Disconnect Steering Coupling

Cazman

Reaction score
I am removing my stub frame on my 68 300. The FSM says to disconnect steering gear. In the manual I cannot find how to disconnect. Is it just that roll pin in the coupler?

Does it come out from only one side? As I hit it it does not seem to move.

Chances are the pin has not been removed since it was installed at the factory, Soak it real good with P B Blaster, or try some heat to get it to move. Most of the older cars do not have the little plug to keep moisture out anymore.

Chances are the pin has not been removed since it was installed at the factory, Soak it real good with P B Blaster, or try some heat to get it to move. Most of the older cars do not have the little plug to keep moisture out anymore.
Wow.. Didn't know there was a little plug. Never saw one. Now, I have to dig out the parts book!

To the OP, consider buying a set of roll pin punches. They are like pin punches, but they have a centering "nub" to help align the punch to the pin. About $10-12 on Amazon.

Wow.. Didn't know there was a little plug. Never saw one. Now, I have to dig out the parts book!

To the OP, consider buying a set of roll pin punches. They are like pin punches, but they have a centering "nub" to help align the punch to the pin. About $10-12 on Amazon.
It is something Chrysler came out with in the 80's. It is a little orange rubber piece that goes thru the roll pin to help keep moisture out. Since the pot couplers are the same all the way up, you can use it on the older cars.

Also, be VERY careful about hitting that steering coupler with a hammer. Somewhere (about that year?) Chrysler went to a collapsible steering column shaft. The steering column shaft collapses like an old radio antennae & is only held at the correct length by two tiny plastic "sheer pins" which break very easily & require disassembly of the steering column to fix. Anybody know the exact year Chrysler went to the collapsible steering column shafts?

Back