Couldn't Help Myself

And I forgot to give a shout-out to @69monaco, who gave me a link to the second CL ad. I gave up hope a day or two earlier. Thanks FCBO for helping save another one!

I've been preaching "buy it done!" and here I go and buy a project, doable, but it will be more than the initial plan, but isn't that how they all go? Took me about two minutes to figure that out, but yeah, it's a cool car. At least I know what to look for in the swap meets!

It won't be an easy one, but it's well worth doing. Finding good tail lights will probably be one of the bigger challenges. The original seller told me that some kids shot at the tail lights with a BB gun and damaged the lenses. Someone did re-pop the lenses about ten years ago, and every so often a set of those will come up for sale. Your long-term schedule will work well on this car, as it will give you plenty of time to gather up parts before you get started on it.

It was a hard decision to pass on that one. It's tough to find them with A/C, let alone power windows and seat. Most have black interiors, like the one in the sales ad. I also figured that it was unlikely that anyone would restore it. I know that the seller was getting lots of calls to sell parts off of it, mainly the buckets and console. Years ago I had a white 500 with red interior. Sadly, it had no title, and was way too rough to restore. I look forward to the day that you get to start on this one, and bring it back to life.

Jeff

I think you live too close to Doc.
This Mid 60’s Polara hoarding....I mean collecting seems similar to some early 70’s imps.

You now have projects to keep you busy for a while.

Did you measure the trailer deck before you headed down? It looks like a close fit.

I think you live too close to Doc.
This Mid 60’s Polara hoarding....I mean collecting seems similar to some early 70’s imps.

You now have projects to keep you busy for a while.

Did you measure the trailer deck before you headed down? It looks like a close fit.
Plenty of room on that uhaul, had at least 6-8" or more. Others have confirmed it would fit. The seller did question it though.

Plenty of room on that uhaul, had at least 6-8" or more. Others have confirmed it would fit. The seller did question it though.
What was your setup? max weight allowance for trailer? Are Polaras/Monacos about 3500 lbs?

The '65-'66 Monaco, along with the 2nd generation Charger, are (in my opinion) the best designs Dodge put out in the 1960s, they look good from every angle. Good on you for saving this one.

What was your setup? max weight allowance for trailer? Are Polaras/Monacos about 3500 lbs?
I just told them it was a Coronet, that's what the guy at the gas station called it! I thought I looked before and they said it wouldn't fit, I was looking to haul a Coronet then too...:rolleyes: It fits fine, the short wheelbase of the trailer can make for some fun times with sway. Once I was away from semis and crappy roads it hauled fine, it definitely liked small adjustments. I see the point of a longer trailer, just for handling, let alone fitment. I'd use a uhaul again.

You can't miss with a console and buckets, and that super cool dash design. The exterior design has such clean lines. Glad you are saving it.

Colors and options make that car. You will learn a lot fixing it! Congrats.
I've learned it will be a lot more than I told myself! I've already torn my car apart enough, and a couple parts cars, but I'm sure there's something I missed! Parts hunting starts very soon.

Although I love driving my Sport Fury, I have always found that there is a lot of fun in the parts-chase, too. I believe I probably speak for many, if not most, of the guys here when I say that. Nice score, and good luck with bringing it back to life. At least it will keep you out of trouble for a while!

Although I love driving my Sport Fury, I have always found that there is a lot of fun in the parts-chase, too. I believe I probably speak for many, if not most, of the guys here when I say that. Nice score, and good luck with bringing it back to life. At least it will keep you out of trouble for a while!
Or get me into some!

I found a very delicate partial broadcast sheet in the rear seat back today.

IMG_20180712_090723.jpg

I don't know if I saved all of it, it was very, very brittle. Got the pieces and will put them in some plastic sleeve. Has the big codes on it, Power Seat and Windows, but I just glanced over most of it real quick and stashed it away.

I also got a chance to check out the potential storage unit, damn! It's plenty big to house all my cars, and the truck, and work on one with plenty of room. Going to wait a day or so to bug the owner, but he seems like he wants me to rent it instead of the current renter, who I guess doesn't really need it. That works for me. Don't want to be too pushy.

Parts hunting starts very soon.
I was going through some parts I have laying around, and I realized I had gotten some parts for this car before I even got it. I got one spinner hubcap (wheel cover) with the Polara 500, and I bought 3 other from @TWR for a full set for wall art. The Monaco didn't come with any, so I'll use those on the car, and the three I got from TWR are very nice driver condition, I still have to clean up mine and see how close I can get it.

Last edited:
Back