Carpet for Plymouths?

Jeff

Reaction score
I've got a thread going on the interior forum about this (Need floor measurement), but wanted to take it to a wider audience because I think it will be of general interest. I've got a 1970 Fury, and I ordered a carpet from Trim Parts. It didn't fit quite right--in the rear section of the carpet, the side seat belt humps were about four inches too far forward. After some back and forth on the above thread, Big John figured out that they are probably using the Chrysler C-body floor mold, which would be about four inches longer in the rear foot wells. I asked Trim Parts and they confirmed they are using the Chrysler mold and offered me a refund. They were great to work with and the carpet looks nice, so I would buy from them if they had the right carpet.

Before ordering from Stock Interiors, I explained what happened with Trim Parts and asked them to confirm that their Fury carpet uses a Fury-specific mold. Unfortunately, they confirmed that they get their carpet from ACC and it uses a Chrysler mold. They also confirmed that ACC and Trim Parts are the only aftermarket carpet manufacturers.

I tried to confirm with ACC that they use a Chrysler mold but they have not been very forthcoming about it. At first they said "I do have this vehicle mold and it is made to fit for the 1970 Fury." When pressed, they waffled and sent me information that seems to indicate that they use the same mold for a long list of cars, including Chryslers, Dodges, and Plymouth. I went back to Stock Interiors about it, and they said they got their information from the ACC plant manager, so I believe it is the correct answer.

My question for the group is: Has anyone ordered a Plymouth 2-dr carpet from ACC (or one of its vendors) and how did it fit? Does it have the side seat belt humps?

Did you end up cutting the Trim Parts carpet in half yet?

I'm wondering if you could modify the carpet.... I'm thinking that the rear "shelf" area could be cut and stitched. That's the way a shop would make a carpet.

I have not cut it in half yet. I've been thinking about the same thing you suggested, but one problem is that I put holes in it for the transmission tunnel seat belt bolts before I noticed the fit problem. That means I can't cut it across the foot wells and slide the front portion back without exposing the holes. I'll need to forego the refund to do it. I'll decide after I hear if anyone had good luck with the ACC carpets.

I saved this thread on the Hamb for when I do the carpet in my Windsor. Since you cut the holes, maybe you can change the section around the seat belts.
Post #4.

forming carpet?

Jeff, let's be frank here. The ACC carpet for "Plymouth" totally sucks. I'm pissed. The section for the retractor belts is nowhere near as bad as the front section. The hump is ridiculous, there's so much material. Moreover, the rear section needs to have the sides extend back to the trunk divider due to the shape of the back seat. Just terrible.

Jeff, let's be frank here. The ACC carpet for "Plymouth" totally sucks. I'm pissed. The section for the retractor belts is nowhere near as bad as the front section. The hump is ridiculous, there's so much material. Moreover, the rear section needs to have the sides extend back to the trunk divider due to the shape of the back seat. Just terrible.
I have to say that my Trim Parts carpet fit my 300 convertible perfectly.

It replaced a carpet that was sourced from Legendary and I believe they buy from ACC. That carpet fit terrible. The area around the retractors was filled with foam to build up the spot where the carpet didn't fit. I know this was a Legendary sourced carpet because the car came with a envelope of receipts from a previous owner (not the PO I bought the car from).

I got mine from Trim Parts but I know both companies use a standard C body mold. Mine fit OK up front. If I were to to do it again, I would buy it from Trim Parts and use the cut and stitch method on the back to shorten it up to fit the seatbelt retractors. But that wouldn't help with your need for the carpet to go to the trunk divider. Trim Parts gave me a full refund, btw.

I got mine from Trim Parts but I know both companies use a standard C body mold. Mine fit OK up front. If I were to to do it again, I would buy it from Trim Parts and use the cut and stitch method on the back to shorten it up to fit the seatbelt retractors. But that wouldn't help with your need for the carpet to go to the trunk divider. Trim Parts gave me a full refund, btw.
If had the space/time to let this car sit any longer, I probably would have contacted them and done the same and tried to source it elsewhere. However, I don't have that luxury, so I'll go with what I got. At least the bench seat covers up most of the carpet so you can't see how ill-fitting it is. I know this: I am certainly going to try harder to source a front floor mat that goes over the hump.

Back