Correct 61 Plymouth booster

SGT FURY

Reaction score
Im sending out a 61 Plymouth power brake booster for rebuilding to booster Dewey.
My question is which is the correct booster fo a 61 Plymouth? The oval style or the accordion style. I have both styles on my 61s. I see the accordion type in owners Manuel, but most of my cars have the oval. Was the oval a mid year replacement?

Accordion was going away early in the 1961 model year changing over to the oval can.
So it makes sense to see accordion in the brochures and factory literature.
Bottom left of the body code plate has the build date of the vehicle.

Im sending out a 61 Plymouth power brake booster for rebuilding to booster Dewey.
My question is which is the correct booster fo a 61 Plymouth? The oval style or the accordion style. I have both styles on my 61s. I see the accordion type in owners Manuel, but most of my cars have the oval. Was the oval a mid year replacement?

I have a '61 Chrysler service manual and it shows booth boosters but does not give any information if one or the other was being phased out. I am thinking that they were used interchangeably until the bellows type went away in '62.

Dave

It’s been a while since this thread was active…I’ve not been here for a while. My thoughts on this issue is, the accordion style may look good but what a massive PITA to work around. If you’re like me, experiencing brake issues and needing to access the master cylinder, the location of the master cylinder makes this an extremely frustrating process. And I mean frustrating. Yes, I know all about applying the brakes which compresses the accordion booster, thereby exposing a 1/4” of the master cylinder, but it still makes accessing the master easy (and it’s still not”easy”) only if you have a flashlight, a turkey baster and can contort your body the way you might have been able to when you were 14. Plus, you may end up with brake fluid everywhere you don’t want it. Bottom line…if I was doing this again and knew then what I know now, I would have stuck with the oval style booster.

Back