Console Mounted Performance Vacuum Indicator

larry4261

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how to bench test this unit to make sure the light works.
Thanks
3r8mUJ3QHaJ4?w=115&h=180&c=7&r=0&o=5&dpr=1.7&pid=1.jpg

Orange wire is for the light. Connect that to the positive terminal of a 12v battery, and connect the other wire to the negative terminal if there is no second wire, connect the case to the negative terminal of the battery. If the bulb is good and the connections are not corroded in the bulb's socket, the bulb should light.

Testing the vacuum gauge involves drawing a vacuum through the bigger black rubber tube. Use a small vacuum pump. If it's in good shape the needle should rise.

Orange wire is for the light. Connect that to the positive terminal of a 12v battery, and connect the other wire to the negative terminal if there is no second wire, connect the case to the negative terminal of the battery. If the bulb is good and the connections are not corroded in the bulb's socket, the bulb should light.

Testing the vacuum gauge involves drawing a vacuum through the bigger black rubber tube. Use a small vacuum pump. If it's in good shape the needle should rise.
Thanks for the instruction. One other quick question if you have a moment. Can you somehow bench test a 4 wire Console Tach, which has the internal sending unit, to see if it is a functioning piece. I know how to test the 3 wire tachs with the external sending unit by using a D Cell battery.
ogii4957-jpg.1715486590

Further to my last post - While I am not 100 % sure, I think the black wire may well be a ground wire for the light and the tach, since the console is not really grounded to the car's body...
That leave one wire of the 4 - perhaps it is a key on 12V to the tachometer? Again, I don't know. The Factory Service Manual will have a wiring harness for console tach - so you could look it up.

If you don't have the service manual for your car, you can download them for free from here: Service Manuals – MyMopar

Depending on how much effort you want to get into, I think you could chuck a points-type dizzy in a drill and wire that ground wire to the tach?
Or does the tach look for interruption in the + wire to the coil?
Regardless, some mocking of an ignition system is possible.

At some point, though, it's just easier to wire it up underhood with some jumper wires onto an operational engine.

Depending on how much effort you want to get into, I think you could chuck a points-type dizzy in a drill and wire that ground wire to the tach?
Or does the tach look for interruption in the + wire to the coil?
Regardless, some mocking of an ignition system is possible.

At some point, though, it's just easier to wire it up underhood with some jumper wires onto an operational engine.
I agree with hooking it up on a running car. I'm going to go that route.
Thanks

Back