Critters other mistress..1970 Plymouth Fury 3

CanCritter

Reaction score
Welp am thinkin Stans goin through withdrawals so have decided to start another restoration thread for the 70 Fury 3
l bought the 70 fury 4 years ago(pre GT) after seeing Dan Brooks artists rendition of a 70 fury..couldn't get the dam thing outa my mind and had never seen these cars before.. l was possessed...hada build one
1970-plymouth-sport-fury-gt-80788.jpg

so after a search localy it came down to a 70 fury 3 l could snag outa Calmar Alberta so bought it sight unseen and it was 4 months before l could steal time to get up there and haul it back to Calgary for my build
when the day came where l could find time to go grab it was pumped l was gona get to start my build so off l went.
Wasn't realy shure what to excpect but realy wasn't to worried as l was gona pull it apart and build me the black fury shown above so was fully excepting your typical canadian winter driven car from the 70s....
th_outtoseeplymouthday1006.jpg
outtoseeplymouthday1015.jpg
th_outtoseeplymouthday1007.jpg
WC5.jpg

Anyway seller pulls tarp offa car and am thinkin uhm...ah...er this is not what l was excpecting....thought being a farmers car interiors gona be rough for shure so wandered over to open door and shure enough there was seat cover on front and rear seats...knew theyd be toasted underneath....
outtoseeplymouthday1011.jpg
WC3.jpg

thinkin to myself door panels are looking like knew l wonder....
outtoseeplymouthday1012.jpg

well off with the seatcovers l say..lets have a boo...to my shock l find this....
homecomeing 013.JPG

homecomeing 013.JPG

not a rip....not a tear....not a single crack in the dash...the interior was simply spectacular with the exception of one headrest...the only and single flaw in the whole interior!!!
035.JPG

Last edited:
l wouldn't be throwin rocks buddy...lve seen yer 69...you wait till Graham sees it...am shure yer gona hear from him for hidein it...then again its not like lve been jumpin up and down yellin look at this either lol

Not a great colour combo to me but the car sure looks to be in nice shape.

I think I would leave that one alone...a grow to appreciate it like it is...looks like a survivor in those pics.

Have your plans changed after seeing it?

Dave

anyway interior was in great shape and exterior was just as good with one small dint and some typical rust on lower valances..was small touch of easly fixable rust on rear wheel wells...other than that car was mint...l was thrilled and my black Dan Brooks Build was down the drain.....
Dam car was to nice to touch...dam it...dam dam dam.....hada leave it alone...dam
anyway loaded the ole boy up and it was hesitant and would only start with help of starting fluid but got it loaded and off l went...
homecomeing 001.JPG
homecomeing 002.JPG

was late when l finally got fury loaded and on the road...being it was just gona go in storage till l could sort out what l was gona do wanted to wash it so wandered around tryin to find a all night carwash able to fit the 1ton and some 25+ft of trailer anyway finally found one nd this was the result that cold wintery morning....videos...was the first time lve seen it in light of day...6 am...

Last edited:
Not a great colour combo to me but the car sure looks to be in nice shape.

I think I would leave that one alone...a grow to appreciate it like it is...looks like a survivor in those pics.

Have your plans changed after seeing it?

Dave
as you said...car is definitely a survivor and will be left alone with the exception of basic maintenance and safety...the first video gives you a pretty good idea just how good the car is...engine bay needs cleaning but is no biggie and undercarriage is great...this is gona be a car l can simply enjoy and drive without being annal
imagesSMKXIHI3.jpg

Wow it does look to be in great shape...when that video started I couldn't believe how nice the front grille, bumper stainless and chrome was. Car sure was taken care of. Couldn't have been left outside much.

You must be soo happy to see it in such nice shape. I am imagining that the doors open and close perfectly!

Congratulations!

Dave

turns out l have another 2 tag car lmao....no idea why they couldna fit that all on one tag....
20161110_144422_1478837275001.jpg
20161110_144431_1478837274840.jpg

anyway have some time off this winter so am gona do some basic and cosmetic maintenance to the fury like replace front window after l finish practicing on Petes and Grahams cars...er l mean helping them.....clean up wireing ..coat floors and trunk to further protect them for next caretaker
car is a little 318 2 barrel and am gona leave it as it so l can get good gas mileage on hyway ect...simple cruiser...if l wana get my crank on have the 91 GMC or the GT once l get the balls to drive it....spring
:steering:
Anyway winters a good time to play inside up here and l figure with Petes 69/318 and my 70/318 we can do both over the winter and document a few things we do like fix a cpl small rust issues on his dutchmans panel on his 69 Monaco and put the vinyl back on it instead of painting....me and Graham have been needling him about it ...Graham has the same to do to his 70 300 so is a good opp for him to practice on Petes car to ...hehehe...sorry Pete...good helps hard to find :poke:
seems every time l turn my back theres someone honkin at the gate or l find someone under my dam hood...their like rats l tell ya....
20161104_140409_1478307581070_resized.jpg
20161104_140416_1478307576351_resized.jpg
20161104_142039_1478307565014_resized.jpg

