved in terms of equipment and cost. I have never actually used this particular BT receiver. In my other cars I used modern head units with BT built in. So please read reviews. There are amps that have the BT receiver built in. Search for BT amplifier. I didn't choose this because I think the BT standard changes often enough plus our phones do too that its wise to keep them separate so we can buy new BT receivers as we need them. For my own fury I keep changing my mind as new equipment comes out. That and I have trouble justifying all this additional stuff when I still have a bulkhead connector. Gotta keep my priorities straight.

All I can tell is you're confused and you contradict yourself, I can't help you! Good Luck
Not confused! I said I wasn’t spending 400$ to 500$ just on a head unit when I can spend that much on a whole system! I was just looking for a way to bypass the whole head unit cause I only listen to my phone!

There are many ways and many different products that will do what you want - phone to amp and then to speakers. Here is one example that should work at moderate/low cost. Get this Bluetooth receiver designed specifically for cars. It has a blue wire to turn your amp on/off automatically when bluetooth connects with your phone. Then get 2 splitters like these to connect to a small class D amp like this which then connects to 4 speakers. I have a clone of this amp. It wont do 4 X 100 but will do more than enough. The Bluetooth receiver can go behind your dash high up preferably behind plastic instead of metal. The directions should tell u more. You will need to connect the Bluetooth receiver to a switched 12v. The amp can be placed in your trunk or probably under your front seat. You will need to get power to it and get the signal from the Bluetooth thing to the amp. Probably best to get an amp kit like this to connect everything but my choice would be to get black wire for under the hood cuz red is ugly. You are in for $160 at this point and that is before speakers. No AM/FM or CD. Only what can play from your phone. Nothing is seen except the under hood wires. And speaking of the phone you will need a charge port for that too so probs something like this cigarette charger. They have them with volt meters built in which is cool too but very modern looking. This is just an example so people can get an idea of what's involved in terms of equipment and cost. I have never actually used this particular BT receiver. In my other cars I used modern head units with BT built in. So please read reviews. There are amps that have the BT receiver built in. Search for BT amplifier. I didn't choose this because I think the BT standard changes often enough plus our phones do too that its wise to keep them separate so we can buy new BT receivers as we need them. For my own fury I keep changing my mind as new equipment comes out. That and I have trouble justifying all this additional stuff when I still have a bulkhead connector. Gotta keep my priorities straight.

Yes you were the guy I remember and thanks for posting all of that again,, really nice of you. I want to do what I had in my cars in the 70's with 2 6/9's in the back shelf only. Any recommendations for 6 by 9 speakers??

It seems to me the best choice is get the current radio upgraded, then simply plug your phone into the (new) socket, and - adjusting the radio to the Bluetooth frequency play your phone through your radio.

No need to listen to the radio, just Bluetooth. Otherwise you could just call one of the conversion guys, get their opinion and proceed fully informed.

Happy listening once everything is done.

Polara383500
I went the cheapest and easiest route for my wagon.I bought a JBL Bluetooth speaker that hangs from the rearview mirror that connects to my phone that I connect to my SirrusXm app on my phone and listen to that.The cost was $50.00.Here are pictures of it and the packaging. The sound is perfect as it's at ear level and can be adjusted either on the speaker itself or by adjusting the media volume on my phone.

20210525_180624.jpg

20210525_180631.jpg

20210525_180624.jpg

Yes you were the guy I remember and thanks for posting all of that again,, really nice of you. I want to do what I had in my cars in the 70's with 2 6/9's in the back shelf only. Any recommendations for 6 by 9 speakers??

Mostly because cars are less "thick" then they used to be I haven't bought a 6x9 in years. At the risk of sounding like a broken record I usually start with sites like sonicselectronix and crutchfield are filter for sensitivity over 90db. Its not that <90 sound bad, just that they usually need more power to sound good. Even more than a modern head unit provides. When I do this filter I still get a lot of choices. I usually rule out BOSS, Soundstream, poweracoustik, etc. Even though I like their amps sometimes, not so much with the speakers. Then I sort by price ascending and usually set a limit of around $150 although $100 is what I prefer. I know I'm eliminating some great sounding speakers, but I cant justify the $$. I don't think $200 sound 2X as good as $100. I'm sure someone could prove me wrong. Some brands like Hertz I've never heard. Anyway with the results I use reviews where ever I can find them. I also look for last years model if they are around. More than once I have come back to Infinity Reference, JBL GTO (older), Infinity Kappa (only on sale). You wouldn't go wrong with Kicker, and Pioneer, Kenwood Excelon. I just haven't heard them in forever. If I was buying a better than average pair tomorrow they would be either the older JBL GTO939 or the Infinity Ref9633. But admittedly Im biased because Ive had good results.

And related pretty sure I/we (69 fury) can fit these Infinity Kappa 4x6 plates in the 4X10 dash slot. Face the tweets at each other using a custom adapter. I have a parts 69 dash and the opening is bigger than 4x10 and a custom adapter would allow most of the woofers to show. Then in the corners a set of shallow wide range tweets like these. These tweets go down to 400 hz so you get highs and midrange. Hoping to get some stereo effect back. All 4 powered by a similar amp to what I suggested earlier. Then another, maybe same amp, to power shallow midrange in the kicks (I already have holes - I did not do it!) and 6x9 in the rear armrest. Again the PO put holes in those valuable things. And then sub. Maybe 2 10s behind seat, or shallow under seat. Not sure if its shallow enough. As soon as I figure it out I find a new brand or idea. But its all fun. I figure since I look at this stuff I might as well pass it on.

Back