Don Garlits Show - 2016

The next day (Saturday) I arrived at Garlit's Museum and parked with the other C-Body folks.

View attachment 103054

I found some familiar C-Bodies: Stan's NYB, Jeff's New Yorker "Parts Car", and Wil & Ellie's wagon.

View attachment 103055

View attachment 103056

View attachment 103057

Since the guys were already out roaming the swap meet, I took a stroll around and took a few photos:

View attachment 103058

This is how Jeff's Parts Car will look next year. . .
View attachment 103059

This car is the '62 Plymouth Savoy I mentioned in another thread. Its got a 383 / 343 HP engine with two four barrel AFBs.
View attachment 103060

I think this '62 is the next step in the evolution of Chrysler's drag race program. Its a 413 with ram induction. It replaced the 383 car (as depicted above). I saw a car like this one put ALL the Chevy 409s on the trailer at Aquasco Drag Strip back in '62. They were running four speeds and the Plymouth was using a TorqueFlite.
View attachment 103061
Here is another '62 with a 413.

View attachment 103062
View attachment 103063

Christine was there. . .
DSCF2282.JPG

These '55 two-tone Chryslers are so cool.
DSCF2283.JPG

You wouldn't think pink would work on a car very well, but I think this is stunning.
DSCF2287.JPG

The next few shots are of Don Garlits' '27 T-Roadster. It is totally old school: channeled over a '32 frame, hairpin radius rods, '32 grill, reversed wheels, flathead Merc with Ardun Heads, Merc hub caps and trim rings. The interior is all red leather, and a full complement of gauges is in the dash. I LOVE this car!
DSCF2291.JPG

DSCF2292.JPG

DSCF2295.JPG

DSCF2294.JPG

DSCF2293.JPG

DSCF2296.JPG

DSCF2302.JPG

Christine was there. . .
View attachment 103064
These '55 two-tone Chryslers are so cool.
View attachment 103065
You wouldn't think pink would work on a car very well, but I think this is stunning.
View attachment 103066

The next few shots are of Don Garlits' '27 T-Roadster. It is totally old school: channeled over a '32 frame, hairpin radius rods, '32 grill, reversed wheels, flathead Merc with Ardun Heads, Merc hub caps and trim rings. The interior is all red leather, and a full complement of gauges is in the dash. I LOVE this car!
View attachment 103067
View attachment 103068
View attachment 103069
View attachment 103070

View attachment 103071

View attachment 103072
View attachment 103073

Here are a few shots from inside Don's Garage. They accurately illustrate the evolution of the AA fuel dragster, as innovated and developed by Don Garlits

DSCF2299.JPG

DSCF2298.JPG

DSCF2300.JPG

Headed back to the C-Body area (actually the "rear wheel drive area"), and I ran int these two. Jeff & Vivian. Jeff: You are not worthy.

DSCF2304.JPG

Then I ran into these two. . . Stan strenuously denied that - at no time - did his shoe come in contact with Wil's shoe. . .
DSCF2306.JPG

Talk about yer C-Body rif raf! What a great time I had with some of the best people ever: Ellie & Wil, Jeff & Vivian, and Stan too. Perfect weather and people too.
DSCF2307.JPG

The next day (Sunday), it was time to head home. Back to the Auto Train. . . But this time I'm on the lower level. During the weekend, I lost the power brake booster, which I temporarily repaired with 2000 MPH tape (duct tape to those uninformed), but I still had no power brakes. I briefed the Auto Train loading crew at both ends of the trip, and everything went smoothly.
DSCF2308.JPG

DSCF2309.JPG

Loaded and headed for home.
DSCF2309.JPG

The Garlits Meet is terrific. If you are anywhere, anyhow able to do this event, DO IT! Thanks again to everyone who was there. I'll never forget this experience.

Headed back to the C-Body area (actually the "rear wheel drive area"), and I ran int these two. Jeff & Vivian. Jeff: You are not worthy.
Why does everyone keep saying that... Oh yea... I understand...

So RIP... You would recommend the autotrain with a berth for my next Carlisle adventure? Gotta say the price of the ticket would be a wash after my fuel and motel expenses...

So RIP... You would recommend the autotrain with a berth for my next Carlisle adventure? Gotta say the price of the ticket would be a wash after my fuel and motel expenses...

