Check Rubber Fuel Lines

I thought about this... and the way the clerk could have handled it was to say "Yea, I'd have to charge 50 cents a foot for under 6 feet, so I charged you by the yard. So we saved you a little money by doing it thins way".

But could you expect the clerk that probably smoked his lunch to think that quick?

I thought about this... and the way the clerk could have handled it was to say "Yea, I'd have to charge 50 cents a foot for under 6 feet, so I charged you by the yard. So we saved you a little money by doing it thins way".

But could you expect the clerk that probably smoked his lunch to think that quick?

Seeing as I do the Kwollitee uv Mawdurn Ejjyookayshun. I suspect the clerk had nothing for lunch that millions of other ones in the same vocation don't have.... Goes with the parts.

Back in 2020 when I put Project Turd back on the road, I was concerned about ethanol blended gasoline. With a background/education in auto mechanics as well as chemistry & physics, I knew rubber and ethanol don't play well with each other. So I made it a point to replace every last single inch of fuel line with ethanol friendly hose. Including the fuel tank lines AND the vapor/purge hoses. I don't want leaks.

Now as a point of love and respect for my chariot, I only buy ethanol FREE gasoline, costing almost a whole dollar than the corn gas on every street corner gas station. So why did I buy corn gas fuel lines? In the event that I was stranded or had no other option but to buy corn gas. And to safeguard myself in the event the pure gas I did buy was tainted. (I've met some really stupid people these last few years) You never know if an idiot didn't put corn gas into the pure gas tank. "Duh, gas is gas, right?" Or greedy, unscrupulous gas station owners thinking they're gonna cash in on us.

Fast forward to a week ago. I noticed my gas gauge was dropping nearly a quarter tank a day overnight. But I have a locked gas cap. After the 3rd day I peeked under the car. Lol and behold, it's dripping slowly from the tank. I go to tighten the line up, the moment I touch it, it begins to leak FASTER. Fortunately I still had a couple feet of extra fuel line left over and was able to replace it.

Not three years old and it looks dry rotted. Inside and out. Bend it 45 degrees and it cracks. WTF? Whatever happened to quality???

Now I'm seriously contemplating replacing everything AGAIN with Aeroquip fuel hose. Dammit Jim! Grrr.

Dave raises more interesting points. In a small station years ago, the owner told me that they add the ethanol just before delivery.....that crap did not live in the gasoline in the major fuel dumps. Not sure really how it works, BUT, you raise an interesting question. Who says what we are getting has no alcohol. I am going to look into a test kit, just for fun. I got some of the Barricade.....but again, there is no guarantee over time.....I probably wont live long enough to check on this phenom.

Dave raises more interesting points. In a small station years ago, the owner told me that they add the ethanol just before delivery.....that crap did not live in the gasoline in the major fuel dumps. Not sure really how it works, BUT, you raise an interesting question. Who says what we are getting has no alcohol. I am going to look into a test kit, just for fun. I got some of the Barricade.....but again, there is no guarantee over time.....I probably wont live long enough to check on this phenom.
Real easy to check and you don't need a test kit.

Go to YouTube and search for "testing ethanol content in gasoline" or something similar.

Basically, it involves taking a sample and adding water to it. You can even just use a soda or water bottle. Shake it up and let it settle. The ethanol absorbs the water and separates so you'll see the ethanol and water mix. I've done it and the results came in exactly where I figured it would with the mix of ethanol laced gas (bought on a trip) and the ethanol free gas I buy at the local gas station.

You can take it one step further and extract the ethanol from the gas using the same method. That probably reduces the octane rating though.

Back