Cheapest Automatic Torqueflite Transmission fluid for my 57 Belvedere?

Rusty Muffler

Reaction score
I need to add a few quarts to mine and am confused what to buy. Dexron? Type F? Which is it for basic operation thats not synthetic? Is synthetic ok or will it cause leaks??

Thanks!

Last edited:
Dexron / Mercon Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission is suitable for older transmissions..
Why do you not want to use synthetic.....?

I've heard it both ways from users. In general, though, even the worst atf in present times is probably better than the old Typa A Suffix A fluid it was designed for. Dexron was what replaced the earlier Type A Suffix A atf in GM vehicles, plus Chrysler vehicles in 1968.

In that respect, any non-syn Dexron III equivalent. Read the back of the container carefully to see if it is for GM vehicles pre-Dexron VI. The Valvoline MaxLife DexronIII equivalent might be good as it has a bit of seal-sweller additive in it?

No real gains for Type F, in current times, to me. Harder to find, too.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Yep DEXRON, don't use synthetic in an old transmission, as in unknown when last rebuilt. Just asking for trouble. Too slippery and will leak.

I need to add a few quarts to mine and am confused what to buy. Dexron? Type F? Which is it for basic operation thats not synthetic? Is synthetic ok or will it cause leaks??

Thanks!
If cheap is what you want, go get some Fram type F. It should be fine in an old transmission.

If cheap is what you want, go get some Fram type F. It should be fine in an old transmission.
Thanks Rip, but after seeing a few years ago on youtube how poorly a Fram oil filter is made i tend to stay away from Fram at all costs. I would guess the Trans fluid is fine and is just branded with different names.

Regarding the ATF+4 FULL SYNTHETIC fluid.

I don't know what fluid Dodge put in my 93 318 Dakota with 3.91 rear gear, big trans and tow package when I bought it new. But I did change it to atf+4 full synthetic as soon (1998 I think) as it came out. I pumped the old stuff out at the cooler lines. And a lot of the old fluid did come out that way.
Since then, I've pumped a gallon out through the filler tube every 20K miles and refilled with a variety of brand "whatever" of atf+4 full synthetic fluids and never dropped the pan.

The truck has 300K miles on it now. About 80k of that has been towing 8K pounds at 60 mph. And at times with as much as 14k pounds (goose neck) at 50 mph for 500 miles at a stretch. Both with overdrive off. This is what I call severe service.
It never looks or smells burnt, it doesn't leak a drop and I can't tell any difference in shifting between new and now, none.

It appears that this trans clearly likes the atf+4 full synthetic fluid.
Towing in 3rd, the trans stays in lockup about half of the time.
Neither the engine nor trans have ever been over heated. It tows at 210 max with a 180 thermostat up long hills in 90-degree weather.
Full synthetic gear oil in the rear too, because it was burning the dino gear oil. Really smelly and black after not nearly long enough miles.

At this point I buy the least expensive full synthetic for everything on the vehicle that's correct for "any particular" vehicle before I buy any non-synthetic.

Last edited:
FWIW, I worked at an automatic trans test facility some years ago.
When we did a teardown after 1000 or 2000 hours, we could always tell the difference between one that ran Dex and one tested with synthetic.
The color of the residual oil was obvious, but so was the condition of the hard parts.
Clutches and reaction plates had less signs of heat.

I don't know if I would put synthetic in an old trans, but if I got a trans rebuilt I absolutely would.

Back