Coolant Overflow Bottle

Got a question ,besides keeping water/antifreeze from puking on the ground does the overflow bottle doing it's job keeping most all air out of the radiator make the radiator last longer? Also with no air in the system is cooling capacity increased a bit? Or is it just a antifreeze mix puke stopper?

Last edited:
This is what i just did

coolant.oil seperator.aux fuse.jpg

Got a question ,besides keeping water/antifreeze from puking on the ground does the overflow bottle doing it's job keeping most all air out of the radiator make the radiator last longer? Also with no air in the system is cooling capacity increased a bit? Or is it just a antifreeze mix puke stopper?
It's just a puke-stopper. The radiator should not be filled up that full, in my opinion.

I just use an old quart of oil bottle wedged between the core support and battery. Comes out in seconds for when at the big Mopar shows and it was free.

100_1698.jpg

Got a question ,besides keeping water/antifreeze from puking on the ground does the overflow bottle doing it's job keeping most all air out of the radiator make the radiator last longer? Also with no air in the system is cooling capacity increased a bit? Or is it just an antifreeze mix puke stopper?
You want the info, here you go….
A radiator cap (pressure cap) will hold that pressure in the radiator and release coolant into the overflow tank as needed. The vacuum valve in the center of the cap will allow the coolant back into the radiator when the engine cools. It’s important to keep air out of the system because it will create rust/contamination in the cooling system.
The pressure in the system is to control cavitation and overheating. For every 1 lb. of pressure, it will raise the boiling point 3 degrees, therefore a 15 lb. cap will raise the boiling point 45 degrees - a 20 lb. cap = 60 degrees, and so on…..
If you want to go into how important the thermostat is to keep the engine from overheating, keep in mind a hotter thermostat will allow the coolant to stay in the radiator longer (cooling it) before entering back into the engine. Removing or using a cooler thermostat will normally cause overheating.
THE PURPOSE OF THE COOLING SYSTEM IS TO HEAT THE ENGINE UP AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE, AND MAINTAIN THAT TEMPERATURE AT MAXIMUM POWER OUTPUT.
The cooling system is responsible for only 31% of the heat produced in the engine. 31% goes out the exhaust. 8% is radiation (what you feel when you lift the hood), and it needs to hold on to 30% to run efficiently.
I teach this stuff to High-school students, if any of this info seems wrong, look it up. There’s more, but this post is long enough

It’s important to keep air out of the system because it will create rust/contamination in the cooling system.
Thanks for the info. Most I knew but was most concerned with my 69 that did not and still has no overflow tank. I was concerned about the large airspace above the coolant in the radiator after it burped and how the air could cause corrosion.

Thanks for the info. Most I knew but was most concerned with my 69 that did not and still has no overflow tank. I was concerned about the large airspace above the coolant in the radiator after it burped and how the air could cause corrosion.
You’re welcome.
When there isn’t an overflow tank and the engine cools off, you’re right about having concerns with that airspace, the air being pulled into the radiator is considered contamination. Granted, the air will cycle in and out of the overflow tank, it’s just best to keep the air out of the radiator.
Once the corrosion starts, the seal on the water pump might have a problem.

You had a great question. I remember a long time ago when my understanding was much different than the truth of how the cooling system actually works efficiently.

When I was building my hot rod Newport, I made my own with a NOS energy drink bottle (24 oz), a hose clamp and some leftover braided hose/fittings. This way when the hood is open, some kid who doesn't know any better can point to it and say, "Oh cool, look! He's got NOS!"
IMG_20210808_112012269.jpg

And yes, it works. The hole on the cap is big enough to allow air & vapor to flow, but the real trick to it's effectiveness is the hose MUST reach to the bottom. That way when the radiator cools off, the vacuum it creates internally will draw the spent coolant back in to keep the radiator full.

You can use ANY container as a puke bottle. Hell, my old dodge pickup uses a 1 quart oil bottle, no cap, sitting between the fender and the battery on the battery tray. So long as the top of the bottle doesn't sit higher than the radiator cap, the hose goes to the bottom and it's vented open, it'll capture any boilover and suck it back in when the system cools.

Please, could do you give me the dimensions of this reservoir? It could be usefull before ordering one and ship to Spain.
Regards.
Sorry, I no longer have the car to take dimensions. Maybe @pioneer would be able to do it. An online search shows a very similar (possibly a newer part number) with dimensions of 13.2 x 8.8 x 5.5 inches which, from memory, seems close to the one I had.
52027784 - Genuine Mopar Tank-COOLANT Reserve

Sorry, I no longer have the car to take dimensions. Maybe @pioneer would be able to do it. An online search shows a very similar (possibly a newer part number) with dimensions of 13.2 x 8.8 x 5.5 inches which, from memory, seems close to the one I had.
52027784 - Genuine Mopar Tank-COOLANT Reserve
Thank you 300rag and everybody, for your help.
Now I can check the fit perfectly.

Regards.

Back