Carter AVS running/starting issues

When the fuel pump diaphram starts to seep, the released fuel will exit through the "weep hole" in the pump body housing. Which can also result in a fuel smell.

Fuel pump pushrods do wear down. I have only come across this on high milage motors. If you suspect that it is the pump or the pushrod you could buy a cheap low pressure electric fuel pump and do a temporary hock up to see if that solves your delivery problem.

Actually I just ordered a mechanical fuel pump, but I see where your getting at.
I'll look around and see if I can find a 2 gallon Jerry can and strap a fuel pump to it.

(How vice grip garage guys start a car sitting for extended period of time) they use a Jerry can & pump also.

When the fuel pump diaphram starts to seep, the released fuel will exit through the "weep hole" in the pump body housing. Which can also result in a fuel smell.
There are small holes here and there on the firewall so I reckon the fuel smell was able to snake through there...

Actually I just ordered a mechanical fuel pump, but I see where your getting at.
I'll look around and see if I can find a 2 gallon Jerry can and strap a fuel pump to it.

(How vice grip garage guys start a car sitting for extended period of time) they use a Jerry can & pump also.
That way, they get clean fuel rather than the phase-separated gunk at the bottom of the fuel tank. A CLEANER option is to head down to the big box sporting good store and get a portable fuel tank for an outboard motor boat. About 5 gallons, or less, some with even a bulb fuel pump to get things started with, too. Can be used for other things, too. But not in the "vice grip" orientation, but probably MUCH SAFER than an open bucket of gasoline.

CBODY67

That way, they get clean fuel rather than the phase-separated gunk at the bottom of the fuel tank. A CLEANER option is to head down to the big box sporting good store and get a portable fuel tank for an outboard motor boat. About 5 gallons, or less, some with even a bulb fuel pump to get things started with, too. Can be used for other things, too. But not in the "vice grip" orientation, but probably MUCH SAFER than an open bucket of gasoline.

CBODY67

I'll try sports academy or Cabelas, a hunting equipment store, few miles from here, and yes an open gas container is a no no.

Wouldn't want the fuel vapors igniting for some odd reason.

Update: I have acquired a new fuel pump.
Pumps fuel no problem, but fuel is still not reaching the carburetor, if I pull the fuel hose/line that attaches to the carb.
Not much fuel trickles out, I am at a loss on this issue.

Had a massive backfire that sounded like a gun going off, ears are still ringing lol.

Have a strong hunch it's fuel issue related, just have no idea why little to no fuel is pumping to the carb.

Things I have done:

New fuel pump, pumps no problem.

Retarded the distributor timing around to 10*

Cranked cranked cranked to "prime" carb.

Spark is present as the engine will run 3 seconds before dying again.
(Dumping fuel in the intake.

Appreciate the words of wisdom again sir's.

Edit: heard stories of a collapsed fuel inlet hose just before the fuel pump.
Will replace & inspect.

Will keep the carburetor's vent open and will attempt at re-fire.

Last edited:
Is it possible you have a clogged fuel line somewhere? Try connecting the fuel pump with some rubber fuel line directly from the new fuel pump to the carb. You are getting fuel pumping out of the pump but nothing to the carb. If the pump is pumping fuel, then I would think the problem would be between the pump and the carb. Make sure there is no problem with the filter.

Torrential downpour over here, had to cut the testing short. Will update with sitrep once it's not soaking wet outside on the pavement.

Finally was able to remove the plug, removing the alternator bracket or sliding the belt adjusting bracket away helps with accessing the fuel pump push rod plug.

Will update again once I'm able to remove the fuel pump pushrod.

20220826_192257.jpg

20220827_120134.jpg

20220827_120138.jpg

20220827_120141.jpg

20220827_120340.jpg

20220827_120345.jpg

Pushrod came out, and wasn't mushroomed on the cam end of the pushrod.

You can't beat 50+ year old original parts.
Same length after all these years of service.

You can also see where the pushrod was being "hammered" on the pump lever end. With small indentations.

20220827_121755.jpg

20220827_121801.jpg

20220827_121454.jpg

20220827_121451.jpg

20220827_121502.jpg

I didn't see anything wrong with the line/hose that goes from the fuel pump to the filter to the carburetor.

Hope where the fuel pump pushrod rides on the cam end is not "wiped" *gulp*

I'll still proceed with the fuel pump output test, fuel pump pushrod is still suspect. I've heard the normal measurement for the push rod is now updated to 3.23? Not the old nominal measurement of 3.22.

I read somewhere that the fuel pump spring being too tight causing issues also?
(It's a carter pump # 3672)

Aside from the pushrod fiasco, I'm running out of possible suspects, I'll inspect the rubber hose just before the sender and see if there's a pin hole where the fuel pump is able to potentially suck air.

Last edited:
Back