Container Find After 35 Years V-Code Vert Cuda

Reminds me of one of my best "garage" finds. A 1970 V code, 4speed Cuda' with 19K original miles. I was steered to it by, of all people, my mother. It belonged to a nurse at a clinic she visited. I won't go into how the subject of the car came up between mom and that nurse, but she mentioned she had her mothers car in her garage where it had been parked for a long time. She was moving and wanted to sell the car. I was skeptical but made the contact and found this.

70 cuda 4.jpg
70 cuda 3.jpg
70 cuda 2.jpg
70 cuda.jpg

Reminds me of one of my best "garage" finds. A 1970 V code, 4speed Cuda' with 19K original miles. I was steered to it by, of all people, my mother. It belonged to a nurse at a clinic she visited. I won't go into how the subject of the car came up between mom and that nurse, but she mentioned she had her mothers car in her garage where it had been parked for a long time. She was moving and wanted to sell the car. I was skeptical but made the contact and found this.

View attachment 361288 View attachment 361289 View attachment 361290 View attachment 361291

That just plum crazy!! (actually in violet)

View attachment 361288 View attachment 361289 View attachment 361290 View attachment 361291

AND that's where you stopped with the story? WTF!

Smaller, unit-body convertibles were probably all "flexible flyers" back then. The Camaro convertibles had special "dampers" in the corners of the car body. There to make it ride better, or something like that. The 2nd Gen Camaros were "flex bodies" with no convertibles. A friend had a Challenger TA that was a much more solid car on rough roads, by comparison.

One time, I emailed Mecum about some claim in a car listing (a Chrysler product). Their reply was that they only repeat what the seller tells them. No fact checking, no questions, it appears. Gotta be more to the story, I suspect.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Those E body convertibles were dubbed as "flexible flyers" by the techs working at the Chrysler Engineering center back in the day when they were new. One of my friends back then owned a convertible that was the same color as this one at Mecum, but had a 340 in it. His was fully optioned too, even had power windows. One day while driving in Michigan one afternoon, we went over a set of rail road tracks that were on a raised portion of ground that the highway had to ramp up to cross over, and when he crossed the tracks not going particularly slow, the rear passenger side power window mechanism including the window flew out of the car as we crossed the ramp. He was pissed and sold the car the next week.

He worked in the steering and suspension department at the time and relaced the vert with a 340 AAR Cuda instead (a hardtop only model). I actually loved that car because it handled really well and had much better weight distribution than having a big block up front like the Cuda I currently have. His looked just like this one:

View attachment 361250
My 18 year old self bought an AAR - lime green 340 4spd w 391’s. It was super fast but it sure as heck was a flexible flyer.

Because it was a rust bucket from Maryland. Loved it but every time I parked it it leaned in a different direction. I miss it but I don’t miss it Lol!!!

No I miss it...

AND that's where you stopped with the story? WTF!

Sorry...... Just making a comparison to the OP.
.. Now, for the REST of the story...:D. the date stamp is correct. it was In 95 while I was transitioning from Michigan to NC. I returned to trailer my A12 Road Runner to NC and mom brought that up to her nurse friend who then told mom about her Cuda'. The nurses father had ordered and bought a new Superbird. While at the dealership to take delivery a transport showed up with this purple Cuda' on it and her mom fell in love with it and they bought it also. (Now that's a Mopar family, a new Superbird and a new 6bbl cuda' on the same day).
Mom had headers installed, the rear gear changed and some other minor mods and drag raced it a couple of times. All the original parts removed were in the trunk.
Fast forward to 95. Parents were gone, Superbird was gone but the Cuda' was just sitting where it was parked years ago. The house was being sold and the Cuda' needed a new home. It was a "in the right place at the right time" opportunity. The car had not been advertised for sale. Price was $15K firm.
I was car rich, (69 GTX, A12 Road Runner and a 70 V code Road Runner project, plus my trusty 63 Dodge W100 Town Wagon). And cash poor. I was in process of moving and setting up a new business in NC.
I thought hard about selling my A12 Runner. Then mentioned my find to a friend who I knew would be interested in the Cuda'. He sold his Panther Pink 70 Challenger T/A almost right away and bought the Cuda'. Took it home and parked it in his shed where it sat for 6/7 years, then sold it for $52K.
I've not seen or heard of the car since.

I guess he didn't read my Challenger R/T post, he would have known better.:rolleyes:

Sorry...... Just making a comparison to the OP.
.. Now, for the REST of the story...:D. the date stamp is correct. it was In 95 while I was transitioning from Michigan to NC. I returned to trailer my A12 Road Runner to NC and mom brought that up to her nurse friend who then told mom about her Cuda'. The nurses father had ordered and bought a new Superbird. While at the dealership to take delivery a transport showed up with this purple Cuda' on it and her mom fell in love with it and they bought it also. (Now that's a Mopar family, a new Superbird and a new 6bbl cuda' on the same day).
Mom had headers installed, the rear gear changed and some other minor mods and drag raced it a couple of times. All the original parts removed were in the trunk.
Fast forward to 95. Parents were gone, Superbird was gone but the Cuda' was just sitting where it was parked years ago. The house was being sold and the Cuda' needed a new home. It was a "in the right place at the right time" opportunity. The car had not been advertised for sale. Price was $15K firm.
I was car rich, (69 GTX, A12 Road Runner and a 70 V code Road Runner project, plus my trusty 63 Dodge W100 Town Wagon). And cash poor. I was in process of moving and setting up a new business in NC.
I thought hard about selling my A12 Runner. Then mentioned my find to a friend who I knew would be interested in the Cuda'. He sold his Panther Pink 70 Challenger T/A almost right away and bought the Cuda'. Took it home and parked it in his shed where it sat for 6/7 years, then sold it for $52K.
I've not seen or heard of the car since.

Maybe we walked past it a time or two at Carlisle.

Thanks for sharing!

:thumbsup:

Original overspray on cowl screens and rubber seal?
Original 50 year old paint on motor looks new but the motor compartment is in pretty crappy condition.
There sure are a lot of these kinda cars surfacing from strange places.
I don't believe most of them anymore.

image.png

image.png

Fenders look to have been changed.
Fender tag?
Make up a story change an old car everyone wants sell it at auction for big bags of cash.

I don’t know, looks legit to me. I wish my Challenger would give up its story instead of all of the interesting tidbits leftover from its past.

Back