Cbody Bob's 1966 Chrysler 300 coupe

Here are the pics of the insides now it is cleaned out, some heavy surface rust, but I think we can work with it.

float and filler seal.jpg
Gas tantk internal2.jpg
Gas tantk internal3.jpg
gasoline.jpg
gasoline1.jpg

She don't look too bad! Save for the "float". ... which looks kind more like an anchor.

I saw a video on youtube of a guy using apple cider vinegar to clean a tank. He left sit so that each side could soak for a few days and then rotated it. I'm not sure if he change the vinegar out with each rotation or not.

Here is the beginning thread of Bobs 66 300, if you remember Bob bought this from Boomer recently and now that the 72 Coronet wagon is gone I am now starting work on this car. First order of the day was to remove the gas tank and inspect. The gas that came out was dark brown and full of rust scale, not looking good and I would say the likely cause of why the car sometimes runs rough.
Now imagine some of your arteries looking that way. Makes one pause a bit...

Before i could do any other work to Bob's car i had to deal with a wasp nest beside it. Damned thing already got me once. Imagine my surprise last night when i pulled the wood away and found this huge thing ten inches across. I burned that thing with a butane torch for ten mins last night and this morning looked, just as many wasps as before. Tonight I'm using a pint of gas....

wasp nest.jpg

Before i could do any other work to Bob's car i had to deal with a wasp nest beside it. Damned thing already got me once. Imagine my surprise last night when i pulled the wood away and found this huge thing ten inches across. I burned that thing with a butane torch for ten mins last night and this morning looked, just as many wasps as before. Tonight I'm using a pint of gas....

View attachment 134557
Should I put insurance on the car ?

View attachment 134557

Are you sure they are wasps? Looks like hornets to me. . . Much more dangerous.

While the tank is out how does the trunk floor & the extensions look. Anything need to be fixed in there ?

So I took some closeup pics using zoom, I wasn't getting anywhere near those damn things, here Rip, check em out, I'm told they are yellowjackets. I burned off the top layer this evening killing those that came out, then I poured some old engine oil into it. I ended up pouring 4 gallons in to drown them!

wasp nest1.jpg
wasp nest2.jpg

Yep those are Yellow Jackets. They typically nest in holes in the ground or rotten stumps. They may swarm for a few days trying to figure out what happened. Hit em with wasp/Hornet spray.

I set up the 66 gas tank and poured in a gallon of white vinegar to sit and stew tonight, will check it each day to see how it is progressing.

So I took some closeup pics using zoom, I wasn't getting anywhere near those damn things, here Rip, check em out, I'm told they are yellowjackets. I burned off the top layer this evening killing those that came out, then I poured some old engine oil into it. I ended up pouring 4 gallons in to drown them!

View attachment 134626 View attachment 134627
Did you light up the old engine oil? You know just to make sure they are dead can't be too sure they all drown:D

Back