CATL 2022: C-bodies At The Lake on Saturday, Sept. 17, 2021 (Clinton Lake, IL to Kokomo Plant, IN)

Off to Clinton Lake!

F9CE9F6E-9764-4AE7-AED0-AECDD6A42418.jpeg

Edited 9-18, to add a photo showing the three Illnoisian cars at the Clinton lake (yesterday, I posted quickly from my phone) — the L in CATL stands for « lake » after all. From left to right are @SGVert 's superb 1968 woodgrain convertible, @73 New Yorker 's shiny 1973 NYB, and Buttercup (my GY4 Honeydew 1972 NYB).

IMG_6482.JPG

Leaving the Clinton Lake recreation area, we had to stop for amazing wild flowers. Truly beautiful area, and it was the perfect time to visit.

Off to Gibson city!

67E3B4E3-4DA3-4232-8965-20BFC86F8A3E.jpeg

Last edited:
We arrived at Petersen Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep-Ram right on time. The very nice dealer was there, who came to talk with us. She was tickled that we had stopped by, even though we were unannounced (with older cars, one never knows what can happen, so I had decided to wing it). She had a sense of humor, too, and asked if we wanted to trade in :)

IMG_6498.JPG

One of her customers had left a number of fifties-sixties Mopars on her lot. They came from the customer's late father's estate. The customer plans to restore the Dodge Royal, but she has not made plans for the others and the outlook seems grim -- all the more so that they were in a flood earlier this year (notice that they are parked in a depression on the property, and it flooded during a flash storm this summer). The interiors of the two Imps and of the Windsor were rather roached, though for the right member there may have some useful spare parts (the trim seemed to be all there, at least at a quick glance). @BLIMP

1E970A0C-AB7C-4324-A2ED-93D92E61291A.jpeg

IMG_6500.JPG

IMG_6503.JPG

IMG_6508.JPG

E6D1CEDA-002D-43F7-8015-5E3BEC722629.jpeg

24185E37-13AE-405A-BCFF-8D5AEAAB654D.jpeg

Last edited:
And then they were four! We joined up with @fury fan and with @david hill , who had brought his amazing 1969 300 'vert. Here are the cars, parked safely away from other cars in the parking lot of The Bryant.

The restaurant was as good as hoped for, and the service was absolutely superb (and pleasant, too).

EC7E0715-7AAB-415D-8F84-2E28D535D401.jpeg

IMG_6516.jpg

Last edited:
I added a few photos in yesterday's posts, as I was uploading them quickly when making stops and so did not have much time for text and photos. I am back at my computer today, and so I can finally add a few more of the post-lunch part of the trip.

I had made one mistake in the planning -- I forgot about the time difference between Illinois (CT) and Indiana (ET)... Still, we had plenty of time and so David and I decided to take a slightly longer route to the Grissom Air Force base in order to drive through Logansport.

Here is a photo of David's 1969 and of my 1972 at the intersection of IN-25 and IN-16 (a few miles north of Logansport).

IMG_6526.JPG

IMG_6524.JPG

And here we are at the Grissom Air Museum. Yes, I took the photo just after 4PM EST, i.e., right after the museum had closed. Fuselages in front of fuselages.

IMG_6531.JPG

Thanks to the recon by @david hill a few days before the CATL, we avoided traffic issues on IN-31. Still, as it was getting late, we decided to skip the stop at the transmission plant. Instead, we took a photo of the engine plant :)

IMG_6537.jpg

The best things have an end. See you all at the 2023 CATL!

IMG_6540.JPG

Well my fury almost stranded me today so there might have been excitement if I had been along. Weird software bug in the ecu it seems

We arrived at Petersen Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep-Ram right on time. The very nice dealer was there, who came to talk with us. She was tickled that we had stopped by, even though we were unannounced (with older cars, one never knows what can happen, so I had decided to wing it). She had a sense of humor, too, and asked if we wanted to trade in :)

View attachment 558934

One of her customers had left a number of fifties-sixties Mopars on her lot. They came from the customer's late father's estate. The customer plans to restore the Dodge Royal, but she has not made plans for the others and the outlook seems grim -- all the more so that they were in a flood earlier this year (notice that they are parked in a depression on the property, and it flooded during a flash storm this summer). The interiors of the two Imps and of the Windsor were rather roached, though for the right member there may have some useful spare parts (the trim seemed to be all there, at least at a quick glance). @BLIMP

View attachment 558764

View attachment 558936

View attachment 558935

View attachment 558937

View attachment 558763

View attachment 558765
I'll take the wheel covers

Apparently I missed out on this
Unfortunately you did. Would have been great if you could have joined. You were tagged by @fury fan in August but must have not seen the alert?

Weather permitting, I’ll probably drive Buttercup in the Indianapolis area before or after TG. So perhaps then?

Unfortunately you did. Would have been great if you could have joined. You were tagged by @fury fan in August but must have not seen the alert?

Weather permitting, I’ll probably drive Buttercup in the Indianapolis area before or after TG. So perhaps then?
If invited I could expand our get together to 3C body owners. Weather permitting I would bring the 69 300 convertible.

If invited
I just laughed myself off the chair where I was sitting. How could you not be? “If”? The only way that I’ll be driving Buttercup in Indy in November is thanks to the R&R that you are doing now, how could you possibly not be part of it? :)

We'll see if I'm able to make it, been hella busy around the house and garden haven't had much time to drive the big car

Back