Considering The Purchase of a Formal

I have a 1978 NYB and a Newport. I love Formal's.

If I was you...

1. Take your time buying a Formal.

2. A great low mileage, rust free, turn key Formal with cost you $5-6k. Buy the best one you because you'll end up spending that anyways if you get a driver quality Formal. There are plenty of good ones out there.

3. Roof rail seals (the seals that the door glass seal against) are another problem with Formal's. You will not find any NOS seals anywhere on this planet...no where! And no one is re-popping them.

4. Best rust free cars are from out west.

I have a 1978 NYB and a Newport. I love Formal's.

If I was you...

1. Take your time buying a Formal.

2. A great low mileage, rust free, turn key Formal with cost you $5-6k. Buy the best one you because you'll end up spending that anyways if you get a driver quality Formal. There are plenty of good ones out there.

3. Roof rail seals (the seals that the door glass seal against) are another problem with Formal's. You will not find any NOS seals anywhere on this planet...no where! And no one is re-popping them.

4. Best rust free cars are from out west.

Thank you for the information. I will do just that as I have planned on my truck not selling until next year anyways. It took me over 4 months to find my current Dakota Convertible looking coast to coast but, things haven't panned out with the truck and I need something that has more than a two seat capacity. In some ways way I hate selling it but, I've put a lot of money into it and it is better than a lot of the ones I looked at. I did find a nice formal for $4k that is nice from what I can see not too far. I'm in no hurry at this point. Just hoping next year sometime depending on how things are with everything.

Why? She farts....

Posted via Topify on Android

I know that experience all too well. I have two cats that are both FIV positive and that is something that affects their digestive system as well. I can guarantee you it doesn't smell pretty.

Thank you for the information. I will do just that as I have planned on my truck not selling until next year anyways. It took me over 4 months to find my current Dakota Convertible looking coast to coast but, things haven't panned out with the truck and I need something that has more than a two seat capacity. In some ways way I hate selling it but, I've put a lot of money into it and it is better than a lot of the ones I looked at. I did find a nice formal for $4k that is nice from what I can see not too far. I'm in no hurry at this point. Just hoping next year sometime depending on how things are with everything.

Good luck! Many nice ones are posted on FCBO too.

1) I would get rid of the Lean Burn anyways. Heard bad stories about the system. Great idea in theory but, bad execution of the idea.

2) Sounds like the same problem that B-Bodies from 78 had.

3) Auto Temp II, was this system standard? As long as the heat and defrost works I would be happy but, I'm going to assume all New Yorkers got A/C across the board even if it was the manual version?

4) I already figured that on those Imperials. A lot of parts can be hard to find and that's why I'm shying away from them even though I like the 72-73 models with the grille design.

5)So, typical Mopar rust. I know the vinyl top could be an issue. How about around the rear window and trunk floors on these cars?

On the windows how often does the puck fail in the gear head? On the bulkhead connectors that's great to hear. I know Dodge trucks of this vintage still had them and had burned out gauges. Anyways, anything else that should be added? I was going to build kind of hot rod out of one of these but, I have decided to make it cruiser now. My mods would be dual exhaust, updated radio from a late 90s Chrysler product, and some nice gas shocks at some point. That's about it.

Autotemp II was standard on Imperial- optional elsewhere...but very common on Formal Cryslers...less so in Dodge/ Plymouth.

Rust around back window/ trunk pan...possible- but not as bad as Fuseys.

Thank you everyone who has replied. I will see how things play out and see what happens. Hopefully, next Spring I can make something happen. Have a good day everyone and let me know if you have anything else to add to this thread.

Good luck! Many nice ones are posted on FCBO too.

Yes absolutely, it will take time and sometimes I am don't have much patience but, we'll see how things play out especially in this crazy world.

Autotemp II was standard on Imperial- optional elsewhere...but very common on Formal Cryslers...less so in Dodge/ Plymouth.

Rust around back window/ trunk pan...possible- but not as bad as Fuseys.

Quick question, if there is any issue with it will the heater/vents still work. It would be nice if this A/C worked but, not a big deal unless it is a black car lol.

The ATC II heating and cooling work as one system. Any part that goes bad will affect both. It usually is just Not the A/C is not working and everything else does.
Many people buy one where it is said "A/C not working" and the buyer ends up putting a Home Depot water valve under the hood where you get heat full blast coming out of every vent except the one you want or closed off completely.

The ATC II heating and cooling work as one system. Any part that goes bad will affect both. It usually is just Not the A/C is not working and everything else does.
Many people buy one where it is said "A/C not working" and the buyer ends up putting a Home Depot water valve under the hood where you get heat full blast coming out of every vent except the one you want or closed off completely.

Thank you for that tidbit of information. I will keep that in the back part of my head for future reference. As I was researching I came across your thread about the ATC II and remember how you stated how much you "loved" the ATC II lol.

I wouldn't mind trading, but the cash difference is a bit much for me.

Hey, it's no problem. Winter is around the corner anyways so it will be hibernating soon. I wouldn't even consider selling the truck but, I can't find a manual locking tailgate handle for this truck so that's a downside for me and I was promised a decent bonus at my job for the amount of time I have there but, that changed so I'm just trying to fix those two issues hence the sale of this truck and the consideration of downgrading/upgrading but, not in a hurry.

Cool, I'll have to keep that Dakota in mind for Spring. That might work out better, anyway.

On a side note, the Shelby Dakota came out in 1989, which was the first V8 Dakota built. Before I got orders for Germany in early 1989, I was trying to work a special order for a Shelby Dakota convertible truck; of course, none were ever built. I had contacted the local dealership several times and was in the process of actually ordering one. Of course, this would've meant taking that Shelby Dakota pickup and sending it out to get it converted, exactly like the production ragtop trucks were. That would've indeed been one-of-one, and probably the most expensive Dakota pickup of the day.

Cool, I'll have to keep that Dakota in mind for Spring. That might work out better, anyway.

On a side note, the Shelby Dakota came out in 1989, which was the first V8 Dakota built. Before I got orders for Germany in early 1989, I was trying to work a special order for a Shelby Dakota convertible truck; of course, none were ever built. I had contacted the local dealership several times and was in the process of actually ordering one. Of course, this would've meant taking that Shelby Dakota pickup and sending it out to get it converted, exactly like the production ragtop trucks were. That would've indeed been one-of-one, and probably the most expensive Dakota pickup of the day.

It's not too hard to make a Shelby clone of these trucks just finding the parts and money is the hardest part. Namely the front air dam and wheels with the center caps and steering wheel. I have given thought about hot rodding this truck believe me but, the V6 runs good in this truck and has good oil pressure plus I have blown my budget on this truck lol. I did give thought to buying a 5.2 Magnum and running the V6 TBI setup. My only fault maybe the distributor but, you can run the Mopar Electronic setup separate from the computer. I was almost tempted to buy one of these with a 340 and ax-15 transmission but, it was a lot rougher than this truck was.

Anyways, sorry to throw the thread off topic but, one last tidbit here but, in 1991 Chrysler built eight of these trucks with the new front end. Only three I think have been accounted for. There was one for sale this year that was a factory 318 truck and sold for 17k?

10417595_511145665897_6640465712692616661_n.jpg

Found a picture of it.

10417595_511145665897_6640465712692616661_n.jpg

Back