Yes. Definitely. But make sure you get a roomette / sleeper. I had a great time on the train. Met a bunch of interesting people, and I didn't hafta deal with I-95.

EDIT: And I forgot. . . Dinner and breakfast are included in the fare.

Last edited:
Rip, it was a real pleasure meeting you. I'm glad that you came all the way down.
How did you make out with the leaking brake booster?

Yes. Definitely. But make sure you get a roomette / sleeper. I had a great time on the train. Met a bunch of interesting people, and I didn't hafta deal with I-95.
Maybe we'll get Stan to join me...
BlobServer

Dibbs on the top bunk...

Rip, it was a real pleasure meeting you. I'm glad that you came all the way down.
How did you make out with the leaking brake booster?

Stan:

I slathered the front of the booster with duct tape, and that improved the enormous vacuum leak somewhat and reduced the pinging in the engine, but the brakes were still a challenge. I just took it slow and careful,. and I got home safe and sound.

BTW, does anyone here remember the 75 Imp that was on ebay several times? It was in Vegas, had a 999 color code, and said Special Handling on the data plate. We crucified it pretty good . Well, the guy that bought it was at The Show (without the car) and we talked about it. Apparently it was better in person than indicated by the pics.
Damn, I can't find the threads on it, tho. . .

BTW, does anyone here remember the 75 Imp that was on ebay several times? It was in Vegas, had a 999 color code, and said Special Handling on the data plate. We crucified it pretty good . Well, the guy that bought it was at The Show (without the car) and we talked about it. Apparently it was better in person than indicated by the pics.
Damn, I can't find the threads on it, tho. . .

He had to be in Formal heaven with 3 cars there...
I sure was...
At first I thought he was the Black 74 Crown guy...

No one has mentioned the really cool gift from you and Vivian to Will and Ellie.
Unfortunately I didn't get any pics. Who has them?

No one has mentioned the really cool gift from you and Vivian to Will and Ellie.
Unfortunately I didn't get any pics. Who has them?
Will has them I suppose... He hasn't been on for several days... I guess he is on the road... They had quite the agenda set for themselves.

Dammit I am so bummed I missed it again this year. Maybe next year the week push back should help freight availability.

Sorry for the delay getting my pictures up of the Garlits Meet. I've been wrapped around the axle ever since I got home.

My Garlits adventure began with the Auto Train. To avoid any hassle, I arrived early. . .

I saw your 300 at the show. How much did the Auto Train cost for you and the car? I wanted to buy the 66 Fury vert in the car corral, but my buddy had bought a 69 Dart convertible the day before and we were already trailering it back to northern Virginia with his truck. Was thinking about the Auto Train as an alternate way to get the Fury home if I had bought it on the spot.

Also, we went Saturday and felt we saw everything. It was a long drive from where we were staying in Oviedo, so we decided to pass on going back Sunday. Did we miss anything by not going Sunday, or was it mostly the same cars and vendors?

Last edited:
Dammit I am so bummed I missed it again this year. Maybe next year the week push back should help freight availability.
Did you get to the other side of your truck troubles?
I saw your 300 at the show. How much did the Auto Train cost for you and the car? I wanted to buy the 66 Fury vert in the car corral, but my buddy had bought a 69 Dart convertible the day before and we were already trailering it back to northern Virginia with his truck. Was thinking about the Auto Train as an alternate way to get the Fury home if I had bought it on the spot.

Also, we went Saturday and felt we saw everything. It was a long drive from where we were staying in Oviedo, so we decided to pass on going back Sunday. Did we miss anything by not going Sunday, or was it mostly the same cars and vendors?
Sorry we didn't get to meet you... Next time come on over and spend a minute or two. I do understand though, even with the small numbers we had all three rings going...

I was lucky with the Auto Train trip. I've had an AMTRAK Master Card for several years that accumulates points for AMTRAK travel. The roundtrip for me was free. However, you should go to their web site and price out the trip you want to take. I know the prices fluctuate a little depending on the time of year. Its a great way to travel.

Like you all, I just did the Saturday show. I stayed in Ormond Beach, and it was just a little far to do Sunday and also get back to the Auto Train for the trip home. I also lost my power brake booster which made driving the car a constant sphincter muscle excercise. . . Sorry I missed you all too.

Last edited:
Back