Don Carltons shop <---dont miss this

Street colt

colt9.jpg
Lol yea a Hemi Colt is a Ticking Bomb, a 340 Colt that is a good Idea I could only imagine How Fun that car would be but I don't know where in the Hell I am going to Find a 2 Door Colt.

They are hard to find , they rust out easy but this is one we found some time ago , about 10 years to be exact . Terry always wanted a Colt after seeing my 72 . This was a 74 . It took him a long time to finish but it turned out Great . He used a Chris Alston rear kit with a fat man fab ft. end kit . He used a small block 318 . take a look at the pics . He used a hood from a 72 car .... The only 2 things he said he would have changed was setting the engine back for more front of motor clearance , this would have alllowed him to lower the motor and back down on motor compression , I think it was above 12 1/2 to 1 requiring race gas , drove and rode great .. last to pics are from my 72 build , this was long before any kits were avaliable . cut out the firewall and trans tunnel set engine and trans in place and built car around them . colt5.jpgcolt6.jpgcolt7.jpgcolt12.jpgcolt11.jpgcolt10.jpgcolt13.jpgcolt14.jpgcolt15.jpg

colt5.jpg

colt6.jpg

colt7.jpg

colt12.jpg

colt11.jpg

colt10.jpg

colt13.jpg

colt14.jpg

colt15.jpg

colt9.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks

That's sweet!

Thanks , Terry's car turned out great . Early rod and custom built his car . I ran a small side shop my brother and I called I.R.C. inc. built a few mopar cars but most were Chevy's I would chuckle when they would pay me , a mopar guy getting money to cut up chevy's . By the way I.R.C. stands for Imitation Race Car . Race cars , boats and airplanes have the same problem , you have to have a drag strip , or a large hole of water or a landing strip to enjoy . We have roads going every where ... built a street rod 41 Willys and drove 50 thousand miles , the only trailer in sight was the one pulled behind it .

I like the 72 body style better. So there is a kit to build one of these with a small block ? Do you have the info on that ?

C Body Bob , Let me make things a little clearer . The front end kit was designed for an Anglia / Metro hub to hub from Fatman fab. on the Colt's you need a narrow ft. track width . This kit's width is 45 1/2 from hub to hub . on the rear set up it came from Chris Alston Chassis works . To get the correct size you start with some measurements . If I recall the Colts were 60 inches wide from wheel opening side to side , then you take off 2 inches for tire to sheetmetal clearance, 58 inches then find out tire and wheel width , example being 19 inches total for both tire and wheel , times 2 19+19 = 38 inches then subtract that from the 58 inches = 58-38 = 20 inches then subtract another 2 inches for inside tire clearance and you end up with 18 inch wide frame from out side to out side . This measurement you give when ordering the rear kit . Alston will weld it together on a jig . from there you must fab all the stuff in middle to make a complete chassis . A couple of more pic's .
The first one shows most of the from clip kit with the exception of the top control arm brackets , a piece of 2x3 tubing is welded in between top and bottom , the next pic shows this done , note the frame gets wider in th front so you can get a wider radiator in place , 3 pic shows what you get from Alston , frame rails , drive shaft loop , 4 link , with front 2x3 crossmember welded in place , there are 2x3 outside frame rails but that is something that has to be fabed . Sorry for the kit issue . Putting any size motor in one of these cars is like 10 lbs of crap in a 1 lbs bag . Sitting in my Colt you could put your left foot on the front wheel well tub and reach over and pat the right rear tub with your right hand .. SMALL is not the word to describe it .colt16.jpgcolt17.jpgcolt18.jpg

colt16.jpg

colt17.jpg

colt18.jpg

Ok I got cha now. That helps. It's a kit, but more of a build to spec kit. The reason I was asking is that there is a kit for front to do a V8 conversion on a G body Daytona. Thanks for the info & pics

Back