Dash Restoration

m0par0rn0car

Reaction score
I have a 69 Plymouth fury 3, the dash is terrible and destroyed from cracks and missing pieces. I've been looking around some for a new one or restoration services but was wondering what other people have done and what kind of luck they've had with it. I'm not sure what route to go with especially since this is a daily driver and I don't want to spend 1500 or something on a new dash

You could check with Murray Park, he might have a decent used one. 419-448-0293.

So if I never do this you can call me out but I do plan on trying the whole recovering with vinyl thing. Not too many threads on this board about it, but plenty on other cars and you tube. Many failures and a bunch of very average jobs. I've been reading and trying figure out why they failed and do something different. I only have 2 cracks but one is big and everything is brittle. We have a big pad and to hide the crap underneath we will need a good flexible filler and a layer of some sort of foam or fabric. I'm actually thinking heavy duty garden weed block. Same thing as recycled shopping bags. Non woven polypropylene fabric. The bumpier your filler the thicker the padding. If I fail I wasted 100 ish dollars and it could still be sent to abcmoparts. What I'm having issues with is deciding how I'm going to handle speakers as I must have sound and I cant preproduce the center 4X10 holes. Maybe leather punch but it needs to be consistent. Or aftermarket grills. Anyway its better to do it in the summer heat to get maximum stretch. I may practice on something else first. I'll have enough contact cement for a hundred jobs!

High heat resistant contact cement
4way stretch vinyl
some thin-ish foam or fabric
semi rigid calk.RTV

Thanks, keep us posted about the progress and results pls.
Preferably with lots of pictures. :thankyou:

So if I never do this you can call me out but I do plan on trying the whole recovering with vinyl thing. Not too many threads on this board about it, but plenty on other cars and you tube. Many failures and a bunch of very average jobs. I've been reading and trying figure out why they failed and do something different. I only have 2 cracks but one is big and everything is brittle. We have a big pad and to hide the crap underneath we will need a good flexible filler and a layer of some sort of foam or fabric. I'm actually thinking heavy duty garden weed block. Same thing as recycled shopping bags. Non woven polypropylene fabric. The bumpier your filler the thicker the padding. If I fail I wasted 100 ish dollars and it could still be sent to abcmoparts. What I'm having issues with is deciding how I'm going to handle speakers as I must have sound and I cant preproduce the center 4X10 holes. Maybe leather punch but it needs to be consistent. Or aftermarket grills. Anyway its better to do it in the summer heat to get maximum stretch. I may practice on something else first. I'll have enough contact cement for a hundred jobs!

High heat resistant contact cement
4way stretch vinyl
some thin-ish foam or fabric
semi rigid calk.RTV
This is polyester cloth and it pulled around quite easily. This could possibly work under the vinyl

20191130_161042.jpg

Back