Carb adpt plate?

I thought I had done my homework before getting the AVS2 for the stock 383 with AFB. Both the mfr and dealer said this was direct fit, but need the throttle adapter. And, I do not see the problem brought up here clearly, but the larger bores and butterflies on the new carb will not work on the stock manifold for my 66. I have no idea whether the intake was modified before they went to thermoquad. Edelbrock says you need adapter plates for ford, chevy, and for the thermoquad, but needs to include the AFB. So after finding interference, I went back to Summit for the adapter plate....that now I have to wait another week for. What I will say that is positive, is that I did start the engine with the new carb mounted.....and what a difference over the rebuilt AFB.....fantastic. They were right about the new boosters for mid range.....so far with minimal testing.

I went ahead and got the adapter and throttle linkage kit, for my 68 300 with 440 I got the wood adapter plate. As of yet I have not yet installed. This set up with AVS2 was highly recommended.

You were better informed and prepared than I was. Here is hoping the Summit plate works.

This thread came to my attention after noticing how the gasket for my 1405 lays over the edges of the old stock mid 1960s iron intake manifold on my 383. I tested for a vacuum leak, spraying Berryman carb cleaner around that gasket at the carb's base, with the predictable result of bogging the idle down until the carb cleaner had been exhausted.

I tightened each stud nut about 1/2 turn, tested again, with considerably less bogging, and a better idle, and had to call it "good" for the afternoon, having an Rx appt to keep.

Still, aside from any fruitless blaming the narrow experienced mechanic who installed that carb for our money, the fact remains that a better seal with any carb gasket can be effected if I have a suitable adapter. The added advantage of thermally isolating the carburetor as the hot season comes on in Toostoned, AZ also merits getting some spacer, plate, thermal gasket or such more rigid means of interfacing the 1405 to that old 4 barrel intake meant for a Carter AVS. The Edelbrock 8723 phenolic wood spacer looks promising. Do any of you know of something better?

Back