Dead US auto brands last 20 years

Corporate greed and profits is what kills brands. The bean counters in accounting. The shameful mergers. All so CEOs and stockholders can line their pockets, like the whores that they are. I believe Plymouth could still be a viable brand if Daimler let it truly compete with Chevy. Look at FCA with Chrysler today, down to 2 models, they have totally ignored this brand, pouring all the big R&D $ into Jeep and Ram. Ford eliminates all passenger cars(except Mustang) because crossovers and trucks are more profitable. When was the last time anyone saw a Taurus commercial? A 300 commercial? An Impala commercial (GM sold 1 million Impalas in '65. The consumer used to have brand loyalty, corporate killed that with their antics. Look at the GM with their gas engines converted to diesels in the late late '70s-awful. Then they were putting Chevrolet engines in Cadillacs, Olds engines in Pontiacs. The customer felt betrayed, like when being married to a ***** and divorced themselves from that brand. Enough ranting.

Plymouth was Chrysler's innovator for years. The Plymouth division challenged the Dodge division and made them stay current.
My .02 is that Chrysler lost there sole when they became a foreign entity. Just living of yeaterdays aura

Delorean
smiley-scared003.gif

Plymouth was Chrysler's innovator for years. The Plymouth division challenged the Dodge division and made them stay current.
My .02 is that Chrysler lost there sole when they became a foreign entity. Just living of yeaterdays aura

seinfeld giddy up.gif

Ill always be a Plymouth Man.

I hope were not discussing Chrysler (and Dodge) in a few years. I see Fiat Chrysler is on the brink of merging with Peugeot Citroen.

plymouth became a carbon copy of dodge. think about the neons and mini vans. they became redundant and had less of a brand image. scions and saturns never really caught on with buyers. olds became overshadowed by buick. overseas, buicks are top sellers. the one that i can't understand is pontiac. that was gm's performance brand and was still a strong seller.,

the one that i can't understand is pontiac. that was gm's performance brand and was still a strong seller.,
Sales tanked at the end, and the last ditch effort of selling a Holden didn't have enough buyers.

Sales tanked at the end, and the last ditch effort of selling a Holden didn't have enough buyers.
I just looked up Firebird production numbers, only 920 made in 2003, 109 in 2004. Down from a falling 20,613 in 2002.

On a quiz show tonight: 'Which country produces the most cars?, answer: China!

Back