Dealing with Alzheimer’s

Reaction score
With all of the bullshit going on in the world, I thought to post something that I am dealing with that I am sure many others are and have been dealing / dealt with that truly doesn’t flippin’ care what color, race or creed one is: Alzheimer’s disease.

My Mom appears to be progressing in Alzheimer’s. She hasn’t chosen this path. My sister dealt with my Dad progressing through it for about 10 years. I did get to see my Dad near the end of his life and he still knew me. I was able to come to peace with my Dad before he passed after he estranging me 30+ years ago (after my next youngest brother passed in a car accident @ 19 in 1984).

My Mom has recently had some medical issues and in being treated, has forgotten who her daughter, my sister is. She thinks that she is someone else. It’s tearing my sister up. I am supporting my Mom and sister the best way I can. My Mom’s Mom had Alzheimer’s. Mom’s older sister has it (maybe just dementia, but what we call it doesn’t matter).

I remember President Reagan and Glen Campbell announcing their contraction of the disease, and how many wished them the best in their battle. Those celebrities contracting it reminds me how blind it is.

Spend time with your parents and older relatives. You never know when this disease may creep into their or your life.
My Mom just turned 83, has been physically active and walked for several miles a day (weather permitting). She still recognizes me and I am going to try and visit her before she forgets me. I also will be working with my sister to ensure that our Mom is taken care of the best way possible.

I will leave this post with a song from Glen Campbell that he recorded after learning he had Alzheimer’s. They won’t know what they will forget, who people are and the many memories that they had. ‘I’m Not Gonna Miss You’:

Amen bruddah....been there with my mom too. She would repeat stories over and over, and hear music playing in her mind,when there wasnt any.. hang in there and just support her the best way you can. Its what we have to do. She took care of you when you were born, now its your turn to ensure her dignity is maintained. God bless you and your sister.

HotRod20

May God be with you and your family during this difficult journey. Lean on Him and He will give you rest and comfort.

28“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Matthew 10: 28-30 NIV

I am saddened to hear that you are going through this. My father had Alzheimer’s for a longtime and it was when doctors didn’t seem to want to tell people. This made it worse because we could not understand why he was getting this way. He had many of the same symptoms that you mention and in his mind he went back to the war. This is a terrible disease and you need to remember that’s what causes the symptoms and not get upset with her. The sad part is in the moments when she will be good and knows there is a problem. As you say go visits as much as you can now while she still remembers you.

May God grant your mom and your family comfort and peace. This is a terrible disease. Don't know what else to say, but our prayers are with you.

My sis-in-law is nearing the end of her battle with it. She recognizes no one, including my brother. Since her nursing home is closed to visitors, my brother gets a weekly look through her window from outside. She doesn't eat or talk - she's forgot how to do both. A very sad thing for her and my brother to endure.

After dealing with my mothers own death in assisted living after about a decade of declining health. Locally our county social services unit is called "Aging and Disability Resource Center". Contact them for her current situation as well as future for her. Whether physical, mental or financial issues know what help is available. Military? spouse benefits? a lot you never thought about.

My Dad had dementia, I wouldn't wish that crap on anyone! It's not a easy time for any family when someone is diagnosed with it, and have to deal with the deterioration of one's mind. One Christmas, Dad left me out of everything and I got nothing, I took it real hard. Family saw that and tried to help me deal with it, it took me a while to accept the fact that the disease was the cause of this and eventually got over it, but still isn't easy to accept or deal with. I wish you & your family the best of luck during this troubling time.

