Coolant Overflow Bottle

SPF Required

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of replacing my radiator which I think is going to cure a lot of my heat issues. During this process, I want to add a coolant overflow bottle. I have a 1968 300 with a 440 engine. From what I can tell, back in those days the overflow just spilled to the ground (the tube in the radiator neck just dumps out of the bottom of the engine bay).

I was curious to know (and possibly see) some ideas you guys have done for overflow bottles in your cars. Any links to products would certainly be appreciated too.

Thanks!

What you have is exactly like they were built back then.

CBODY67

What you have is exactly like they were built back then.

CBODY67
Yes…. This I understand. But I don’t want the coolant overflow to spill onto the ground anymore (just feels like the right thing to do). I am looking to see what other folks might have done to modify their system for some inspiration

I have something like this on my 66 T&C, and will be adding it to my 66 Monaco once it's roadworthy.

Amazon product ASIN B016V2BIB0
1695251087910.png

You can make your own too. I did with an old see-thru plastic container from one of those nutribullet things. Screw on top and does not take up a lot of room. Works good.

Yes…. This I understand. But I don’t want the coolant overflow to spill onto the ground anymore (just feels like the right thing to do). I am looking to see what other folks might have done to modify their system for some inspiration
I fabricated a catch can similar to what Ross posted. I used a bicycle water bottle bracket and an old pint sized rubbing alcohol bottle. I painted both satin black and mounted the pair down low on the driver side radiator header ( engine bay side) I drilled a hole in the bottle cap JUST big enough to run the overflow hose into the bottle - I’ve had this set up for years - never had a problem

Thanks for sharing. This is helpful. Do these pull the coolant back into the system once it cools, or do they just collect the overflow from hitting the ground?

You guys with the DIY systems, are the containers vented? They have to be otherwise you have turned it into a closed system. You don't want that .

many options out there depending on how fancy or basic you want to go, I went with this aluminum one that was fairly inexpensive on either jegs or summit(cant remember which one anymore)

IMG_5426.jpeg

Thanks for all the input. Truly appreciated. I never even thought about looking at an aftermarket option, or thinking of looking on Amazon (brain fart on my part). With my engine being modified a bit, and by no means original, there are plenty of option now that I know what to look for. The one the @HOT FURY posted really caught my attention. Thanks again!

I've got a one-gallon O'Reilly's anti-freeze jug on my '66 Imperial - purely temporary - it sits in that giant, cavernous space between the radiator support and the grill. I suspect the solution that @HOT FURY has on his is the way I'm gonna go with my car. It's attractive and unobtrusive.

To clarify: the overflow bottle is vented. Coolant will flow into the bottle when puked out of the radiator cap when the pressure exceeds the rating of the cap. Upon cooling, the coolant will be sucked back into the radiator as required. This assumes that the cooling system is sealed and can hold pressure and a vacuum.

I've used something like this for an overflow.

2" X 15" POLISHED STAINLESS STEEL RADIATOR COOLANT OVERFLOW PUKE TANK CAN 24OZ | eBay

I usually don't like that type of polished stuff under the hood, but I have one mounted in front of the rad support and you hardly notice it. A little flat black paint and you gotta be looking for it. Much better looking than the aftermarket plastic tanks if nothing else.

Go to eBay and search radiator overflow for more results. There are smaller versions that are probably enough.

1695334126149.png

Back