Denso alternator upgrade - not the 60amp mini

In my case I wanted to have a good charging alternator with minimum investment and since the wiring was going to be redone anyway - I tried. Total money spent was $11 and now I have 14 Volts at idle.

This one
1995 Honda Accord 2.2L 4cyl Alternator 130 Amp high output 1 Year Warranty
You will have to swap the pulley from serpentine to v-belt. It`s a one wire alt. and you will have to supply ignition signal so it starts charging.

That offset bolt pattern and different output lug might really be the ticket with the elephant ear mounts on my Barracuda. Stan I think you would be better off with a 89 Dodge van alt with 120 amp, change your brackets and then get a Sanden on there.

That offset bolt pattern and different output lug might really be the ticket with the elephant ear mounts on my Barracuda. Stan I think you would be better off with a 89 Dodge van alt with 120 amp, change your brackets and then get a Sanden on there.
I'm assuming that we are talking about the giant Formal alternator and bracket for Stans' car.

Going back in time to my '70, can you use the stock brackets?

I'm really thinking about this swap. Since the alternator self destructed on my car, I haven't been able to get a decent rebuilt unit and I don't have enough parts anymore to piece together a good unit.

I'd like to stay with the existing regulator and wiring.

I'm assuming that we are talking about the giant Formal alternator and bracket for Stans' car.

Going back in time to my '70, can you use the stock brackets?

I'm really thinking about this swap. Since the alternator self destructed on my car, I haven't been able to get a decent rebuilt unit and I don't have enough parts anymore to piece together a good unit.

I'd like to stay with the existing regulator and wiring.

No I was talking about Stan switching to the lower style brackets like yours and my Challenger, that he needs to convert to Sanden A/C comp. I really think that he could just use the Buchillion kit but have to get a set of belts by measuring instead of by vehicle. Agreed on decent rebuilds I think some of the rotors out there have been soldered too many times.

I hate that format of white on black....

That says all the Denso alternators have an internal regulator. I'm confused now... Here's a pic from the other thread that shows field wire connections.

picsart_03-28-08-37-46-jpg.74657

I don't believe that is true. Denso is in the alt business not the car manufacturing biz so I believe they have a set up to go both ways.

Come to think of it, I'll bet that entertainment center on the seat of Stan's formal, is probably filled with champagne.

Ultima 14668B - Alternator | O'Reilly Auto Parts

I'm going this route, Just thought someone might want to see a link for options.
That Tuff Stuff unit is nice, but we all aren't Daddy Warbucks.:poke:
View attachment 82480
That will work very well at a great price.
Just note that it is 70A and single pully.

Come to think of it, I'll bet that entertainment center on the seat of Stan's formal, is probably filled with champagne.
Beer budget for this guy... Steel Reserve 211.

That will work very well at a great price.
Just note that it is 70A and single pully.
I think for my application , it will be perfect. I don't want to test my wiring, the only thing I'm really going to have are an electric fuel pump and lights. My stock unit drops below 10 volts idling with the lights on.

I think for my application , it will be perfect. I don't want to test my wiring, the only thing I'm really going to have are an electric fuel pump and lights. My stock unit drops below 10 volts idling with the lights on.
I agree, Doug. I wouldn't chance pumping more than 70A through 50 YO wiring.

Finally! someone has come out and said it. 100+ Amps on 50+ year old wiring. I would be bringing along some marshmallow roasting sticks so you have something to do while you watch your car go up in flames :) LOL!!!

Another consideration is a seldom talked about thing, CEMF = Counter Electro-Motive Force...

The higher the amp the alternator the stronger the CEMF becomes. the bigger the chance you have of burning v-belts off the car and the lower the fuel economy as well from the car trying to turn this bad boy.
Besides, the only time you need the big amps is if the battery is near dead and you want to run all the accessories at once.

Otherwise the Alt is not putting out all that much amperage...

I personally don't see the need for anything stronger than a 60 to 70amp alternator since there isn't that much to power on these cars unless it is a formal style loaded to the teeth with options...

My Polara only had a 35amp alternator from the factory... it made it all its' life until I juiced it up to a 50amp..

Just sayin' is all....:rolleyes:

I'm just looking for smaller and lighter. Stock wiring will not be in either car.

Stan, I would not venture further than your AAA towing plan allows

Of course no auto parts store is going to be able to get that giant thing you have on there now.

Back