Chads Yellow Polara thread, New dual exhaust, wheels on!Yee!

Fuselage Years

Did you enjoy the first post in this thread?

1. No, I skimmed through and didn’t finish it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, no problems here

88.2%
  3. Indifferent, could care less

11.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. LocuMob

LocuMob Fluid Technician with a hat FCBO Gold Member

My other point was this could have been a great starting point for someone getting into the hobby. You've done a good job of bringing the car to life, no question there.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. polara71

polara71 Old Man with a Hat

If it took you over 100 hours it will take the new owner who gives a damn 200 to undo all you incorrectly did. I presume you are a car salesman on a sleazy lot and do the same snot jobs on your auction cars ? If not you probably should be .... I'll give you 500 for it

3. The Captain

The Captain Active Member

Where is the suicide ball?

4. Chad

Chad Member

Now Polara71 remember to make sense.... usually when you give people shit, it makes total sense. Painting a timing and valve covers and unbolting a set of wheels is nothing at all. Quite literally a couple hours. Don’t get away from the smack talking based on common sense. I’m really surprised you’ve jumped to sleezy salesman and snot jobs. This is an open forum, I’m not phased but a lot of guys would get chased off with real, like REAL LIFE hurt feelings. I’m not going to do too much back and forth unless it’s all in good fun. Don’t want moderators jumping in, then thread is drowned with you and your disapproval.
    It could’ve been a great starting point for someone getting started! After 3 weeks they hadn’t bought the car, so I did. Sometime it’s just the way it goes.
    Polara71 acts like I donked it with a General Lee motif.
    What’s a suicide ball? Very curious

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. detmatt

detmatt Old Man with a Hat FCBO Gold Member

What’s wrong with the General Lee?

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. 73 T&C

73 T&C Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

Chad.... you worked like hell on it, spent your money, and did it your way....

I say:

Welcome to America! “Where a profit is no crime and a good profit should be celebrated.”

Good luck with your sale and don’t let the bloviating members among us to spoil your fun. We are a little bit too passionate sometimes and forget how we got that way.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chad

Chad Member

Absolutely nothing! Not sure a C body with orange paint, 01, and a confederate flag would fly with you guys though!

Thanks 73 T&C! FWIW if I thought the Polara would make a decent street and strip car I would keep it. I’d rather buy a ratty old Dart, Duster, or Demon and focus my attention on motor, suspension, traction, and ET’s than spend what little extra cash I have to make something an original type cruiser.
    BTW if anyone here is interested I really am not looking to sell the car high dollar. All done I’m about $3800 invested. I do want to make some money for my time, but will sell to anyone here at a very good price.

8. Tobias74

Tobias74 Well-Known Member FCBO Gold Member

I like those wheels they fit great in my opinion and for the money you can’t go wrong is a really cool car Chad

9. cantflip

cantflip Old Jagoff with a Hat FCBO Gold Member

Thanks Chad... I don't have time to go deep right now, but I agree that you haven't ruined her. A rebuild of the 2bbl and the Holley in the trunk would have been the biggest changes to your actions I would have recommended.

You are correct, that C Body will not make the street/strip car you want... and appears to be too nice to do that to her. I won't speculate price, yours is not a model I watch... but you might make a few bucks from an enthusiastic new owner and save this one... so for that, thank you.

I'm glad you realized this wasn't what you wanted before things got too radical. :drama:

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Chad

Chad Member

Thanks a lot for understanding. I do very much appreciate these cars, and it was actually this car that began a newly revived muscle car idea in my head. After I bought the car I started looking at speed parts and posi’s. Then being here on FCBO I figured out that these aren’t the cars to do so.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  11. Chad

Chad Member

Manifolds machined and gaskets in. I was surprised at how warped the manifolds were. I had heavy heavy grit on a large belt sander and it took quite a bit to get 1/7 and 2/8 flush with the inner ports. I did put a dab of high temp RTV on all 4 water jackets studs around gaskets and at the back of 7 and 8 where the ports seemed very narrow

• Like Like x 1
  12. Chad

Chad Member

Hello everyone. I’m up early because I need to detail my car and do a few other things before the registration for a local Mopar meet. I have a couple quick questions that I want direct feedback from owners on, rather than factory suggestions.

What is the best timing setting for the 360? When I first got the car running it seemed to like nearly 20 degrees at idle, but as I drove it more it started to stumble more. So the other day I did some adjustments and I’m right at 11 degrees at idle, and yes I blocked off the vacuum advance on distributor while setting the timing. Do you guys have a solid setup on timing that you have widdled down to perfection?
    Right now it runs good, I need to turn the idle up slightly as it seems to be around 550-570 against the converter. Lastly, initially the temp gauge worked perfectly, then intermittently, now rarely. Being the gas gauge has been INOP all along, I’m beginning to suspect the ballast resistor in the dash. I have no idea what this looks like or even remotely where it is. I had cluster slightly apart cause I was trying to fix lighting for cluster (didn’t figure out) but now it definitely needs to come out for gauges. Any insight on where or what this is within dash I would appreciate, as well as the ideal timing setting, and info on the dash lights would be awesome too. All the original wiring and fuses are extremely spotless and untampered with, clearly never any moisture. Thanks

13. detmatt

This is definitely not the car for a posi.
    I’m a big block guy so I won’t be able to help you on the timing issue except to say put a vacuum gauge on it and set the timing that way.
    Your dash lights are likely because our panel dimmer is shot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. polara71

polara71 Old Man with a Hat

How do I take that?

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  15. detmatt

I’m not saying it isn’t the car for a sure grip.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Chad

Chad Member

I wouldn’t put a posi in his car. No need for it. Have to be able to spin one tire to have the need to spin a 2nd :(

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. commando1

commando1 Old Man With a Hat on the Porch FCBO Gold Member

@Chad: I really can't get a handle on you to figure out who you are.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Samplingman

Samplingman Senior Member

3972CB9F-87FF-4E73-8236-F907CE6DB041.jpeg

19. commando1

commando1 Old Man With a Hat on the Porch FCBO Gold Member

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Samplingman

Samplingman Senior Member

Well played “Chad”. Nothing like 6 pages of bullshit with my Saturday morning coffee. The opening poll was a nice touch, good to get any potential “fish” engaged early on. Good luck selling a $2500 car for $8500. I’m sure you will be able to rope in an “enthusiast” at the show with the rattle can engine compartment touch up and the cheap-ass chebbie wheels. But this is ‘merica, and that’s how we keep the economy going, won’t begrudge you that.

• Like Like x 1