Convertible top - plastic or glass window?

TXPinkSkurtz

Reaction score
I'm replacing the top on my 1968 Fury III convertible and was wondering if I should go with glass or plastic (it currently has plastic, but it's yellowed and cracked)?

I forgot to ask if glass will fit back in the boot when the top is down, or if it must be taken out first, before lowering the top?

The original top on my 68 was a glass window. Also on a 68 Dart and a 68 Barracuda I had in the 70's. I can't say if the glass was standard across the board or an option. No problem with the glass going up and down.

I forgot to ask if glass will fit back in the boot when the top is down, or if it must be taken out first, before lowering the top?
Leave it in. It all folds up into the trunk.

Only warning is to not put stuff in the trunk where the top folds into. You can break the glass.

Only warning is to not put stuff in the trunk where the top folds into. You can break the glass.
Considering you live in NY state and just to add to this warning . Be very cautious operating the top mechanism in extremely cold temperatures. I've heard more than a few anecdotes of shattering rear glass in those conditions including from the former owner of my car.

Considering you live in NY state and just to add to this warning . Be very cautious operating the top mechanism in extremely cold temperatures. I've heard more than a few anecdotes of shattering rear glass in those conditions including from the former owner of my car.
Generally speaking, I don't put the top down in the winter....

Seems like the big Ford/Mercury was the first with the hard back window, in about 1965 or 1966? Had a hinge in the middle, too? After that, everybody else seemed to follow suit quickly.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Original glass top on 67 & 68 dodge, plymouth and chrysler convertibles is Corning chemically tempered glass, otherwise known as gorilla glass...the same glass used today for iphones and other smart phones cover glass.

The vinyl windows look great as long as you don't wash them with any chemicals (only water) and keep them out of the sun for months on end. I'm sure most of the cars on this site are garage kept. However if it originally came with glass then that's the way I would go.

100% glass, looks better & easier to care for but the real question is garaged or no? Having a garage I haven’t had the top up in 3 years except for one night it was parked in Hollywood. And yes the glass window was still there...

My dad told me a story about the '67 Sport Fury convertible he used to have. Right after he got it, he went to put the top down. He didn't know that you're supposed to unzip the zipper around the glass first, and that it rests separately inside the well. Top went down and POP went the glass.

I guess you're supposed to unzip the plastic windows like in my '66 Chrysler as well. Whoever owned mine previously never did and it already had a horizontal crease in the middle of the window. I only worked the zipper once, and it was so hard to zip back up, partly from lack of use, that I never touched it again.

I presume the top mechanism is basically the same for pre-67 with plastic vs 1968+ with glass, and his car tried to fold the glass window the same way my plastic one folds. :D

i HATE the plastic window in my top...had the car 20 yrs now, garaged the entire time and at this point you cant see out the window at all...

My dad told me a story about the '67 Sport Fury convertible he used to have. Right after he got it, he went to put the top down. He didn't know that you're supposed to unzip the zipper around the glass first, and that it rests separately inside the well. Top went down and POP went the glass.

I guess you're supposed to unzip the plastic windows like in my '66 Chrysler as well. Whoever owned mine previously never did and it already had a horizontal crease in the middle of the window. I only worked the zipper once, and it was so hard to zip back up, partly from lack of use, that I never touched it again.

I presume the top mechanism is basically the same for pre-67 with plastic vs 1968+ with glass, and his car tried to fold the glass window the same way my plastic one folds. :D
If the zipper is troubling you, you could run across it with a pencil lead several times. Should smooth it out.

I never unzip the glass window in my '70.

I did it once, with the top up, just to see how, but it was a PITA.

Back