Cousin Polara Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

cantflip

Old Jagoff with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
After getting my due amount of abuse from Dave and several other folks I love around here, I went to Carlisle in 2016 and met Dave @polara71 and his family for the first time. They were warm and welcoming to everyone who crossed their paths and went out of their way to provide shade and G rated refreshments for any who came to their canopies.

Dave made a point of trying to remember everyone's names, handles and cars, and he introduced folks to each other all weekend. He is a role model ambassador to our hobby. He also is a ball-buster to communicate with, verbally or online, he will call BS on any half-thought-out nonsense someone wants to spout and tends to ask very pointed questions when he is trying to learn your opinions or motivations.

Dave became the first FCBO member I got to meet in person. He also gave me my first "you suck" verbally for finding a "parts car" with road wheels.

On Sunday, I realized his last name looking at the awards list. I discussed with him shortly after that I had a great, great grandmother with the same name and joked that we could be distant cousins. Neither of us knows our family tree well enough to make a connection or even worry about it.

In years since, I tried to meet up with Dave for breakfast at least one day during Carlisle and even got the privileged of horrifying his son by revealing the "family" connection :D. Few folks have such an involved and graceful family. Those of us lucky enough have met his wife, father, children and grandchildren. I hope he finds his way back to Carlisle next year and at least some of this continues... not expecting him to set up as he has in the past.

The point of this thread is... Polara Dave has been banned from FCBO.

IDK if this is permanent or temporary, IDK the details as to why, and none of that matters here. This thread is in the public area and will be something Dave can see without a membership. Please say hi to Dave or say something about him, I'm sure he misses communication with a number of folks here. Please don't use this to bash or ***** about why he got banned! It will do nothing positive to rehash crap and may kill the thread.

I hope all is well for Dave and his family in his Camelot home in Idaho.

I have known Dave for over a decade.....

And with conversation we both realized we probably knew each other even years before through Carlisle. We probably walked past each other or looked at cars and didn't officially know each other. I know there was one year that I was parked right next to Dave and we didn't know each other... I started going to Chrysler's at Carlisle in 1993 when I was still in the Army. I have only missed one year of Carlisle from 1993 to 2017. 2017 started my severe health issues and my participation has been limited since then. Dave and his entire family has been very friendly to the entire FCBO crew at Carlisle for years... I too agree that Dave should be allowed back on the site after a vacation and not permanently banned.

Hi Dave. Hope all is well with you and the family in Gods Country. As my mother use to say. “This to shall pass” for the good, bad or indifferent..

Hey Dave, welcome to the site from the Motor City!:thumbsup:

airstream2.png

Thanks Jeff, we’ll said! I think Dave was the first to rename your handle “CantShutUp”, just one of the the variety of nick-names he bestowed on members here.

When I started my build thread he was very supportive of this most impossible task, and even offered to help. He lived only 40 minutes from me, but being from Jersey, I was naturally suspicious of Jersey guys, so I declined, lol. But it was Dave, organizer of the largest non-club meet up of FCBO members that convinced me to attend my first Carlisle. Meeting Dave and his family, and being able to rest away from the heat in the oasis they created was a godsend. He loves to say that he doesn’t like people or want any friends, but tell that to the 20 plus members that would show up at his tent every year at 10 am just to get a group photo! Agree with him or not, Dave makes this site interesting and brings people into the conversation, which is what it is all about!

Make FCBO great again, bring Dave back!

Ok, this is not a eulogy, Dave is not dead, Dave’s just not here….

That just isn't right that he has been banned. I have known Dave for around 25 years and consider him to be a valued friend. I hope that what ever issue lead to his being banned is resolved ASAP.

Bottom line, Joey: Your decision to make TMM the "Enforcer" was a total screw up by you.
Bottom line, TMM: You suck at moderating.
Bottom line, FCBO: You are in a race to the bottom by attracting the LCD who come and go. The guys that built FCBO have been given the finger.
I am totally disgusted.
Thanks for nothing. You literally have killed the the future of C-bodies by taking away the brain trust who built this place AND FINALLY GIVING C-BODIES THE RESPECT THEY WERE DUE by turning it over to IDIOTS.

Am I really pissed? Yah...

Last edited:
Bottom line, Joey: Your decision to make TMM the "Enforcer" was a total screw up by you.
Bottom line, TMM: You suck at moderating.
Bottom line, FCBO: You are in a race to the bottom by attracting the LCD who come and go. The guys that built FCBO have been given the finger.
I am totally disgusted.
Thanks for nothing. You literally have killed the the future of C-bodies by taking away the brain trust who built this place AND FINALLY GIVING C-BODIES THE RESPECT THEY WERE DUE by turning it over to IDIOTS.

Am I really pissed? Yah...

You should ask for your money back there goldy member...

That’s my concern also.
I find myself less inclined to respond to “help” questions on here these days.
Too many of these newbs just want to argue with you guys and are going to ignore your help anyway. I suspect they are also the ones that then complain to the mods or hit the “report” button.

@cantflip — thanks a real bunch for starting this thread. Dave was key to the now-defunct (no thanks, Yahoo) Polara and Monaco group, and he has since then contributed (note the tense) tons to this site. His doggedness helped unearth lots of info about our cars, and he spent tons of time posting what he found. We’ve all been benefiting from his contributions.

Since starting a convo with him through FCBO, I have been the direct beneficiary of his helpfulness. I am of course not alone: as many have already pointed out, he goes out of his way to assist members on and off line. He sometimes pokes folks along the way, so what?

Bottom line: I sure hope that a solution is found to this mess. @amazinblue82 posted the right pic.

Dave called my once in a while "cousin".
Because we could share a lot of thoughts about fuselage c-bodies and have similar opinions and attitudes.
Maybe despite the fact if they should leave the US or not:D:eek::rolleyes:

Anyway: I don't like ball less message boards so I would like to see him return:thumbsup:

Carsten

First, I can't even imagine what Dave could have done to deserve to be permanently expelled from the board. And the moderator who decided the action needs to resign. (Can we inpeach) ?
My activity here will be greatly reduced. I don't feel the need to help most of the newbys who really miss the point of what the C bodys represent in the world of Mopars. All the "big tire, hot rod motor, gibberish makes me Ill.
I know Dave fairly well and he, and his family, are fine, upstanding people. The kind of people one hopes to be acquainted with. Banning him from the forum does not speak well for those who choose to do so.
Remove part of the foundation and the collapse could follow.

I am relinquishing my esteemed position on the "you suck list", (assigned to me by Dave), until such time that he is reinstated on the board.

Anyways.... Hi Dave.... May our paths cross again.

Will.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back