Convertible boots 1969 Fury - correct clips

system11

Reaction score
Hi, a friend in the states ordered a convertible boot for me from legendary, it's arrived with plastic clips sewn into the edge but my car has a piece of trim with about 30 metal snaps along it. Is the boot the wrong one or has someone put the wrong fixings on my car? I think it kind of looks too short too although I don't have access to measure it against the car right now, possible they've mixed up 1968 and 1969?

1969 did not use snaps. They used the clips which hook over the trim.

upload_2019-1-9_12-8-23.jpeg

There should not be snaps on your trim somebody drilled holes and installed them . The clips snap on to the stainless steel trim and give the boot a nice flat , tight , clean look . Here is a picture of my 69 sport fury boot with the plastic clips
FCE3D05D-7962-4A81-91F1-528F058AD8C0.jpeg

My boot is from legendary. It is a very snug fit. It has to be stretched on while clipping it to the trim. It’s best to do it when it’s hot out, it’s much easier. The proper way is to start clipping the clips on the trim from the middle of the back ( center of the trunk ) and work your way to the sides evenly from the center 6 or 7 clips at a time. If you clip one entire side before the other side it will pull the boot over to that side and it will make it difficult to clip in the other side.

Strange thing is I saw another 69 Fury III in the UK when buying mine, and it has the exact same metal snap bar. Mine was a recent import and the other had been here for decades and looked like nobody had ever spent a dime on it (pictured).

I emailed legendary for advice, seems like I'm going to end up sending this back though. Interesting note their pictures for 1969 and 1970 boots show the 1970 as being much bigger but I thought the 69/70 was the same thing?

furystuds.jpg

Last edited:
1969 and 1970 Fury are exactly the same size. After paying for shipping is it worth sending it back ? You do have options: Sell the boot in your area , Remove the snaps from the stainless trim before they start to rust and look for new/used trim, install snaps on your new boot and use both snaps and clips. I would recommend keeping the boot and find the used trim. 1969 /70 fury/Monaco boot trim is identical.

Last edited:
Maybe the pictures of the 70 boot you saw was for a 70 Chrysler convertible. They are different from the fury boot , they would be bigger.

If it’s going to be costly to return it, why not take the boot and car to an upholstery shop, have them remove the clips and install snaps when the car is right there so they have the correct measurements?

The snaps on the car seem to be stainless steel - on mine every one is as shiny as if it was fitted yesterday, removing them won't help because there's no lip for these plastic clips to latch into. I was thinking about just getting some snaps and modifying the boot myself (paying anyone to do anything in the UK is incredibly expensive) - the problem is that while the material is folded over and essentially double layer around the outer edge, there are holes cut for all the plastic clips - and the clips from a glance are probably going to line up with all the snaps meaning I'd have to 'rivet' the snap all the way through to the outside with only a single layer of material around it.

I guess I'll have to take it along to the car and see if the size is correct. Just one of those things with a near 50 year old car I guess and having to import parts hoping that it's factory enough to fit.

Maybe Legendary will have seen this problem before, I sent them a photo of the car to ask for advice.

Well I’m starting to agree with Love Shack. Install snaps on the boot and enjoy your car. That’s what it’s all about.

You know what - the trim IS shaped so the clips would work. I remembered I'd taken some close up shots of the paint in that area as it looks like there's been some bondo on one side in the usual place. Wherever I'm finding any I'm making a note of it so I can get it all cut out & done properly in one go, probably next year.

boot_trim.jpg

There you go , the plastic clips that are on your new boot will work. You don’t have to remove them.

i ordered 1 from legendary for a 70 Fury and it has been a huge waste of time and money.
they make them to order which is fine, but the 1st one they sent was wrong, the 2nd 1 was closer but still cut too short.
i sent them pics of the old boot compared to what they sent.
after paying 3 shipping costs we gave up. (this added up because im in canada).
i felt they should have covered the shipping since they sent defective mechandise.
not very sympathetic customer service and poor attitude.
i was told "we have the right patterns". clearly not.
the blue boot is the original.....

mark in victoria, bc canada

View attachment 228977

View attachment 228978

View attachment 228979

View attachment 228980

Well I tried it on today - it's a VERY tight fit and is the right part, but I can't get it on for 3 reasons:

1) It's just a bit too small, maybe it'd stretch out a bit.
2) The pop fittings around my trim are pretty much lined up with the clips, so you can't clip it on accurately.
3) It's so tight that it's really pulling against one side of the folded roof - my roof is down as far as it will go, it doesn't go perfectly flush. I notice there are wear pads stuck on the inside so this is expected to some extent.

