Dodge Caravan Discontinued After 36 Years

That's good. . . I've also been looking for a nice clean K-Car.
IMG_1395.JPG

I've got one, but not for sale...

You can be nostalgic about the mini-van but just to remind you it killed off the station wagon,LOL!!!

I'm sorry to inform you that the Gas crunch of 72 killed of the Station Wagon, not the Mini-van. People/families needed a family vehicle, for a short period they made conversion vans, but gas was still expensive and full size vans were/are gas guzzlers and the people complained. Iaccoca saw this and came up with the brilliant idea of a mini-van for a family vehicle. And as they say, the rest is history!

I drove a Dodge Caravan as a loaner within the last year while I was having some warranty work done on one my vehicles. I have to agree with Dave....that Caravan was very comfortable to drive, plenty of room and I think the V6 in it had 270 hp. I wouldn't say no to owning one.

That's a shame, but they made billions of mini-vans. I'm sure anyone who wants could pick up a decent one for the next 100 years or so. Transmission issues and Mitsubishi engines aside, my mini-vans hauled everything from a family of 7 up and down the east coast, to 20 full sheets of plywood and a C body stub frame on the roof, all getting better than 25 mpg on the highway. Versatile beasts the were.

IMG_2936.JPG

I'm sorry to inform you that the Gas crunch of 72 killed of the Station Wagon, not the Mini-van. People/families needed a family vehicle, for a short period they made conversion vans, but gas was still expensive and full size vans were/are gas guzzlers and the people complained. Iaccoca saw this and came up with the brilliant idea of a mini-van for a family vehicle. And as they say, the rest is history!
Then why could you buy station wagons until they killed the Caprice and Olds bubble wagons? Ford killed them a little earlier, but they made plenty of them past '72. Might have hurt their numbers, but it didn't kill them. The folks had a '79 Country Squire and an '84 plain Jane hoopty, fun car to bomb around in! They even mad the Celebrity wagon and other associated GM makes until '90 or so.

No! The wagon lasted well into the 90s.
Conversion Van's happened for at least 30 years ....

Then why could you buy station wagons until they killed the Caprice and Olds bubble wagons? Ford killed them a little earlier, but they made plenty of them past '72. Might have hurt their numbers, but it didn't kill them. The folks had a '79 Country Squire and an '84 plain Jane hoopty, fun car to bomb around in! They even mad the Celebrity wagon and other associated GM makes until '90 or so.
:rofl:

I started my rebuttal and got pulled away .....

No! The wagon lasted well into the 90s.
Conversion Van's happened for at least 30 years ....
But sales when in the tank during & after the crisis, they had to come up with something new. Some folks still wanted gas guzzlers but a new era was being born! Go ahead and disagree, I don't give a f^&%.

I cannot forsee kids that grew up in the mini-van wanting to restore one down the road in 25 years.
By then the electronics would have next to nothing in support.
I see the electronics issue is happening today with late model vehicles.
Vehicles that are now 25-30 years old have electronics failing and parts are becoming an issue. One can only speculate what will happen down the road.
Sure Dodge made millions of Caravans that can be used for parts, but eventually there will be a day you will be asking.."when was the last time you saw one?"
LOL!!
Guys,I am having fun with this thread! LOL! :popcorn:

Our MV serves many uses from healing the family, to construction materials, car parts... you name it. Fold the seats down lay a trap out and load it up. If it's too big I use a trailer. Someone said if the Japanese and European brands can sell cars why cannot the Americans. There will be a small car in my fleet for as long as I have to commute for work.

The mini van is what really put Chrysler Corp. on solid ground and helped them start turning a profit and appeasing the share holders. It all started with the K car, lengthen and widen the chassis and put a van body on top, you now have a mini van. They sold like crazy because of their versatility and women loved driving them. I had an '88 Grand Voyager and currently have an '05 Grand Caravan SXT. The things I have hauled over the years and how nice they were to drive is why I'm a fan. They aren't too bad to work on either. The mini van is a big reason Chrysler is still around today, even in its diluted state. How much longer is anyone's guess. RIP Grand Caravan, Town & Country and Grand Voyager. Thanks for a job well done.

I had a 2007 grand caravan and loved it. Pulled my pop up all over the country.
702LPWMeHkIfQ0sC5KnIASUXatkpVWFmqD-juDYC1rz-PmurahdPE8XVmLw50sEkRnTH5yvQBGjuQ7gWfw=w1157-h867-no.jpg

But sales when in the tank during & after the crisis, they had to come up with something new. Some folks still wanted gas guzzlers but a new era was being born! Go ahead and disagree, I don't give a f^&%.

