Convertible tops , Boots and well liners

One picture is what sets the standard; unless another period photo with as much authority contradicts.
Which picture are you referring to?

There are 2 1970 Polara convertible pics showing original tops and 5 retouched/enhanced factory pictures of 1969 C bodies just in this thread.

There's also one lone '66 Imperial factory photo that really doesn't have much to do with the discussion because it's.... well... a '66 Imperial and we're talking about '69/70 fuselage cars. I'll even bet that Imperial top was nicer from the factory than the fuselage tops.

While there's nothing that can 100% say that every car came out of the factory with the rear bow wrapping around the side as far as Dave ( @polara71 ) says, it's a safe bet that is correct for these cars. I take him at his word that he has pictures and has seen other cars with original tops.

There are many examples of vehicles shown in showroom brochures/catalogs that were printed before some cars were even in production yet that were changed with the production models, making the photos in the brochures outdated and incorrect.

For me, a few production models that are original and confirmed are more reliable than any photo.

There are many examples of vehicles shown in showroom brochures/catalogs that were printed before some cars were even in production yet that were changed with the production models, making the photos in the brochures outdated and incorrect.

For example:
1969-plymouth-brochure.jpg

For me, a few production models that are original and confirmed are more reliable than any photo.

Here’s a couple pictures of each side of my 68 Newport Vert. This is the original top.

upload_2021-5-22_19-25-18.jpeg
upload_2021-5-22_19-25-18.jpeg

Here’s a couple pictures of each side of my 68 Newport Vert. This is the original top.

View attachment 461206View attachment 461207

When looking I certainly didn't put slabs in my scope. The trim is there I presume to hide the rear bow. If it stops too high you can see the bulging material over the bow under the top, it's ugly or can be.
Not a lot of original tops left.

seems like the trim may not go completely to the end of the bow. there must have been a little room left to compensate for not centering the trim strip on the assembly line . i guess the question would be if the trim strip was pre-cut or if it came on a roll. if cut during installation every car would be different.

It doesn't go all the way down, you are correct. Sure some margin for error I suppose but I don't know how it was installed.
The local replacement upholstery guy receives a roll from the supplier and installs it, he cuts to length.

In the interest of showing original tops, here's my 68 Imperial. Original green, mostly shredded, top but you can still make out how it extends down the side on the bow.

16177672_1327154210639926_5639931841109787655_o.jpg

I appreciate this detail as I'm new to convertibles and I'll make sure this is duplicated when I get a new top done.

OK folks, question -- Snow White, my 1970 Polara 'vert, needs a new top boot. Legendary sells a black one for $387, including the sewn-in clips. They have a sale right now, so I was thinking of picking up a new top (black crush grain), glass rear window curtain (black crush grain), and well liner (black coachman grain) from them all at the same time in order to get approximately 15% off the $1,150 total.

Well, it's been almost three years since that post, and Snow White is finally at the point where the only thing left for long trips is a new top. The price of the 4 components at Legendary has risen from $1,150 to $1,505 -- talk about inflation :wideyed:

@polara71 pointed me back to this thread as the repository of the correct info and pics.

--> Has anyone bought a top/curtain/boot/well liner from Legendary since the last post in this thread two years ago? Interested in 1969-1970 Dodge 'verts of course, but any experience with Fury/300/Newport 'verts of 1969-1970 would be welcome info.

--> Has anyone bought a top/curtain/boot/well liner from Legendary since the last post in this thread two years ago? Interested in 1969-1970 Dodge 'verts of course, but any experience with Fury/300/Newport 'verts of 1969-1970 would be welcome info.
I bought a boot from them late summer of 2021. They estimated 6 weeks and I got it about 6 1/2 weeks later. It came out nice... This is a picture before I put the snaps on.

One thing I did was buy the tool to install the snaps. Even though there's only a few snaps, it made things much, much easier. This is what I bought, but I see it's not available now. Amazon product ASIN B08Y2DKDS9They have other similar ones though.

ssgd99w-jpg.jpg

Back