WANTED Carter bbd parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reaction score
Contact seller
Hello
I have 1968 carter bbd from 383cid

I need metering rods and maybe step-up piston with rod assembly.

Maybe some jets...

I live in Finland, Europe but those parts can ship cheap by envelope. I have PayPal.

Thank you!

I rebuilt a 4578s BBD this summer and could only find a basic kit. Gaskets, accelerator piston etc. but no metering rods or jets to be found except used ones. Posted on here looking for setup info on some of the parts and got many looks but no response. Did find one aftermarket vendor that made parts years ago but nobody had stock.

It took parts from 3 carbs to make 1 good one. I found out that the parts store units just get cleaned and new gaskets.

I guess BBD's are just not popular, at least in the variation I have.

I regonized same!

I have 1 1/2" bore model which is rarer i think. 1 1/4" is common on small engines.

Used pars are fine to me. Do you know does those carb has many different size rods or jets in same size carbs depending year?

Or if someone can give metering rod tip measure so i can check those. They are bent and maybe oxidised. Jets are full of oxidisation and other stuff.

Step-up piston were stuck but now its on table. That can maybe made but rod hanger/assembly is maybe bad to do diy?

Mine is a 1-1/2 also. I have another one I need to work on this winter so give me a day or so and I'll pull it apart and get some measurements.

I soaked the stripped body in Berryman Chem-dip (the oldstinky kind that really works)and then polished it with a soft stainless wheel in a die grinder. Soaked the brass parts in kerosene for a week and polished them to. Metering rods very carefully polished with a worn out Sctch-brite and then 1500 grit sandpaper.

Biggest issue was leveling the bowl and air horn to get them to seal.

Help me out here. 1968 should be an AFB correct? If so you're playing with Edelbrock parts that basically copy the AFB series Carters. Metering rodz and Jets are sold on line individually and in Kits. Pick your poison?, Jer

I dont know. Is afb different than ball & ball? My carb knowledge bases on newer 4bbl quadras, edels and holleys.

I heard that jets style changed some year and older are very rare. I have short screw and long jet part.

Sorry Ville, I Miss spoke. I thought by '68 Mother had switched to the AVS, If your '68 Carter IS AVS, you're in good shape for the Edelbrock swap. What is the Model# on your Carter? Jer

Might be Mr. Polara_500, but if it iz it's been replaced by the 4 barrel that that car came with. My research tells me ALL RB engines Chrysler products came with 4 barrel AVS carburetors from 1968 through 1971. The only variations in the model #s being A/C or non A/C cars and a few standard transmission cars. The LA series engines being the exception with a few different 2 barrel model #s for the 318 and /6 cars produced, Jer

Okay, maybe so, but I wasn't aware of any RB 383's after 1960 or so, certainly not into the 68 model year. I do know 'most' 383's came with a 2 bbl.

Had a little time to dig, here's all the specifics I can dig up for you Ville...

Attachments

• Carter BBD pp1 68-69.pdf
    396.5 KB · Views: 649
  • Carter BBD pp2 68-69.pdf
    595.5 KB · Views: 373
Thanks for data. There is three different size rods?

Heres link for jets and rods
Carter
Carter

Id tag is lost. Carb has 1774 number, 6-1790 and many patent numbers.

It is from 1968 engine so its only hint and large bore.

Carb is now coming in whole different car. I googled and found this forum and think that i may get help there and thank you for many answers!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back