Considering The Purchase of a Formal

streetmachine

Reaction score
Just wondering, I am considering the purchase of a Formal. My thoughts are a 74-78 New Yorker or Newport in the 4 door variety. I would prefer the New Yorker over the Newport because of the seats and most New Yorkers already have the 440 and a tilt wheel. But, my concern with the New Yorker is some of the electrical stuff like the power window motors and the power seats. Although, I like the idea of crank up windows I like the looks of the New Yorker slightly over the Newport as well. The other thing I'm trying to find out is if this platform has a normal amp gauge or a "shunt" style amp gauge? Just wondering what are the common issues with these cars and what are the fixes for these issues? I am considering driving this to work a couple of days a week and using it as a weekend car on occasion as well. Thank you in advance.

Before suggesting anything, we need to know your absolute upper price limit.
It's just like any car, bite the whole bullet up front or be bled slowly over time.
Which pain suits you best?
Turnkey or fix as you go?
Posted via Topify on Android

Last edited:
Formals are great cars, and for the most part stone axe reliable.

Issues:
1) Lean Burn- 74/ 76 most won't have it. Introduced in 1976 on 400s. It either worked or it didn't- most cars are converted by now, so this shouldn't be a problem...easily swapped if it needs it.
2) 1978 Intermittent wiper clutch- originally made of plastic. they are now old, brittle and breaking. We on the this list have figures out a metal fix for this that will last forever.
3) Auto Temp II- Very finicky, heavily reliant on vacuum and probably won't be functional. Big $$$ if you want to get it working.
4) 1974/75 Imperial 4 wheel disc brakes...hard to find parts for the rear discs now.
5) Like any C body lower body rust- especially around/ behind the rear wheel well.

I've never had problems with Pwindows other than puck failure in the gear head...we have a fix for that too.
Formals don't have bulkhead connectors, so any problems associated with that are not present. I never had issues with the alternator guage on a Formal.

By the way,
WARNING: Shameless self serving off topic post ahead (without apologies):
I want to sell my NYB. Now. I just can't bring myself to taking its true WIW right now.

Before suggesting anything, we need to know your absolute upper price limit.
It's just like any car, bite the whole bullet up front or be bled slowly over time.
Which pain suits you best?
Turnkey or fix as you go?

I was thinking $3500 to $4000 should buy a nice car but, I have seen prices all over the place.

Formals are great cars, and for the most part stone axe reliable.

Issues:
1) Lean Burn- 74/ 76 most won't have it. Introduced in 1976 on 400s. It either worked or it didn't- most cars are converted by now, so this shouldn't be a problem...easily swapped if it needs it.
2) 1978 Intermittent wiper clutch- originally made of plastic. they are now old, brittle and breaking. We on the this list have figures out a metal fix for this that will last forever.
3) Auto Temp II- Very finicky, heavily reliant on vacuum and probably won't be functional. Big $$$ if you want to get it working.
4) 1974/75 Imperial 4 wheel disc brakes...hard to find parts for the rear discs now.
5) Like any C body lower body rust- especially around/ behind the rear wheel well.

I've never had problems with Pwindows other than puck failure in the gear head...we have a fix for that too.
Formals don't have bulkhead connectors, so any problems associated with that are not present. I never had issues with the alternator guage on a Formal.

1) I would get rid of the Lean Burn anyways. Heard bad stories about the system. Great idea in theory but, bad execution of the idea.

2) Sounds like the same problem that B-Bodies from 78 had.

3) Auto Temp II, was this system standard? As long as the heat and defrost works I would be happy but, I'm going to assume all New Yorkers got A/C across the board even if it was the manual version?

4) I already figured that on those Imperials. A lot of parts can be hard to find and that's why I'm shying away from them even though I like the 72-73 models with the grille design.

5)So, typical Mopar rust. I know the vinyl top could be an issue. How about around the rear window and trunk floors on these cars?

On the windows how often does the puck fail in the gear head? On the bulkhead connectors that's great to hear. I know Dodge trucks of this vintage still had them and had burned out gauges. Anyways, anything else that should be added? I was going to build kind of hot rod out of one of these but, I have decided to make it cruiser now. My mods would be dual exhaust, updated radio from a late 90s Chrysler product, and some nice gas shocks at some point. That's about it.

By the way,
WARNING: Shameless self serving off topic post ahead (without apologies):
I want to sell my NYB. Now. I just can't bring myself to taking its true WIW right now.

Bomb dropped .. what ???
Want.
Ain't gonna happen.
I'm not going to take it up the kiester anymore.
But that's where I'm at today.

I just finished a plate of spareribs and Cajun baked beans. Now I'm kicking back with my Kittie in my lap. I'll keep it....

Calm down Big Guy.
I can't sell it.

If you do.....

I get first dibs on those roof rail seals......LOL!

I know you won't part with the NYB even if the price was right.

Any update the the repop mission?

Back