Cleaning steering wheel horn buttons

67 ragtop

Reaction score
I have a 1967 Sport Fury convertible that has a 3 spoke wheel. each spoke has a horn button and 1 of the buttons doesn't work at all and the other 2 are intermittent. They did not work either until I kept pushing them. now they only work in certain spots. If I ground the horn ring in the center of the wheel the horn works great.
How do I remove the buttons off of the wheel so I can clean the electrical contacts beneath the buttons? am currently trying to get electrical contact cleaner to go into the scontact area with little success.

MIght be best to disassemble the steering wheel from the column so it can be taken apart? I suspect the Chrysler parts book has exploded views of the steering wheel and its parts.

Might have a compromised contact on the back of the turn signal cancelling cam or somewhere in the turn signal swith's wiring?

Keep us posted on your progress, please,
CBODY67

I took mine apart a few years ago and didn't find any contacts to clean. Instead, there were small silicon nubs under each button that appeared to be impregnated with metal powder. I guess squeezing them creates an electrical path? 1967 might be different.....

As far as I know in 67 there was only one switch, pushing the spoke just rocks the switch is different directions to make contact, no different than just pushing on the hub. The switch normally goes between the wheel and the cover, not shown here (unless it is part of the cover?, maybe there are 3 switches, parts book doesn't reflect that)
19a1048.jpg

This is the B-Body setup showing the switch.
19a1021.jpg

Alan

As far as I know in 67 there was only one switch, pushing the spoke just rocks the switch is different directions to make contact, no different than just pushing on the hub. The switch normally goes between the wheel and the cover, not shown here (unless it is part of the cover?, maybe there are 3 switches, parts book doesn't reflect that)
View attachment 489743

This is the B-Body setup showing the switch.
View attachment 489742

Alan

I took a quick look at it today on my way back to my house. (it is in a garage I have on another piece of property) the two buttons that work have 0 ohms of resistance from the horn relay to ground when pressed (after I cleaned the contacts on the ring). The one that doesn't has infinite. There is a wire coming off of each pad going to the horn ring. The horn ring has zero resistance to the relay. so Now I just have to get under the cover on the one that is not working. The wire may be broke or there the ground side of the pad is not making contact. I need to remove the wheel to get any farther. . This started because I needed a safety check but it wouldn't pass. It passes now because the horn works and I know which pad works.

Back