Check Rubber Fuel Lines

66furys

Reaction score
I added new rubber fuel lines when install a new Edelbrock about six months ago. I keep hose on hand, and had some NAPA fuel line from years back. So, used it. I just ordered a new adapter for the carb, so removed that fuel line. It had totally cracked around the flare on the plastic filter....was not leaking, but you can see cord or something in the severe cracks. Check your rubber lines on occasion. I cant believe this. I also removed very old fuel line on the metal line that exits the stub frame. Had to loosen the clamp and pull the line back to get at the clamps, but even this old stuff was intact.....more than i can say for my newer stuff. I had ordered some marine line that is larger and difficult to deal with.....but, used this today. I was trying to download a picture from the phone, but no go so far.

Agreed. This new stuff should be outlawed. I’ve had nothing but problems with it.

My long time NAPA counter man buddy suggested a while ago to always get fuel injection hose. He said this because it stands up to ethanol spiked gas better than regular hose.

I've never researched it too far, but have heard it from other folks too. It makes some sense, even if it just takes longer to break down from the ethanol.

recently saw this on a chevy pickup that i tried to get running at a friends shop...pulled the hose off the carb, cranked it, saw we had fuel...cut the hose back to a fresh piece, reinstalled it...it leaked...repeat 2x, remove fitting, etc...turns out the inside of the hose was severely cracked longitudinally and once i cut it back it leaked down the cracks...the outside of the hose looked very new so i never suspected it would be bad internally...Gates makes a barricade fuel hose (greensheild?) in both carb and injection pressure ratings that withstands ethanol...both OReilly and NAPA have it...so glad i had this issue otherwise i would have replumbed my car with the roll of normal crap i had sitting around

Last edited:
I bought Gates fuel hose. 1 years later I was backing out of the garage and the wife said "Your car is leaking".
Leaking at the filter to carb union. All others were cracking. I too have switched to fuel injection hose.

Got my pic downloaded, and ordered some Gates barricade.....thanks

fuel hose after 6 months.jpg

Maybe so....I normally tighten until I cannot turn the rubber. And, this line split over the tube flare section....which normally flexes.....this old stuff did not. Yes, old hose, but not happy....this is a first for me in about 60 years of work on the beasties. My first was pulling the engine on my first car at the age of 15.....and I have been after it ever since. Does not mean I do it right.....kinda like 60 years of trying to figure things out. Just wanted to raise awareness to check rubber along the way.....since, as we see, it ain't always as good as we think.

Does not mean I do it right.....kinda like 60 years of trying to figure things out.
I'm not too far behind that... Maybe 55 years... And I still screw stuff up.

I'm actually quoted in a book about screwing up. "Machinist Bedside Reader", one of the later volumes. I was a Tool & Diemaker for a lot of years. It was something about years of experience just means "screwing up as much as ever, just getting better at realizing it earlier and knowing how to fix it".

Guys, the best thing to do is to minimize use of any polymeric hoses, to wit: use steel tubing! I admit there's a minimally short bit from my Carter steel fuel line to the 'Brock, and a couple short bits for the fuel filter, but that's IT on Gertrude. I ran about 6 ft of Gates 5/16" fuel line on old Mathilda for the first 3 yrs we drover her, then put some steel on there. The Gates hose held up well enough for my liking, but I just don't care for rubber fuel line when I can run steel.

While I like to see how the fuel filter looks, I opted for steel filters when I relocated it to the canonical spot down near the fuel pump. I don't like engine fires, and have had a couple so I figure I've had enough. 1 was electrical, the other fuel related, and both destructive enough for my lifetime, even though I was blessed enough to drive home both times. Mind you, both occurred within a city block OF home.....

I'm not too far behind that... Maybe 55 years... And I still screw stuff up.

I'm actually quoted in a book about screwing up. "Machinist Bedside Reader", one of the later volumes. I was a Tool & Diemaker for a lot of years. It was something about years of experience just means "screwing up as much as ever, just getting better at realizing it earlier and knowing how to fix it".
WISE WORDS!

Agree. This failed section was from my carb down to the filter, about 8 inches. Edelbrock makes a steel line from the carb, but it runs too low on the manifold for me, and the carb fitting is a straight 5/8 thread....not easy to adapt. So, rubber from carb to filter, rubber from engine to new CuNi line thru the stub frame, a short section to the OEM steel line along the frame, and of course a small bit at the tank. I do plan to use a compression fitting from my new stub frame line to a new CuNi line along the frame to tank. But, I want to do this on a lift where I can wangle and wrestle the long line into place. Good thoughts, thanks.

Agree. This failed section was from my carb down to the filter, about 8 inches. Edelbrock makes a steel line from the carb, but it runs too low on the manifold for me, and the carb fitting is a straight 5/8 thread....not easy to adapt. So, rubber from carb to filter, rubber from engine to new CuNi line thru the stub frame, a short section to the OEM steel line along the frame, and of course a small bit at the tank. I do plan to use a compression fitting from my new stub frame line to a new CuNi line along the frame to tank. But, I want to do this on a lift where I can wangle and wrestle the long line into place. Good thoughts, thanks.

Look around for the old Carter AVS line! That will take you to within an inch of your 'Brock's fuel connector. You might even be able to get some inverted flare fittings which will finish the run all in metal. I plan to do this when convenient.

I use only FI fuel lines.
The only problem with it is when you ask for x feet of 3/8ths, you're asked for make, model, year.

I ordered a few feet of both 5/16 and 3/8 gates barricade and the smaller just arrived. I like the small size, not larger than std as is the marine hose I got before. Will now go to this gates hose in future.

Been using Aeroquip hose on everything since my first new Harley where I noticed after one season of riding the cheap *** factory hose had not kept it's inner radius with the factory routing leading to a restriction.

They make all kinds of hose for all applications.

Back