Cleaning rear flow through vent

swisherred

Reaction score
Anyone know how to clean the flow through vent in a 67 newport custom? I can hear the vent crunching on leaves when it opens and closes...which means it needs to be cleaned out.

Probably "some disassembly required"? Might start by removing the drain hoses and using a shop vacuum in that location? Good that your valve still works!

CBODY67

I had to rebuild my dash switch but otherwise it all works properly....I havent found anything that shows how to take it apart for cleaning.

Anyone know how to clean the flow through vent in a 67 newport custom? I can hear the vent crunching on leaves when it opens and closes...which means it needs to be cleaned out.

Here's what I did:

Disconnect the drain hoses from the underside, connect a shop vac to the fittings on the underside. (plug one side if you don't have a T-fitting for the vac)

Then use compressed air to flush out the loose junk and aim it towards the drain. A bunch of different length wooden probes worked well for digging around through the vent slots w/minimal scratching of anything.

I taped off the vent slots wherever I was probing.

It's either that or start taking the interior apart to gain better access.

Hope the input helps.

John

I dont mind taking the interior apart....I kinda want to make sure its not rusting out too. I know I have a water leak into the trunk somewhere around it...havent been able to track it down yet. I dont know if there are gaskets or if its glued to the car or what...

Took 5 mins to remove the rear package tray and gain access to the vent. 2 screws and 2 clips. Tons of debris in there. To clean past the vent I have to disconnect the actuator rod and unscrew the pivots from the inside of the car, then remove the vent for cleaning. Going to replace the trashed felt silencer while I'm at it.

Before...

20190217_102817.jpg

20190217_102826.jpg

Back