Converting from RV-2 to Sanden

Here's a really good price on one.
Mastercool 71550 A/C Hose Crimper Tool Kit | eBay

If you do a search on Ebay for Mastercool crimper, there's a few that come up for bid, but it's from a zero feedback seller.

Well....just bought this kit. We shall see what happens from this seller.
Low feedback, 14 I think. Shipping from Virginia. I'm thinking it's a copy, just saw another one for 43 bucks, shipping from China.

Putting a list together to add AC to my non AC car. Going with a Mark IV underdash. Going to have to rethink my underdash 4-gauge pod setup I'm installing. Doing research here on the forum, putting a parts list together.

Little leery buying this for 32 bucks, when same item is 150 on Amazon. But, last year I bought a high end item that was way, way under priced. They were selling like 20 of this particular coffee maker for way under what it should have been. The seller had low feedback, like this seller, but I got the item delivered quick, without any issues. Couple weeks after I got the item, seller was no longer around. Maybe 'fell of the back of the truck' type deals. hmmmm. Will see if I get anything. If not, protected by ebay at least.

Last edited:
Well....just bought this kit. We shall see what happens from this seller.
Low feedback, 14 I think. Shipping from Virginia. I'm thinking it's a copy, just saw another one for 43 bucks, shipping from China.

Putting a list together to add AC to my non AC car. Going with a Mark IV underdash. Going to have to rethink my underdash 4-gauge pod setup I'm installing. Doing research here on the forum, putting a parts list together.

Little leery buying this for 32 bucks, when same item is 150 on Amazon. But, last year I bought a high end item that was way, way under priced. They were selling like 20 of this particular coffee maker for way under what it should have been. The seller had low feedback, like this seller, but I got the item delivered quick, without any issues. Couple weeks after I got the item, seller was no longer around. Maybe 'fell of the back of the truck' type deals. hmmmm. Will see if I get anything. If not, protected by ebay at least.
I just clicked on the link and I see that it took me to a different listing and seller. eBay is doing some strange stuff with completed sales lately.

I'm hoping it's not a scam, but at $32, it might be worth the gamble.

I think I paid around $100 for mine a couple years ago.

Save yourself a boatload of frustration and use Aeroquip EZ Clip.

I put a Mark IV in our wagon and after the third crimp started spewing I gave up and I had use of the genuine crimping tool.

I lucked on to an EZ Clip hose kit for $100 that was missing a couple of fittings. Now I just need to be home long enough install it.

For the short time the fittings held I found that the Mark IV will freeze you out tho.

E-Z Clip System for A/C Refrigerant Hoses

Kevin

A few tips from AC work on my fleet of 7 vehicles:

RV-2 is a heavy beast, but dependable. Sanden is the best replacement and used by most hot-rodders. SD7 is latest greatest (more pistons, smoother). Come in various sizes, w/ H15 (15 cc?) most common. All have same front-side bolt pattern and most have 2-groove pulley though I have seen 1 groove ones. H14 is same length. H13 is 1" shorter, if pressed for space. Used in Civics, but might suffice in a C-body up north. Many rear heads available ($20 ebay). You can swap them easy. Most rodders use top O-ring fittings (#8 suction, #6 discharge). No need for a surge bottle like the RV-2 used. Some heads have a port for a pressure relief valve (PRV, ~$8 ebay, ~290 psig), which can keep the compressor from slipping the clutch and melting it on a hot day (happened to me when 108F in Sacramento). Shop for all AC parts on ebay in the winter, when I have bought a new Sanden for $50. My Newport came with an after-market York compressor (Sears, Western Auto, etc did many retro-fits in the 1960-70's). It is about as small and light as a Sanden so satisfied.

I have the Master-cool crimper (maybe $120 used ebay). You can also buy hose and ferrules on ebay. Buy "barrier hose", which has a liner to lessen leakage thru the rubber (mandatory for R-134A). I prefer "reduced barrier" for a smaller OD, especially for suction hoses. There are add-on crimp jaws (pricey) but I found the next smaller size is often perfect, and indeed Master-cool states that for some sizes. I also fabb'ed oil cooler hoses and coolant hoses for my other cars (M-B & minivans) using the crimper. When done, I'll sell it for about what I paid. You could also use Oeticker stepless ear clamps for a professional look (ebay). No need for the special crimp pliers since cheap "nail puller" pliers work or probably the PEX crimp pliers at Home Depot would also.

A parallel-flow condenser is 30% more efficient and ~$50 for a "universal" on ebay. C-bodies have room to get a large one for better efficiency. If a non-factory AC car, cheapest is to use an under-dash "knee-knocker" which came on my Newport. It is long and thin. New ones are $110 on ebay or $50 used. They have an integral expansion valve and anti-ice switch, so just connect 12 VDC and 2 hoses. Go thru the firewall w/ bulkhead O-ring fittings, as most rodders use.

Re refrigerant, R-134A is being outlawed (bad greenhouse gas), which has long been true in Europe. I have used Duracool (hyrdocarbon) since 1997 in my Newport and now in all my vehicles (even 2002 T&C). Read all the FUD spread by AC shops and decide the risk for yourself. No fires in millions of car using it. A bottle feels empty (6 oz) so carrying a newspaper in the car is more scary, plus you would smell any leak (Mercapton added). I even poured some liquid on the concrete and lit it to see how scary. It barely burned, like candle wax (must boil first). I also use PAO 68 oil since more efficient and doesn't absorb moisture (like PAG) to cause internal corrosion. Mixes with all prior oils and works with any refrigerant (at least HC, Freon, R-134A, don't know about R-1234yf).

Did you have to get new belts? I bought the bpe bracket and a sander compressor. Now that it’s mounted, it seems to sit much lower than the rv2 and there tons of slack in the old belts

John, I just discovered your thread as I am starting my A/C rebuild and not sure yet how I am going to do it. Great writeup and pics, lots of helpful info for me to chew on.

I went with a Sanden.

20180817_141218.jpg

Wonderful, my hope was that it would be helpful. I think I've been through your town many months ago.
Let me know the next time you are here!
Question, did you add a thermo cycling switch when you did the conversion?

View attachment 132188
No my wife likes the sound of the 4 barrel opening when she goes to pass another car. This is what I had before the engine swap last year.
Hey 66Newyorker, I read in another post that you left the stock condenser when you did your conversion. How does it perform and how long since you did the switch?

I have mine set not to see those @insertnamehere notifications

Back