Don Carltons shop <---dont miss this

C Body Bob

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Ok guys do I have a treat for you. If you are fans of old vintage Pro Stock racing & the Mopar Missile & Don Carlton
I have been working with John Laube. He is friends with Carl Dan Penley. Carl worked with Clyde Hodges who was an employee of Don Carlton.
John has given me permission to repost/share these original vintage photos with you guys. These have never been published or posted untill the last few days. They are the property of Carl Dan Penly of Hudson, NC. There is an enormous amount of pictures & stories. Much of it about the trials & tribulations of getting the Hemi Colts to work. Some of the A body cars that where built. Mr Penly is up in years & memory's can be a little fuzzy. So everyone is posting info to the best we can. Don Carltons shop was in Lenoir, NC. Clyde & Don lived just down the road from the shop in Hudson, NC. Please feel free to ask questions. This is for all of us to enjoy. I will try to get the questions answered. It may be tough as I'm not dealing directly with Mr Penley. So I will start with Clyde Hodges business card

mm6.jpg

Dons old Cuda

This is one of Dons early cars. A Super Stock Cuda. This is a newspaper clipping from a local paper.

mm1.jpg

Very cool!

I remember seeing all of these cars racing back in the day!

Sturat McDade

Sturat McDade also from Hudson, NC. He was the driver of the "Billy The Kid" cars. He left that team & drove this car from Don Carlton. Don Carlton also drove it. Again this is a newspaper clipping

mm4.jpg

Some other cars

These cars where built at Don's shop. Raced at many local tracks along the east coast. Raced class & bracket raced

UPDATE: Have been told that these two pics of a Duster are the same car & this is the Famous cable car (wire car) after it was first sold.

mm39.jpg

mm40.jpg

mm41.jpg

Last edited:
I forgot to mention

John Laube's brother is who had the large tent set up at the Nats. And had all the restored Missile cars & Jimmy Addisons Silver Bullet.

Both of those first two Duster pictures were of the Wire Car after it was first sold. It's now owned by Arnie Klann who also owns the Motown Missile Challenger. Both have been completely restored from the ground up. Nobody has any information on that Cuda.

Wire 2015 Nat's c.jpgHenderson 2014 005.jpg

Wire 2015 Nat's c.jpg

Henderson 2014 005.jpg

Yes it is. I was tired last night & should have posted some of the notes that go with the pics. I have more to come. Lots of stuff on the Colts also. I wish you guys to come to the NC Hall of Fame show comming up in Henderson, NC. A lot of the legends come down & many of them bring their car. Good chance to get chatty with them

Back