Don Carltons shop <---dont miss this

Diamond racing engines was, perhaps still is, Wally Booths shop in Michigan.

attachment.php

The acid dipping was harsh on them. And so was the racing. I'm surprised they didn't clean & prep it better before they started assembly

The acid dipping can make it discolor but usually not that bad if it is thoroughly rinsed quickly.
It's quite possible that the process had been arrested but not before the obvious effect. Here's
ours fresh out of the bath. Rear wheel openings are already stretched 3" forward here.

acid-1.jpgacid-2.jpg

acid-1.jpg

acid-2.jpg

Last edited:
Is the Body in the pics acid dipped ?

Memo to myself: Read all pages before asking. ;)

I saw the Duster and the Cuda at the Mopar Nats. what an engineering marvel those cables are... great cars in Mopar history

Acid dipped in Toledo and then hauled body to Detroit to be welded into a steel
shipping cage. Then it was trucked to Indianapolis to be coated in electrostatically
charged primer (black, like when you get new sheet metal parts now).

Total, not including my gas and time to pull my Haulmark an hour to Toledo and
then on to Detroit....and then all the way to Detroit again to pick it up when it
came back....$3K. It took over 2 weeks to get it done.

I doubt it saved much weight in our case as we weren't chemically milling it, we
just had it dipped after all of the chassis welding was done to have it cleaned and coated for corrosion prevention and preparation for body and paint. In other words, unlike the race cars, ours didn't come back "flimsy".

Since this car will never ever be in any kind of inclement weather again, it will never
rust.

Just beautifull. You bringing that to Henderson
I would like to say yes but it was there last year....even though it is wearing new shoes
now (pic). We are breaking ground on a new shop and I haven't heard any requests to
hitch up the trailer yet.

Duster 2015 Nats.jpg

Duster 2015 Nats.jpg

Back