:lol: You must or you wouldn't have brought it up but not before rephrasing your statement ... :thankyou:

Impala dead, Caravan dead. No surprise. When was the last time we have seen an advertising blitz on either of these vehicles? We know them because we are die hard car guys here. But the general public are spoon fed what management wants to sell, which are the highly profitable SUV, crossover and pick up segment. Then as things always cycle: the economy tanks or fuel prices soar and these cash cows sit on the lots. The Impala assembly plant in Michigan is being converted to build the GMC Hummer all electric pickup. Is that because of demand or profit? One Hummer will probably have a base price of 3 equivalent Impalas. Electric motor: less parts than a combustion engine, so less labor, more profits. The auto company executives create and deserve their their own demise.

I believe the Pacifica is a superb vehicle and exudes quality that is consistent with the way Rams have transformed into excellent vehicles as well. For my eyes, they are the best styled minivans on the market today too.

pacific-side.jpg

And the interiors reflect the quality/refinement of the upscale Rams as well. As stated, a decontented version of the Pacifica will emerge soon likely to be called the Voyager. The tie up with PSA that is underway is likely to also allow the Chrysler and Dodge passenger car brands to continue as well but designed on one of the PSA flexible platforms used for vehicles in this category in Europe, and the new versions of the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger should have a more European flavor to them that moves them more into the BMW, Mercedes, Genesis, Lexus category where the profits and sales would be more viable than continuing on with their current platforms that date back to 2004. The tie up with PSA is a really encouraging development in my view and the already excellent management team at Chrysler these days that is really going all out to be the best in their classes lately is a very good sign in my opinion.

The merger will make the Chrysler - PSA group the 4th largest vehicle manufacturer in the world and will surpass GM or Ford in volumes, thus securing their continuing on in the industry on a solid footing. I am confident they will do well for the first time in a long time. And PSA recently posted one of the highest profits in the industry of around 8 percent, which is very good for an automobile manufacturer. Its leadership under Carlos Travares has been excellent and will merge well with FCA's progress under Mike Manley and John Elkan I believe.

Last edited:
I have never been a fan of minivans, so no sympathies here...

I thought the caravan was long gone anyway, replaced by the Pacifica/badge engineered?

I lament the decrease in sedan production though. European and Japanese makes still sell tons of sedans, coupes, wagons, and verts. Why can't America make 'em?

Because America is not a protectionist market that allows for the production of unprofitable vehicles. My gawd, I haven't even read any further into this thread and it's already a train wreck.

The Caravan was scheduled to end in 2016 and stayed years past its sell-by date as an alternative to low-priced Korean garbage. The fact that production is ending is no end-of-days story (but of course that's what gets people to click and re-post clickbait). Production is ending to make room for a new Chrysler-brand product. In the mean time, current-minivan Pacifica has been re-freshed for 2021 and finally loses its fail-face, borrowed from the 200.

2021-Chrysler-Pacifica-Pinnacle-18.jpg

The Caravan was scheduled to end in 2016 and stayed years past its sell-by date as an alternative to low-priced Korean garbage. The fact that production is ending is no end-of-days story (but of course that's what gets people to click and re-post clickbait). Production is ending to make room for a new Chrysler-brand product. In the mean time, current-minivan Pacifica has been re-freshed for 2021 and finally loses its fail-face, borrowed from the 200.

View attachment 357434

I personally liked the old face better - more distinctive. But it doesn't matter, as the new vehicle will be even better with a refresh and remain at the top of its class. Only the Honda Odyssey is competitive with it presently.

It wasn't the front end looks of the Chrysler 200 that killed it, it was the fact that they couldn't make any money on it and cut too many corners in trying to make it comparable with Camrys and Accords, plus it was difficult to enter gracefully in the rear seat.

Last edited:
but eventually there will be a day you will be asking.."when was the last time you saw one?"
LOL!!
I can ask that right now about a lot of cars!! Such as....

'70s Toyota Corona or Corona Mk II
VW Dasher or Sirocco
Horizon or Omni
Porsche 924
Dodge Dynasty or Chrysler New Yorker of the '90s.
'70s Cilica
Ford LTD II
Monarch or Granada

I can go on.

My opinion,

You could get a Caravan out the door for 20k...

Base price on a Pacifica is $35k.

The Caravan was tried and true at this point with the 3.6 (with its 283HP) and 62TE 6 speed transaxle. (same drivetrain under the Ram Promasters also)

On the reality standpoint, because of this move, 1500 are out of a job in Windsor Ontario....

Nick

Back