Denso alternator upgrade - not the 60amp mini

No I'm talking about the black one you pictured
That alternator plus the Bouchelon bracket kit should bolt onto my 440. BUT, I don't know if the other components on the pulley system are different on a 100A alternator engine. Bouchelon says the Sanden compressor conversion won't work with the 100A setup.
I dunno wtf to think. Gonna have to do this by trial and error as each situation comes up. Kinda like a 4 speed...
And it's only a 25-hundred dollar car... :BangHead:
:realcrazy:

You need to sweet talk one of the members that have a sanden on their car with stock bracket and using Buchillion conversion and get a pulley to original bracket distance and see if it matches yours. I really do not see why the sanden will not work with the big alt, and I think you are getting the shine on from Buchillion to save themselves the hassal of having to deal with you as a one off customer if something isn't right.

You need to sweet talk one of the members that have a sanden on their car with stock bracket and using Buchillion conversion and get a pulley to original bracket distance and see if it matches yours. I really do not see why the sanden will not work with the big alt, and I think you are getting the shine on from Buchillion to save themselves the hassal of having to deal with you as a one off customer if something isn't right.
Thought that myself.

I hate that format of white on black....
That says all the Denso alternators have an internal regulator. I'm confused now... Here's a pic from the other thread that shows field wire connections.

I don't believe that is true. Denso is in the alt business not the car manufacturing biz so I believe they have a set up to go both ways.

Ultima 14668B - Alternator | O'Reilly Auto Parts

I'm going this route, Just thought someone might want to see a link for options.
That Tuff Stuff unit is nice, but we all aren't Daddy Warbucks.:poke:
View attachment 82480

The Denso alternator referenced in the Dippy thread (and the Ultima) is the Toyota 4Runner alternator that I mentioned in my first post. It *is* internally regulated, is 60 amps, but appears to have only a few years of usage in the mid-80s. It is the alternator that all those aftermarket 'mini' kits are based on. It probably puts out higher amperage at idle than our OEM alts do, but this alternator doesn't interest me (not saying it's wrong for anyone else). The Mopar Denso is *externally* regulated, and available in 90 0r 120 amps (but the 120 is a bigger case). Those work with our existing VReg although charging wire and bulkhead modifications should be considered.

My question on that Tuff Stuff would be how much it makes at idle. Years ago all of the high-amp Mopar-cased alternators had lower-than-stock output at idle, a bad trade-off for many of us. I don't know if that has changed, but I would want some engineering-type data on that before I bought one.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As for high amperage needs and 50-year-old wiring:
I can't speak for others, but I have an electric fan (20 amps?), 25 amps to a pair 150w aircraft lights, 90/130w H4 headlights (~20 amps), a big stereo amplifier, MSD ignition and eventually an electric fuel pump and EFI ECU. So my 60 amp alt is marginal if I have multiple things on at once (granted, I'll never have all of them on at the same time). I ran a 4-ga cable directly from alt to battery to drop the load on the bulkhead and ammeter, and my MSD, lights and all other stuff are run by battery-fed relays triggered by the ign switch - so I have reduced my load thru the bulkhead and ammeter. So I'm ready for a bigger alt.

Stan are you in need of a big 100-amp alt? I have one, but don't know if it's any good.

Stan are you in need of a big 100-amp alt? I have one, but don't know if it's any good.
Thanks for the offer but I already have one on the shelf.
Sad part is I can't remember ever putting one on the shelf. But it's there... lol

So your interest in a Denso is same as most of us, just wanting to get away from a dinosaur before it goes disco?

I am swaying towards a larger amp unit now myself. Wife and I are now looking at vintage campers to pull with the 65,which, will require an a/c system.

This is the 70 with stock mounts for the alternator and a Bouchillon bracket for the Sanden.

After thinking about it, I think that the big alternator bracket might use one of the mounting points that the new Sanden bracket uses. The one on the far left next to the heater hose connection. I'm going by memory though... and it's been many years since I owned a car with the big alternator.

Alright Stan where is the picture of big alt.?
Be right back...

ok. Here you go.
I think we're good...
bpe4700.jpg

20160618_145818.jpg

20160618_145800.jpg

20160618_145707.jpg

20160618_145624.jpg

20160618_145818.jpg

20160618_145800.jpg

20160618_145707.jpg

20160618_145624.jpg

Last edited:
I see no reason now why the Sanden conversion shouldn't work with the monster alternator.
Maybe different length belts but that's it?

I studied the pics and I can't see any reason it won't work.

I studied the pics and I can't see any reason it won't work.
Well. With everybody's help (thank you), we now know how to switch to a modern alternator, a modern compressor, or both.

And poor Fury Man still hasn't got his question answered about mini-Densos. lol.
Sorry man. My problem got solved. :p

And poor Fury Man still hasn't got his question answered about mini-Densos. lol.
Sorry man. My problem got solved. :p
That's not the first time I helped get your problem solved, meanwhilst myself was unsatisfied. :BangHead:

I have a goofy sheetmetal bracket (I think came from a motorhome engine) that puts the MopaDenso in a good spot (but would need longer belts). I'll either go with that, or put it in with the standard non-AC brackets (like other folks have done) and accept a buried power cable on the back of the alt.

That's not the first time I helped get your problem solved, meanwhilst myself was unsatisfied. :BangHead:

I have a goofy sheetmetal bracket (I think came from a motorhome engine) that puts the MopaDenso in a good spot (but would need longer belts). I'll either go with that, or put it in with the standard non-AC brackets (like other folks have done) and accept a buried power cable on the back of the alt.

From what I read here: Vintage Chrysler electrical repairs and updates , It looks to me like the stud needs to be shortened, the insulator for the splash shield tossed and the shield itself cut away around the stud.

I think I'm going to try this myself. I just have to figure out where to buy one to get the best bang for the buck.

Back