Car won't crank, need help- ideas?

James Chochole

Reaction score
My '75 Monaco won't crank on the key. Here's the riddle:
1. new battery & solenoid
2. when key is turned to start, solenoid clicks
3. I jumped the old solenoid and jumped the starter relay and the started does crank
4. no new wiring or changes to the car have been made.

Any ideas? Could this indicate a bad relay?

Thanks,
James

Both relays click?
But the starter turns if you jump across the relay?
That will rule out the wiring and connection at the starter being a problem

What changed since the last time the car started?

It may be a relay. More importantly, is have you inadvertently undone something?

Actually no, have not messed with anything. I am just troubleshooting the existing condition since I bought it. I have a relay coming today, so I'll try that.

Are the battery terminal posts AND the inside of the cable ends CLEAN from having been cleaned with a wire brush cleaner? They might look good, but actually have a thin layer of gunk between them. I used a meter and had voltage through them, but the relay would not click when the key was turned. It did this on the 4th consecutive starting try. A new relay did not change anything. Cleaned things up and all has been well since then.

Just my experiences,
CBODY67

Holy smokes, the starter cranks in neutral! Sooo, sounds like my neutral safety switch went bad, right? The darn thing will not start in park but will in neutral. I'll replace that plug then....quick question: if I start the car in neutral can I then shift into "park" or will it kill the motor?

Last edited:
Holy smokes, the starter cranks in neutral! Sooo, sounds like my neutral safety switch went bad, right? The darn thing will not start in park but will in neutral. I'll replace that plug then....quick question: if I start the car in neutral can I then shift into "park" or will it kill the motor?
No, it should stay running.

Sooo, sounds like my neutral safety switch went bad, right?
Maybe not. Could be the plastic isolator?? on the rooster comb, in the trans. When you pull the neutral safety switch, look carefully in the hole for any clues. This really depends on the year of the trans.

Could also be your shifter linkage out of adjustment, tho you shouldn't get any clicking then. Worth wiggling it in park to see

Back