Celestia and I Just Joined

Mort St. John

Reaction score
I am very glad to find this forum. I just hope that I will be able to navigate it successfully.

I own a 1978 Chrysler New Yorker, which I purchased in 2016. Overall, I am very happy with the car, although I have never gotten it to idle or start as smoothly as I would like. Celestia - also known as La Chryslera Gigante - is, however, a magnificent machine. She is Spinakker White with a white top and white interior.

Right now, my big struggle is with the driver's side power window. The motor runs but the window is immobile. I took off the door panel, but could see so little that I decided to put it back on until I could get more information about the process. Also, none of the windows are in quite the right position when raised. If anyone has any tips, please let me know. Also, none of the windows are in quite the right position when raised.

I probably should mention that I occasionally volunteer at the Antique Automobile Club of America Library and Research Center in Hershey, Pennsylvania. Anyone, club member or not, is welcome there, and it really is fabulous!

IMG_0011.JPG

IMG_0008 (1).JPG

Nice car. You need to rebuild the window motor. There's 3 nylon plugs in there that drive the actual gear. They fall apart and cause the symptoms you are experiencing.

I am very glad to find this forum. I just hope that I will be able to navigate it successfully.

I own a 1978 Chrysler New Yorker, which I purchased in 2016. Overall, I am very happy with the car, although I have never gotten it to idle or start as smoothly as I would like. Celestia - also known as La Chryslera Gigante - is, however, a magnificent machine. She is Spinakker White with a white top and white interior.

Right now, my big struggle is with the driver's side power window. The motor runs but the window is immobile. I took off the door panel, but could see so little that I decided to put it back on until I could get more information about the process. Also, none of the windows are in quite the right position when raised. If anyone has any tips, please let me know. Also, none of the windows are in quite the right position when raised.

I probably should mention that I occasionally volunteer at the Antique Automobile Club of America Library and Research Center in Hershey, Pennsylvania. Anyone, club member or not, is welcome there, and it really is fabulous!

View attachment 655856

View attachment 655857
Beautiful car and location for photos. Welcome.

Nice car. You need to rebuild the window motor. There's 3 nylon plugs in there that drive the actual gear. They fall apart and cause the symptoms you are experiencing.
Thank you for the compliment and the advice. Are replacement gears readily available, or do I need to go to a specialty supplier?

Thank you for the compliment and the advice. Are replacement gears readily available, or do I need to go to a specialty supplier?
I think you can get replacement gears, or the little inserts to repair your current set up.

I believe the biggest hurdle you have is that your regulator is riveted to the inner door structure and you can't access the motor easily. You'll have to drill the rivets out. Remove the regulator assembly to get at the motor. And be careful because when you pull the motor off there is alot of tension on the regulator. It'd be a good idea to clamp the scissor part of it tightly so you don't get hurt before unbolting the motor for service.

Back