Dana 60

I'll bite... Why on earth do you want to put a Dana 60 in your C body?

That rear is overkill for most cars it was ever originally bolted in. It's a truck rear end that's way too heavy and way too expensive.

If you are planning on making enough power to break the 8 3/4 (I'm assuming) that is already in your car, there's other options. A Ford 9" comes to mind as a better choice, but seriously, why?

I'll bite... Why on earth do you want to put a Dana 60 in your C body?

That rear is overkill for most cars it was ever originally bolted in. It's a truck rear end that's way too heavy and way too expensive.

If you are planning on making enough power to break the 8 3/4 (I'm assuming) that is already in your car, there's other options. A Ford 9" comes to mind as a better choice, but seriously, why?
Oh i was only asking. Had a buddy swap one into a 68 cougar and he was saying I should see if one would fit for me I currently have a 8 3/4 rearend with a brace welded on for reinforcement it came like that when I bought it i did upgrade the driveline because the one under was super skinny to a heavy duty one I’ve had no issues just wanted to know if anyone has tried

Oh i was only asking. Had a buddy swap one into a 68 cougar and he was saying I should see if one would fit for me I currently have a 8 3/4 rearend with a brace welded on for reinforcement it came like that when I bought it i did upgrade the driveline because the one under was super skinny to a heavy duty one I’ve had no issues just wanted to know if anyone has tried

I agree with @Big_John

Also if you have a brace welded on then you already don't have to worry about the housing bending. If you grenade your center section they are cheap to replace and axles are also cheap. My point is that if you even break something on your 8 3/4 it is cheap to replace it. You would still save money over paying what others pay for a Dana 60. I doubt the swap would be cheap...

Most likely you will have to modify the 60 to make it work for your application. If you don't you may need to change your wheels so you have the correct back spacing to fit your wheels under your quarter panels. It is honestly a whole lot of money for nothing. And if you have to modify the length of the axle you will need new custom shafts anyway when you could have just purchased stronger chromoly shafts for your 8 3/4 in the first place.

And lastly your car didn't come with a 60 so I see no value in swapping one in. I would put a custom 9" from curry in before I swapped in a dana 60 but thats just me.

To your question, Can it be done - Yes. I have done it.
I used an ebody dana......

Did it make financial sense - No.
It did make a 4200 lb Chrysler run under 13 seconds in 1/4

Would a Ford be cheaper - Yes....
but that's like having a 32' ford with a chevy motor

What do you do with your car? How much power does it have. How heavy is it?

an E body Dana is big money today. leave that for the restoration guys.
Go with Dr diff and order a new one from Strange made to your specs on every aspect.

Strange S-60 for Mopar, Ford, Chevy/GM

Dr Diff, great place

Exactly who I used, to ebody specs, gained me a little more room for big tires...
Occasional Drag racing, summer cruising.....bored and stroked 440 to 541, with 6 pack set up, Passon hemi 4 speed....other than that, it is stock...
Understood, it does not make a lot of sense.

Just a little info on the dana's.

DANA  r axle dia.jpg

CUDA 6023509-dana (1) .jpg

A dated dana for an e body will run you 2500 for a unit that needs rebuilt.

That price is what I paid about 2 years ago.

E-body is close (was measuring one up for a buddies 300H before he sold the car since he had one on hand). Better alternative is just to spec an S-60 through Strange like @413 recommended.

Really no reason to use one unless you're pushing like 600hp through a manual trans. The 8.75 will suffice.

Where can you get a dana 60 for a cbody? Do you have to modify anything just wanted to know if anyone has done the swap and where i can locate one
a race D60 weighs 15# more than a 9 or 8.75-------a cut down regular truck D60 weights 165# total.....

Last edited:
9 1/4 rear cut down (Ford ends) from a 90s dodge truck and a truetrac carrier is a easier to work with rear end. Almost as strong, weighs no more, and setup is way easier than a Dana

i got a 9.25 3.2+ out of a 74 gran fury to put in my 69 fury ----- the .9.25 limited on ratios available----- when chysler designed these they wanted them as strong as a dana 60----and they are close-----the weak spot is the c-clip axles.....

years ago i was cutting down dana 60 trucks and welding on 8.75 axle ends buying yukon axles and selling them to hot rod guys ---- i was always at the pick a parts to grab the posi units-----i found a dana 60 under a 72 truck that had the pinion snubber mount on the center section----this caused lots of controversy amonst the muscle car guys.....

Last edited:
i found a dana 60 under a 72 truck that had the pinion snubber mount on the center section----this caused lots of controversy amonst the muscle car guys.....
Yes it happened at least twice! A friend found a truck rear with then snubber mount, had it made into a car axle.

for you guys wanting to cut down a 60 and lacking the necessary appliance to weld it back straight--------locate your friendly offroad 4X4 shop that is building trail rigs-------most of them will just be bolting on factory made mods (these guys arent real mechanics)(yes they will have fancy floormats and $1000 wheels) ---- but there will be some that cut down front and rear dana 60,s for their jeeps----or they will have a machinist that does it-----when i started looking if was referred to 3 places --- the 3rd guy was a mold maker that filled spare time cutiing down dana 60,s and rockwells for the serious trail runners------he turned into the greatest resource ever----he has since died....

Last edited:
Yes it happened at least twice! A friend found a truck rear with then snubber mount, had it made into a car axle.
the ebay stock dana 60 snubber cost as much as the junkyard axle which was about 80-100$ at that time...i didnt want an aftermarket snubber on an otherwise stock looking axle---i used ebody 8 3/4 axles on it......and to 413----everytime i am at a junk yard i look under every old dodge truck-----kind of like that old guy that found a dime in the gutter........

Last edited:
-everytime i am at a junk yard i look under every old dodge truck-----kind of like that old guy that found a dime in the gutter........
Yep, my friend does the same thing, and has never seen another one. LOL. I Highly doubt the 9.25 is anywhere near as strong and a Dana 60. Take them apart and compare, or just lift one up.

I would not be caught dead with Ford parts on my Mopars! I put a B-body 60 in my bro’s ‘66 300 but I already had it. Had to weld on new spring pads. It’s a bit tight to the leaf springs, since it’s 2” narrower. I put 10” Cragars with 295/50 R15s and still used the skirts. I had to use 1/4” spacers. I later moved the springs inboard. In the first configuration, the tires would rub on the springs in hard corners. No problems, since. The rear sway bar helps, too.

Back