Car stereo upgrades

Mostly because cars are less "thick" then they used to be I haven't bought a 6x9 in years. At the risk of sounding like a broken record I usually start with sites like sonicselectronix and crutchfield are filter for sensitivity over 90db. Its not that <90 sound bad, just that they usually need more power to sound good. Even more than a modern head unit provides. When I do this filter I still get a lot of choices. I usually rule out BOSS, Soundstream, poweracoustik, etc. Even though I like their amps sometimes, not so much with the speakers. Then I sort by price ascending and usually set a limit of around $150 although $100 is what I prefer. I know I'm eliminating some great sounding speakers, but I cant justify the $$. I don't think $200 sound 2X as good as $100. I'm sure someone could prove me wrong. Some brands like Hertz I've never heard. Anyway with the results I use reviews where ever I can find them. I also look for last years model if they are around. More than once I have come back to Infinity Reference, JBL GTO (older), Infinity Kappa (only on sale). You wouldn't go wrong with Kicker, and Pioneer, Kenwood Excelon. I just haven't heard them in forever. If I was buying a better than average pair tomorrow they would be either the older JBL GTO939 or the Infinity Ref9633. But admittedly Im biased because Ive had good results.

And related pretty sure I/we (69 fury) can fit these Infinity Kappa 4x6 plates in the 4X10 dash slot. Face the tweets at each other using a custom adapter. I have a parts 69 dash and the opening is bigger than 4x10 and a custom adapter would allow most of the woofers to show. Then in the corners a set of shallow wide range tweets like these. These tweets go down to 400 hz so you get highs and midrange. Hoping to get some stereo effect back. All 4 powered by a similar amp to what I suggested earlier. Then another, maybe same amp, to power shallow midrange in the kicks (I already have holes - I did not do it!) and 6x9 in the rear armrest. Again the PO put holes in those valuable things. And then sub. Maybe 2 10s behind seat, or shallow under seat. Not sure if its shallow enough. As soon as I figure it out I find a new brand or idea. But its all fun. I figure since I look at this stuff I might as well pass it on.
I did pioneer’s in my F150 6x9 with components. I was thinking 5.25 all around and a pair of tens in the back! With west sound Bluetooth controller and a skar 7band eq where I can control more of the sound quality! Haven’t thought of what amps. Rockville gets great reviews and meet watts there watts say on amp dynos

There are many ways and many different products that will do what you want - phone to amp and then to speakers. Here is one example that should work at moderate/low cost. Get this Bluetooth receiver designed specifically for cars. It has a blue wire to turn your amp on/off automatically when bluetooth connects with your phone. Then get 2 splitters like these to connect to a small class D amp like this which then connects to 4 speakers. I have a clone of this amp. It wont do 4 X 100 but will do more than enough. The Bluetooth receiver can go behind your dash high up preferably behind plastic instead of metal. The directions should tell u more. You will need to connect the Bluetooth receiver to a switched 12v. The amp can be placed in your trunk or probably under your front seat. You will need to get power to it and get the signal from the Bluetooth thing to the amp. Probably best to get an amp kit like this to connect everything but my choice would be to get black wire for under the hood cuz red is ugly. You are in for $160 at this point and that is before speakers. No AM/FM or CD. Only what can play from your phone. Nothing is seen except the under hood wires. And speaking of the phone you will need a charge port for that too so probs something like this cigarette charger. They have them with volt meters built in which is cool too but very modern looking. This is just an example so people can get an idea of what's involved in terms of equipment and cost. I have never actually used this particular BT receiver. In my other cars I used modern head units with BT built in. So please read reviews. There are amps that have the BT receiver built in. Search for BT amplifier. I didn't choose this because I think the BT standard changes often enough plus our phones do too that its wise to keep them separate so we can buy new BT receivers as we need them. For my own fury I keep changing my mind as new equipment comes out. That and I have trouble justifying all this additional stuff when I still have a bulkhead connector. Gotta keep my priorities straight.
The controller and EQ from sonicelectronics

I did pioneer’s in my F150 6x9 with components. I was thinking 5.25 all around and a pair of tens in the back! With west sound Bluetooth controller and a skar 7band eq where I can control more of the sound quality! Haven’t thought of what amps. Rockville gets great reviews and meet watts there watts say on amp dynos
Seems like a good plan. I too have read good things about this series of Rockville amps. Pretty much they are very similar underneath but the marketing and price point is good. In years past Rockville was BOSS-like. Now with this series it better. As far as the EQ there was another thread around using it and its a good idea if you dont mind it out wher you can see it. Some EQs allow the stock HU to connect with high level speaker wires. There is your AM if you want it. Then the AUX input would be your BT receiver. I used this method in an old Explorer but no BT, just wired to phone.

I would have no issues getting SKAR or NVX brand. Just need a bit more power. I like silk tweeters. Smoother than others. And most of those EQs also are line drivers that increase the preamp voltage. That can help with overcoming noise issues as well as running the amps cooler.

I built a center console similar to your first picture. Put a cheap *** "Best Buy" stereo head in it, put medium cheap *** 6x9 speaker with the second one mounted in the rear seat ( mines a convert) and then my buddys 18 year old son took over and put a big *** woofer speaker and and amplifier in the trunk- now I can hear Waylon and Willie with the top down on the road to the beer store. Thats my story and stickin with it- RJ
stereo.JPG

I built a center console similar to your first picture. Put a cheap *** "Best Buy" stereo head in it, put medium cheap *** 6x9 speaker with the second one mounted in the rear seat ( mines a convert) and then my buddys 18 year old son took over and put a big *** woofer speaker and and amplifier in the trunk- now I can hear Waylon and Willie with the top down on the road to the beer store. Thats my story and stickin with it- RJView attachment 462062
In the vert where did you put the speakers in the back?

When I put in my 6/9's I would love to find two vintage Jensen speaker grills. Back in the day Jensen 6/9 coaxials were the ones I ran.

s-l1600.jpg

I seen these cause there shallow mount for the kickpanels undertow dash.
644F93EE-9E6C-42B8-A496-4831909DB154.jpeg

For the kick panels I was really hoping one of these neodymium magnet midranges would fit. There are multiple clones of these. The small magnets might just fit into the holes depending on model. Of course there is very little bass so subs required. Also I could just cut the pedal pad off and relocate it offset. Some people cut off the entire ebrake pedal and reweld offset maybe 1-2".

upload_2021-5-26_10-13-9.png

Ok, so what I did...I've got something called a tail gate. It's just a boom box with a mic attached if I want to sing along.. even has a stake hole if I want to mount it on a truck box ))

Charge it up or run off lighter power. Picks up blue tooth. It's about the size of a carry one suitcase. Loud af.

I charge it while working in the shop, toss it in whatever car I'm taking out and just run it with my phone and it sitting on the back seat..))....but I live back in the hills a bit. We do it different. Cost 80 bucks

Back