Distributor Cap and Rotor aftermarket numbers

Ross Wooldridge

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am in need of replacing the distributor cap and rotor on the Mopar Performance distributor I use on my 66 Monaco w/440. I was told that any mid 70s to mid 80s Chrysler electronic ignition V8 cap and rotor would work, so I ordered parts for a 1978 New Yorker with 440.

I received Standard Motor Products parts, in the ugliest Blue I've ever seen...
SMP # CH 409 (CAP)
SMP # CH 303 (ROTOR)

The rotor does not fit - too small to slide onto the shaft - the distributor shaft it is supposed mount on is much larger. I can't guarantee the cap is correct either - it looks OK, but I would rather just get the correct part combination.

If anyone can provide Neihoff or Blue Streak or SMP part numbers and application, I would appreciate it! I should be able to just walk into any parts store and pick up the correct parts easy-peasy - but of course, no....

Thanks!

Hi All,

I am in need of replacing the distributor cap and rotor on the Mopar Performance distributor I use on my 66 Monaco w/440. I was told that any mid 70s to mid 80s Chrysler electronic ignition V8 cap and rotor would work, so I ordered parts for a 1978 New Yorker with 440.

I received Standard Motor Products parts, in the ugliest Blue I've ever seen...
SMP # CH 409 (CAP)
SMP # CH 303 (ROTOR)

The rotor does not fit - too small to slide onto the shaft - the distributor shaft it is supposed mount on is much larger. I can't guarantee the cap is correct either - it looks OK, but I would rather just get the correct part combination.

If anyone can provide Neihoff or Blue Streak or SMP part numbers and application, I would appreciate it! I should be able to just walk into any parts store and pick up the correct parts easy-peasy - but of course, no....

Thanks!

If you get the distributor number, any good parts house like NAPA can cross reference the distributor to the correct cap and rotor. Is this a dual point performance distributor or an electronic one?

Dave

As the MP distributor has a stock-looking housing, I always figured it was all normal Chry elec ign stuff. I believe the MP catalog has those parts available, in a package? If you buy them in ACCEL, they'll probably come in the normal beige color, EXCEPT after Holley bought ACCEL, it seems they have no Chrysler caps, etc.

Echlin Ignition (i.e., NAPA) MO20 cap and MO13 rotor. Cap is tan, but with a black vent on the cap. I put in "1975 Chrysler New Yorker" in the vehicle list to get to those listings.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Last edited:
Rotor is a ch-303 the caps are all standard (CH 409 usually) from 64-86 on the aluminum housings.. I have some nos MB tan ones if needed and can throw in a rotor. The MP distributors are basically a standard distributor with a bit of a curve and a different heavier shaft bushing. Seriously! You have to love Standards blue plastic. Usually good stuff, stay away from the Airtex-Wells, E-Tron etc usually so thin they crack putting them on. Hey is it a dual point (cast iron housing) ? If so different cap and rotor. Any chance you have the distributor number?

Last edited:
It's a Mopar Performance Electronic diz kit - no points. Not a cast iron housing dual point, nor a Prestolite

The standard issue CH 303 rotor does not fit - that's the issue.

The Mopar Performance part number(s) shows up NLS

I'll try 75 New Yorker...

Have the number have some charts on them. a standard cap and rotor should work.. The number a 369xxxx?

Hey do you have the funky cast reluctor looks like knife ends by chance?

image-jpeg.jpg

Just shoot me a message, kind of strange. Might just have gotten a bad rotor, have had a few.

Buy an Accel brand cap and rotor. Tan cap, heavy duty cap and rotor, worth the extra $'s IMHO.

They do make good caps. If your not going points car look at marine applications pretty heavy duty and have a seal also.

Yes it is a MP one kind of special used for race applications, completely different animal. Surprised you have that usually found in tach drives. I might have a rotor that I can get a number for you from. If it looks like this goes into a aluminum Prestolite case so you will need a Prestolite style cap and rotor. Shoot me a pic with the cap off and the old cap if you can.

aaaaaaaa.JPG

I bought the Accel kit - matches up perfectly. I think my rotor from SMP was/is a misboxed part.

All good now I think!

Cheers everyone and thanks for your help.

Great! I have gotten a couple of them that were so tight I tossed them.

Used to happen to me all the time that's why the last few years I buy only old stock for rebuilding the distributors, don't want any fails! !00% so far are good, much better parts.

Back