Convertible pump fluid?

TerryM

Reaction score
Hi, just wondering what fluid ppl use in their convertible top pumps? Also does anyone know the correct procedure to bleed the system? Everything is brand new. Cheers Terry

C000892E-D244-4F81-8342-027ADF4F7BB9.jpeg

Older units used brake fluid. That changed to trans fluid some time in the 60's. Best to consult your FSM.
The system is bled by cycling the top down and up until it works as it should.

I use ATF on my '62 300 convertible. Easier to clean up and won't eat your paint up. Open the fill screw slowly and listen for air escaping.

Mine has brake fluid in it. Work the top up and down and it should clear the air out, keep checking the level. As some have said newer cars used trans fluid. Check to see if there is any fluid in yours and use what’s in it now don’t mix them.

Hi, just wondering what fluid ppl use in their convertible top pumps? Also does anyone know the correct procedure to bleed the system? Everything is brand new. Cheers Terry

View attachment 349648
Good Morning

My 66 uses transmission fluid. There are kits for refilling available that make it less messy. But I can also find and scan the instructions to you if you wish.

G'day!
I've used power steering fluid and transmission fluid in different convertibles and both work just fine. I steer away from brake fluid because the roof hydraulics seem to be prone to leaks and brake fluid is bad news on painted floor pans and even worse under rugs.

To fill and bleed the system, remove the fill plug found on the pump reservoir an fill with the oil you decide to use. Fill to the bottom of the threads, I use a turkey baster. make a tin foil tray to sit under the fill hole to catch drips. replace the plug but leave it loose enough to pass trapped air. Cycle the top up and down. Check the fluid level against the threads and if required top it up and repeat the top cycle. You get the idea!

Your car is amazing!!

IF the seals are new, then check with the seal provider to see what fluids they might be compatible with. Then go from there. On an un-rebuilt factory system, then the FSM recommendations would be operative. Brake fluid was OEM with many brands up into the later 1960s, as brake fluid was "everywhere" as atf was not, in the earlier years.

The old Dexron II fluid is long gone, replaced by the current Dex VI, which is semi-syn. Dexron IV fluid is still around, as "multi-make" with GM vehicles being listed on the bottle as the main application. Other "multi-make" atf is related to import brands, fwiw. Check the ACDelco chemical/fluid products, too.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

IF the seals are new, then check with the seal provider to see what fluids they might be compatible with. Then go from there. On an un-rebuilt factory system, then the FSM recommendations would be operative. Brake fluid was OEM with many brands up into the later 1960s, as brake fluid was "everywhere" as atf was not, in the earlier years.

The old Dexron II fluid is long gone, replaced by the current Dex VI, which is semi-syn. Dexron IV fluid is still around, as "multi-make" with GM vehicles being listed on the bottle as the main application. Other "multi-make" atf is related to import brands, fwiw. Check the ACDelco chemical/fluid products, too.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67
The whole system is brand new. I’ll try and find the supplier. Thanks for your reply:)

Mine has brake fluid in it. Work the top up and down and it should clear the air out, keep checking the level. As some have said newer cars used trans fluid. Check to see if there is any fluid in yours and use what’s in it now don’t mix them.
Thanks mate. Mine is all brand new and never filled. Although I did check an old spare set I had which looked like atf fluid

G'day!
I've used power steering fluid and transmission fluid in different convertibles and both work just fine. I steer away from brake fluid because the roof hydraulics seem to be prone to leaks and brake fluid is bad news on painted floor pans and even worse under rugs.

To fill and bleed the system, remove the fill plug found on the pump reservoir an fill with the oil you decide to use. Fill to the bottom of the threads, I use a turkey baster. make a tin foil tray to sit under the fill hole to catch drips. replace the plug but leave it loose enough to pass trapped air. Cycle the top up and down. Check the fluid level against the threads and if required top it up and repeat the top cycle. You get the idea!

Your car is amazing!!
Thanks mate:)

The whole system is brand new. I’ll check with the supplier. Thanks for your reply :)
Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Thanks mate. Mine is all brand new and never filled. Although I did check an old spare set I had which looked like atf fluid
You should be ok with atf, it’s a low pressure hydraulic system and as long as you don’t mix it you should be fine. It wouldn’t hurt to double check with the manufacturer of the seals and pump but I have a feeling it would be ok.
I used brake fluid because there was a mix of fluids in there, probably atf and brake fluid so it didn’t work properly. I checked the manual and it said brake fluid so I flushed it out and went with the brake fluid. It’s been fine ever since.

I was told by I can’t remember who but somebody I trusted to use type F in my Challenger so that’s been in there for years.

Back