Domed pistons suit 318 for fitting 340 or 360 heads.

Dodgy Dick

Reaction score
Me again, Is there any Yankee (by the way where does that term come from) sources of domed pistons that will maintain or increase compression when fitting the 340/360 heads or 65cc alloy heads on a 318?
R

Me again, Is there any Yankee (by the way where does that term come from) sources of domed pistons that will maintain or increase compression when fitting the 340/360 heads or 65cc alloy heads on a 318?
R
It comes from the Dutch word Janke meaning "Little John". The Dutch settlers in New York (then New Amsterdam) used to the term to describe English colonists.

It got used in the song "Yankee Doodle", which was a British song they used to mock the colonists that were fighting in the revolution. Since we weren't a bunch of snowflake pussies, offended by everything back then, the colonists embraced the name to screw with the British.

Here, in the southern states, it refers to anyone living in the north, but if you're in the north, it refers to people living in Vermont.

But to your pistons, are you sure you want to raise the compression a lot? Is high octane gas available where you are? A mistake made by some engine builders is to have compression ratios that are too high for available gas. They resort to having to buy expensive race gas and that kills all the fun.

Hi, Thanks for that interesting Yankee story, James Cagney is great with Yankee doodle dandy, in our vernacular a doodle is slang for a prick, sorry penis!!
About the fuel we can get 98 Octane at the pumps

Hi, Thanks for that interesting Yankee story, James Cagney is great with Yankee doodle dandy, in our vernacular a doodle is slang for a prick, sorry penis!!
About the fuel we can get 98 Octane at the pumps
If "Yankee" refers to people who live in the north eastern United States, and "Doodle" refers to pricks in the land of oz, then "Yankee Doodle" should mean we have a lot of not nice people here. Sounds like Washington D.C.

A 65 cc SBM head will be closed chamber. Close chamber heads and dome pistons do not mix. Assuming you're @ .030 over, a zero deck flat top with 5cc valve reliefs, .039 head gasket with 4.04 gasket bore will put you at 9.46:1. What are your goals for this motor?

Gidday Dana, I wanted an engine which looked standard in my very original 58,000 mile 1969 Dodge Phoenix,AKA Fury 111,but had some extra Oomph!..but without a too lumpy idle i.e mild cam.
I started planning a stroker kit with appropriate 4 barrel etc,but after reading everybody's quite different opinions, mostly saying leave it alone or leave as 318.
I considered using 2nd hand 340/360 heads and a 2nd hand iron 4 barrel manifold topped with maybe a thermo quad.
But I have had feed back to just buy aftermarket alloy heads rather than probably spending just as much on reconditioning the old iron heads.
I can buy complete alloy heads here for about AU$1500 a pair with big valves etc.
Original Chrysler stuff of this vintage is thin on the ground here in Oz, it's even hard to find any decent 318's or parts, 340's are out of the question but some 360' are out there hiding somewhere? I don't have a big budget and there are so many options to consider. Here is my current idea, save my original matching engine, have a 2nd hand 318 short bored .060, deck block to 5 thousands/in above pistons, thin gasket, Alloy heads, budget old 4 Barrel iron manifold, rebuilt Thermoquad and block hugger extractors and big single or dual exhausts. My car CURRENTLY has A single exhaust with sports mufflers and I love the V8 sound.
OK Dana (and others) what do you say.
R

Everyone's idea of Oomph! is just a little bit different. But it's been my expeience, big valve heads on a 318, unless you have a stiff rear gear, takes away Oomph. If you do not have to take the 318 .060 over Don't. You'll be better off .030 keeping the cylinder walls thicker and more rigid ( ring Seal). I'm with you 100% on the thermoquad! A 318 can be respectable in a big car, for cruising, But it's easy to over do it and end up with a lazy engine.

Back