That really sucks, but seems to happen more often than thought.
My Grandpa had this in later stages after Parkinson's, but thankfully my grandmother had the means to get him into assisted living.
On the other hand my inlaws move closer to us when my mother-in-law started down that path. Fortunatly or Unfortanatly, my wife and father-in-law knew what to expect as her Dad (M-I-L) went through this and lived with them during this. It is was hard on her when her mom would ask you who she was, or not know her husband.
It was really strange in that I was alway the Big Guy. She knew that all the time it seemed, however not sure if she knew how I fit into the picture.
My wife was 12 when her grandfather went through this and again helped her Dad with her Mom a few years ago and vowed that if it happened to one of us, we would go into assisted living.
My sister is now taking care of my Dad, who is on medication to help delay this, but seems to be starting down this path.
Based on my family history, I am likely screwed.
It sound like you are helping your sister as much as possible, it is a tough burden to shoulder, if you are the designated support person, whether by choice or circumstances.
Hang in there

That really sucks, but seems to happen more often than thought.
My Grandpa had this in later stages after Parkinson's, but thankfully my grandmother had the means to get him into assisted living.
On the other hand my inlaws move closer to us when my mother-in-law started down that path. Fortunatly or Unfortanatly, my wife and father-in-law knew what to expect as her Dad (M-I-L) went through this and lived with them during this. It is was hard on her when her mom would ask you who she was, or not know her husband.
It was really strange in that I was alway the Big Guy. She knew that all the time it seemed, however not sure if she knew how I fit into the picture.
My wife was 12 when her grandfather went through this and again helped her Dad with her Mom a few years ago and vowed that if it happened to one of us, we would go into assisted living.
My sister is now taking care of my Dad, who is on medication to help delay this, but seems to be starting down this path.
Based on my family history, I am likely screwed.
It sound like you are helping your sister as much as possible, it is a tough burden to shoulder, if you are the designated support person, whether by choice or circumstances.
Hang in there
I am sort of the support person. My Mom’s older sister is also in the disease and doesn’t drive (after totaling a Malibu @ a bridge when she lost control on black ice and hitting the Planter twice at the 4 way stop in town). My cousins are dealing with her and I am speaking to them to learn, provide support and apply what I can to help my Mom. I told my sister to call me anytime 24/7 to just even vent. She and her oldest daughter are spending the most time with Mom. I also am obtaining a copy of Mom’s living trust documents as I am the executor as I went with Mom to fill all of that paperwork out 30+ years ago.

Lots of information to collect, digest and coordinate.

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE SUPPORT!

My Grandfather had it (Mom's Dad). He had to go into assisted living when it got to the point where he couldn't live by himself any longer. This was happening while I was in the Air Force so I didn't see a lot of what other family saw. I get to remember him prior to his memory leaving. Thoughts and prayers for you and your family.

I’m very sorry for your mom, you, and all of your family. It’s a painful disease and situation for all involved. My mother had it bless her soul.

You and family are in my prayers

Sorry @3175375 about your struggles with Alzheimer's. I know I'm on the younger side (30 years old) of a lot of the members on here but my family has been bitten multiple times by Alzheimer's. My Pop-Pop on one side had it for the last ten years of his life and my Grandma on the other side. If you need any ideas for caring for your loved one, or, how to decompress as a caregiver feel free to reach out.

What I love about the forum is we can all be grease monkey's and help each other wrenchin, but we can also discuss the real life situations that affect all of us as men and humans. Prayers to you all and your families and know we all share the same struggles of life.

Y'all have a good weekend, happy wrenchin, and peace to your families.

Update on my mom:

My fiancé and I brought my mom back to South Dakota a little over a year ago and it’s been a blessing.
We try to spend every Sunday with her in taking her to church and having her with us at the acreage.
Today, we did that, which included my fiancé making a ground bison/vegetable soup, wheat bread and I made shamrock shakes. We visited and watched the Dodgers.
Her motor skills have degraded, but every day she spends with us is a blessing.

D1887B8A-F84F-45AE-BE61-F2F82750B1B7.jpeg

Update on my mom:

My fiancé and I brought my mom back to South Dakota a little over a year ago and it’s been a blessing.
We try to spend every Sunday with her in taking her to church and having her with us at the acreage.
Today, we did that, which included my fiancé making a ground bison/vegetable soup, wheat bread and I made shamrock shakes. We visited and watched the Dodgers.
Her motor skills have degraded, but every day she spends with us is a blessing.

View attachment 522694
You only get one Mom, you're doing the right thing.

Back