thought they were helping till l realized they were just eyeing parts they needed...heck Fury 1 helped himself to my jack the other day....know Pete was eyeballying my lower rad hose pretty good at one point till he realized his lower rad hose was on right not left like mine...phew... am losein parts as fast as l can find them....
All kidding aside could only start car using starting fluid then was touchy to keep going all be it it ran...Graham put his timeing light to it and tried to sort stuff out...turns out distributor was set at ridiculous setting and carb needed slight adjustments but he got it running pretty dam good to point it would start and run by itself to the point that me..Pete, Terry and Graham all took a boot about the lot in it...was actually the first time l drove it since l bought it other than of and off trailer so am gratefull to have these stooges about...with me and Pete both having same 2 barrel carbs Graham has sourced out the carb kits for us and another sorted piece er two...with a little luck will actually learn what l need to know from these kind folks to keep both the 70 and 71 running in top notch form..thanx fellas

random pics...
20161110_144439_1478837274711.jpg
20161110_144443_1478837274457.jpg
20161110_144457_1478837195007_resized.jpg
20161110_144507_1478837190805_resized.jpg
20161110_144514_1478837185740_resized.jpg
20161110_144606_1478837089346_resized.jpg
20161110_144628_1478837085038_resized.jpg
20161110_144648_1478837081075_resized.jpg
20161110_144653_1478837077494_resized.jpg
20161110_144702_1478837073328_resized.jpg

was interesting to see 2/3 markings on the front of each fender...was also nice to see l don't have to chase down a washer reservoir or do anymore rust repairs to a dutchmans panel
the HD suspension is nice as is the heavyer alt...also came with dual block heaters which realy dosnt surprise me as farmers in these parts want reliable vehicles which would explain the alt as well

Last edited:
one of the only things l wana do to this vehicle is this....
005.JPG
002.JPG

in swapping from the standard grill to the hidden headlight grill is there anything l need to do to the headlights or there mounts to make a hidden headlight setup work?
will get motor and bar ect and center support looks to have holes for motor bolts so short of wireing dosnt look to bad to switch over...from what l understand bumper has to come off which is okay as it gives me oppd to clean up front end

011.JPG

What a great bunch you Alberta boys are... keep up the good work.

Critter, I think just driving this one is the best choice, thank you for putting the dream build on hold to save her. I also understand the appeal of having one you can live with a few parking lot bruises happening to. Small block fuel economy? That one I can't quite get my head around... sounds like a fantasy from here...

Of course with my low compression 440's, when I mention wanting fuel economy it really means I don't want to F things up hoping for power that won't happen without changing to higher compression and specialty gasoline.

The good news in central Florida has been the onslaught of WAWA gas stations opening all over the place and many (including a new one very close to home) have NON-ETHANOL unleaded regular available. I won't fall into a panic if I get stuck with ethanol laced fuel on a road trip... but not something I want to leave in there when I don't have to. It's good to be able to run low octane fuel we all would have viewed as pure crap years ago, and I'm thankful for the opportunity to run lawn mower gas in my cars.

Thanks for sharing this one with us.

Critter, your in box is full. I have most of what you need I think, for the hidden headlights. less the torsion bar. send me a list and I will make sure I have them and get them to you.

I like it. In 1979 one of my first cars was a '71 Sport Fury Coupe. It was same gold color inside and out with a lt brown vinyl roof. My late friend took me driving when he owned it. He purchased the car from a old friend (Geoege Lowes) who quit driving. George purchased a new car every year of his working years. I remember watching the Green Bay Packers on T.V with them as a 16 year old. In those days they called the Packers some interesting names instead of swearing. I still have several pictures of my '71 and one is my High School graduation. The experience with that car helped me decide to purchase my '70 Fury III ex-Washington State Patrol car.

you just vaulted to the top of my you suck list!

Congrats, Critter. that is a helluva find!! :thumbsup:

Critter, your in box is full. I have most of what you need I think, for the hidden headlights. less the torsion bar. send me a list and I will make sure I have them and get them to you.
Will sort it out....Joey if yer listening your mail set up.sucks....just sayin again

Nice find. I like your attitude in keeping it a survivor. There is no need to erase it's history and give it a lobotomy. It has a story to tell. Reminds me of my 69 Fury and is the same color. Congrats!

Back