Disc Brakes for an Imperial

macr0w

Reaction score
Wow! So trying to find drums for this thing is not easy.
Thinking about trying to do a disc conversion but that apparently isn't easy either.
Does anyone have any recommendations?
Who has done it successfully?
What parts did you use?
Who did you buy parts from?
I was kinda happy to find the RamMan website and see he has a kit.
I even watched several of his videos and I liked his demeanor and southern accent. Being from NC I recognize that guy and thought okay, cool.
But after a few warnings and a little digging I see that there are a lot of people not too happy with this guy.
Are there any other people who make kits for an Imperial?
Are there any sources for drums for the stock rebuild?
Has anyone put a 2 pot master cylinder on the stock drum setup?

Last edited:
For a stock rebuild, get in touch with Craig @mobileparts. He is a member here who sells older, high quality parts. He has an extensive knowledge of our cars and will be big help to you parts and information wise. If you leave him a message he will call you back. Good luck

I’m in the process of putting a ‘64 back on the road and will be using this master which I’ve already installed but the car is still a ways off from being back on the road. I bought this one through the suggestion of others that have successfully put it into service. I would keep the drums and make sure your brake booster is good as well.
62 63 64 65 66 DODGE CHRYSLER PLYMOUTH DUAL CONVERSION MASTER CYLINDER | eBay

Keeping the drums sounds fine but where can you find drums?
I've yet to take them apart but the guy who sold it to my son said they were turned about as far as they will go.
I'm worried that I'm going to get it apart and need new drums.

Keeping the drums sounds fine but where can you find drums?
I've yet to take them apart but the guy who sold it to my son said they were turned about as far as they will go.
I'm worried that I'm going to get it apart and need new drums.
Unless the drums are scored up a lot, you may not need them. Minor wear or some scoring is OK.

Why don't you look before getting all concerned? Does the car need brakes?

BTW, doing the dual MC conversion is pretty easy and I've done it a couple times now. Use a MC from a 67 up car and make up the lines. I've used a distribution block from a later car for one conversion and a block from Inline Tube for another. There may even be some kits available.

Dr. Diff said nope.
AAJ said nope.
Leed said nope.
Scarebird said nope.
MagnumForce said nope.
Wilwood said nope.

:(

Try this guy.

Engineered Components, Inc. - Your One Stop Brake Shop!

If the spindle dimensions and backing plate footprint is the same, his Cbody kit should work. Wheel bolt circle will be regular instead of Imperial but he might be able to change that if one of his hubs works with the rest of it.

I've met him at Carlisle. Very knowledgeable no nonsense kind of guy. Pretty sure his name is Ralph.

Kevin

Try this guy.

Engineered Components, Inc. - Your One Stop Brake Shop!

If the spindle dimensions and backing plate footprint is the same, his Cbody kit should work. Wheel bolt circle will be regular instead of Imperial but he might be able to change that if one of his hubs works with the rest of it.

I've met him at Carlisle. Very knowledgeable no nonsense kind of guy. Pretty sure his name is Ralph.

Kevin
First problem is going to be the Imperial 5" wheel bolt circle.

‘64 was the last year for the tapered axles, yes?

That master cyl which @detmatt references looks like a '67 C-body master cyl to me. As it also replaces the '66 C-body power brake master cyl, I suspect so, especially as the '66 and '67 used the same boosters. BTAIM

The bulk of the places looked (above) tend to be something of "mass market suppliers". Which keeps those earler Imperials off of their list. The observed problem with Scarebird, is that the OEM replacement parts he re-purposes in his lists can change as the available supplies of the particular parts go away, it seems. I do like the orientation of using OEM-level replacement parts rather than something "another entity" might have fabricated, but that's just me. Might also check www.web.imperialclub.info , too, for leads.

The 5-on-5 wheel bolt pattern is also on larger GM cars and some Lincolns, as I recall. Not sure about any interchangeability, though.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Last edited:
That master cyl which @detmatt references looks like a '67 C-body master cyl to me. As it also replaces the '66 C-body power brake master cyl, I suspect so, especially as the '66 and '67 used the same boosters. BTAIM

The bulk of the places looked (above) tend to be something of "mass market suppliers". Which keeps those earler Imperials off of their list. The observed problem with Scarebird, is that the OEM replacement parts he re-purposes in his lists can change as the available supplies of the particular parts go away, it seems. I do like the orientation of using OEM-level replacement parts rather than something "another entity" might have fabricated, but that's just me. Might also check www.onlineimperialclub.org, too, for leads.

The 5-on-5 wheel bolt pattern is also on larger GM cars and some Lincolns, as I recall. Not sure about any interchangeability, though.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

I think the Lincoln is 5.5x5, same as the F100 pickup.

Kevin

I think the Lincoln is 5.5x5, same as the F100 pickup.

Kevin
It might well depend on model year as i recall seeing some Buick Riviera 15" chrome wheels on a middle 1970s Lincoln Continental, years ago.

Up to ‘67 Imps the bolt pattern is 5 on 5.5” and ‘67 and later is 5 on 5”.

I did the single to dual master cylinder conversion on my 64 Imperial, one of the easiest things I've done on the car
MC for a 67 Plymouth fury w/4 wheel drums and the distribution block from in line tube, soaked everything down with PBR blaster about a week ahead of time
The distribution block from in line was backwards for what I needed, its held on with a bolt and a located tab that goes in a hole in the frame, I simply bent the tab up and installed it the way it needed to be, had to stretch the block to wheel cylinder lines a bit to get to the block, but other than that it was pretty easy, a couple of hours work and I feel much safer
Onlineimperialclub tells all about it

Thanks for the replies guys.
I actually met a guy here in Charlotte who stopped me and said he had a 66 and already been through all of this stuff.
He gave me his email address.
So I guess the RamMan really has a bad rep, huh?

So I guess the RamMan really has a bad rep, huh?

I don't really know... He's knowledgeable and I've posted his videos from time to time. He's also kind of a jerk when things wrong, and that I get from his YouTube channel.

I also posted this and got some real eye opening comments.
New C-Body Spindles for Disc Brakes.

Gets good at post #30

Back