Since they sent me two, and since they haven't responded to my email asking about fitment I'm going to modify one of them - I'll pull all the clips and get hold of lots of snaps. This will let it fit correctly, it should be easier to fit and remove, and it'll remove about 5mm of required stretch from the whole edge. I'll look for new trim at some point too. Found some bondo under one of the trim fittings, and two areas under the parts where the outer wing and panel above the trunk lid meet. Seems a common rust area - not my car but you can see where I mean on this one:

furyrust.jpg

The silver snaps showing when it's fitted will at least go with the general look of my car.

DSC_0201.jpg

The boots fit very snug , I like to install mine in a well heated shop or maybe in the hot sun. Once it’s on it will stretch. When the roof is down it is normal to have the 2 small bumps on your boot from the roof pushing up on it , as you noted there are square wear patchs on the other side to prevent damage to the boot. The boot is supposed to fit tight like that , that’s how they fit from factory. when you are cruising around in the hot summer it stretches and loosens up like it’s designed to do. If you take it apart and make it bigger when you drive around on a Beautiful hot summer day it will stretch loose and flop around like a fish out of water when your driving down the road and unclip itself. Secondly the holes left in the boot from the first sewing Process will be visible and cause a week spot and the material will tear along the old seam. If you really want to put snaps on one of your boots cut the plastic clips off flush with a side cutter or carefully grind them flat and install the snaps though the flat plastic left in the boot from the clip . (You said the snaps are in the same place as the clips ) It will give you great reinforcement needed for the snaps . Good luck. Nice car by the way.

Great looking car, I like the lake pipes, they look pretty good with the wheels, but I'm not sure about the skirts.

The tonneau cover for 69 should be the same as 70 as far as I know. When I bought my car the cover was a pain in the butt, put it on, take it off, etc so I simply removed it and stuck in on a shelf in the garage. However after restoring the car 40 years later I dug it out and reinstalled it. Couple things I've learned, never put the top down while it's wet, nasty stuff will grow on the inside surface. Also try to avoid doing much when the plastic is cold. The tonneau cover must be a tight fit otherwise wind blowing under it will balloon it up and off the clips. My solution is to lay it out loose in the sun and it will quickly get nice and soft, stretchy and easy to install. Ditto with the roof, raise it but don't latch it. Give the sun a few minutes to warm it up before pulling it tight with the front latches.

I had a 68 Fury with dome fasteners like yours and they worked well. However they could be a challenge for my wife who didn't have the finger strength to get them snapped. The hook style seem to work much better.

I have a related boot cover fitment question. I have the correct plastic clips but is it supposed to attach to anything behind the back seat and speaker grill? Mine has nothing and wind can get under it. I don't usually drive with it on but have forgotten at times. I do have a metal strip with rubber behind the seat but I always thought it was a part of the well liner...that I dont have. But this thread got me questioning myself.

Great looking car, I like the lake pipes, they look pretty good with the wheels, but I'm not sure about the skirts.

Thanks - people at work have been thinking it's older than it is due to the overall look and WW tyres and people don't give this car any hassle - even Audis won't tailgate it. I feel like when the radio is fixed I should probably just have it loop the Peter Gunn theme as soon as the engine starts. I'm trying to source original skirts for it to try those out - it doesn't look as good with them removed totally. I'd always planned to pull the pipes off too but they're growing on me.

It's a shame the original boot is missing, it's definitely some kind of aftermarket one because behind the rear seat in the channel you're supposed to slide the front of the boot into, there's one half of a long zip slid in there instead - I wonder if the original owner still has it, I can probably trace him. Pops at the back and a zip at the front must be really convenient. At least since I have two I can play around with one. Suggestion above of trying to use the clip plastic as reinforcement might just work.

I have a related boot cover fitment question. I have the correct plastic clips but is it supposed to attach to anything behind the back seat and speaker grill? Mine has nothing and wind can get under it. I don't usually drive with it on but have forgotten at times. I do have a metal strip with rubber behind the seat but I always thought it was a part of the well liner...that I dont have. But this thread got me questioning myself.

There should be a metal strip channel right at the top edge of the seat, if you have a bit of rubber in there (mine had rubber and one half of a zip) just slide it out and the front edge of the boot should slide in.

Back