DIY fan shroud....sorta

68blackbird

Reaction score
Since these are not just laying around and are expensive when you find one, I decided to "fab" one myself. There are a couple links where guys made one from scratch, which was my 1st idea, but while walking around the pick-n-pull with my buddy this weekend, I came across this one out of a Lincoln, don't even remember what year, I'll find out next time I go back. Anyway, so far all I have done is just cut it up, the diameter is a tad big, but I can live with that, a little fiberglass here and there, may have to fab a bracket or 2, but think it will be just what I needed, especially when it starts heating up down here in South Texas....so far I've got $11.45 in it. :icon_biggrin:

1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Looking good....almost like it belongs there. But you are right...the shroud is a necessity for proper cooling on any motor.

My car needs one, so I'll be watching your results for final product. Want to do mine when you're done? :) lol

And that's what separates C-body guys from all the rest while they read their Jegs catalog while sitting on the crapper. We get off the pot.

And that's what separates C-body guys from all the rest while they read their Jegs catalog while sitting on the crapper. We get off the pot.

Have to admit it is nice to pull out a CI or NPD catalog and get stuff, but much more rewarding to make what you don't have...Necessity is the mother of invention.

Measure twice, cut once....

Had the shroud pretty much done, ready to attach, one quick mock up, or should I say f*&$ up, I did not account for the fan not being centered in the radiator, so had to cut both sides of shroud, used the "long" piece to attach to other side and re-glassed it all...pita. Think a quick trip to see Harry at Oasis Liquor store, come back and finish this up...

P3070075 (Large).jpgP3070076 (Large).jpg

P3070075 (Large).jpg

P3070076 (Large).jpg

Done...about 5 hours later than I wanted, really wanted to have it installed and drive it today because we have some crappy weather starting tomorrow....oh well. Let the paint dry overnight, install tomorrow. Feel real good about this little project, the shroud should really help during the dogs days down here. Car always ran 180°-185°, creep up to 188° in stop and go traffic, which I know is well within limits....but that was never in temps above 75°. It will get a good test this summer.

P3070075 (2) (Large).jpgP3070076 (2) (Large).jpgP3070077 (Large).jpgP3070078 (Large).jpg

P3070075 (2) (Large).jpg

P3070076 (2) (Large).jpg

P3070077 (Large).jpg

P3070078 (Large).jpg

Very nice job. I'm seriously thinking of doing this for my car. I haven't done any 'glass work but this is as good a time as any to try. Thanks for posting!

Very nice job. I'm seriously thinking of doing this for my car. I haven't done any 'glass work but this is as good a time as any to try. Thanks for posting!

Fiberglass is pretty easy to work with, like anything else, you get better the more you do it. I can give you one tip, don't try to do a big area at first, do small bits till you get the hang of the right resin/hardener ratio, too much and it will set before you use it all, too little takes much longer to set.

Shroud came out good, looks like it made for it.

P3080077 (Large).jpgP3080079 (Large).jpgP3080080 (Large).jpg

P3080077 (Large).jpg

P3080079 (Large).jpg

P3080080 (Large).jpg

Very pleased to report that the new modified shroud seems to have improved cooling system. Took the car for a drive this past weekend, about 15 minute cruise, 75° outside temp, then went to local burger drive thru, was in line idling for 15 minutes, car temp would creep up to 186°, then back down to 181/182°, so it appears cooling system is working properly. I have seen a few threads on overheating issues,throw this out there, one thing many seem to omit is having the radiator cleaned and rodded professionally. Those kits you get at parts stores do not adequately clean the radiator. Back in my Firebird days, I saw guys throw a lot of $$$ at fancy radiators, electric fans, when a plugged up radiator was the culprit. Anyway, good to go here, just waiting for all this rain to end(not really complaining, we need it) so I can get some miles with the top down, Kel

P3160082 (Large).jpgP3160083 (Large).jpg

P3160082 (Large).jpg

P3160083 (Large).jpg

Well I was just sitting on the crapper with my tablet reading this post and almost dropped it in the tub!

JK!

Great job on the shroud!

Tablet? Crapper? Together?
I'm not that bad yet.
I still have that need to open to a random page on a thick catalog.

Back